PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #1  
Mela A

S/C/G: 270/260.5/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Ketogenic Diet for PCOS/Insulin Resistance

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else trying to do a Keto diet to lose weight and improve their PCOS and insulin resistance?

After trying just about any kind of diet, I've realized the only time I was ever truly successful with weight loss was during a very low-carb phase of my life. And so I am endeavoring once again to do this in hopes of kicking this weight as fast and healthy as possible and also, in the process, hoping to someday gain my fertility again so that I can have dem babies.

Those of you not familiar with the diet, you consume less than 20g net carbs per day and your body basically goes from turning carbs into energy to using fat to fuel the body. It's a lot more complex than that, but that's the short of it. Anyway it regulates blood sugar and helps with insulin resistance, so I'm hoping it'll be the one diet that really, truly helps me for the long run.

Anyone else doing this?
MelaAnaetoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/210/140

Height: 5'4"

I thinking of trying the ideal protein diet. Very similar but you eat their food for the most part and you have a coach. I need the extra help though!
ktgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #3  
Mela A

I think the ideal protein diet must put you into ketosis. I had a friend who did amazing things on that diet. I might be on it for a really long time so I'm trying to do it by learning how to eat low carb and supplement things. So far so good but it's only been 5 days. lol.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #4  
Mela A

Well I have decided to log my progress here so that we can make a fair judgement of how things go on a Keto diet with PCOS and Insulin Resistance.

This is the morning of day 9 and I've dropped 7.9 pounds so far. As far as I'm concerned that is a clear cut sign that my body is happy with what I'm doing.

I haven't felt hungry and my cravings for sugar and pasta have stopped. Yesterday I made a keto pizza with this cheese/almond crust (http://cookyscreations.blogspot.ca/2...zza-crust.html) It ended up being awesome tasting pizza for only 3 carbs per slice!!!

I am also following a natural path for PCOS. I am not taking Metformin or the birth control pill. Here is what I am currently taking from my naturopath for the PCOS as well as Candida.

Inositol - 1 TBSP per day
Insinase - 3 tabs per day
FNGL Formula - 4 caps per day
A Fibre Supplement

Here is what I am taking besides this to aid my general health:
Red Krill Oil - 2 500mg caps
Vitamin D3 - 6,000-8,000 IU per day
Coconut or MCT oil - about 2 tbsp. per day

I did no exercise after the first day until now. So this week I will be adding in some HIIT circuits and some yoga and maybe (hopefully) some walking. I'd love to hit my 10 pound mark this week!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #5  
Mela A

Holy crap. After 9 days on the keto diet I'm 9.5 pounds down. It's pretty incredible. My body is just shedding like no tomorrow. I only hope it keeps working like this!!! I know it's got to slow down soon but man I'm in for the ride.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

That's great! I'm glad it's working for you. I want to keep seeing how it works out for you.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #7  
Mela A

Well, I cycled out of my Ketogenic diet for the weekend, to eat some fruit and kind of recharge my system. Tomorrow I'll go back into the diet (Today is Mardi Gras so I have to indulge in some low-carb pancakes tonight) since Lent is starting and that feels like the right time to get back at it.

I hit 10.1 pounds of weight loss on the weekend as well, so I know the low carb thing is really working for me. I'll update later in the week with how things are going again once I'm back in ketosis.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:18 AM   #8  
Started 4th of July

S/C/G: 180/168/140

Height: 5'6"

hi,
how are you doing?

I've just started the keto diet and am loving it.
FinallyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #9  
Mela A

FinallyFree - I have taken a couple weeks off the keto diet and struggled with my control so I'm pretty frustrated with myself, but I'm looking to get back to it in the next week here.

I wasn't sure just how effective it would be, but I suddenly got my TOM after a year and a half and I'm convinced that keto played a part in that, so I'm dedicating myself to it once again.

How is it going for you?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I was on a ketogenic diet all of last year and after being told I was basically infertile at 25 - I got pregnant and now my husband and I have a healthy little boy (2 months old). I am also epileptic and the diet really helps control my seizures (seizure free since Nov 2013 after having uncontrolled seizures).

I had to go off of it while I was pregnant and am now in the process of getting back on it so that I can take this baby weight off and continue to improve my health. When I struggle, I bump up my carb amount by eating fruit, dark chocolate, and black beans for a day or two, and then gradually dropping my carb amount back down.

When you do the induction (dropping immediately to 20 carbs a day) you lose a bunch of weight and it will eventually level out to losing a little bit each day/week, instead of losing in chunks, but it is the only diet I have been on where you do consistently lose.

I am not doing the induction because I am still adjusting to being a mom and going back to work etc. so I am not in a place where I can manage the induction stress. Instead, I am lowering my carbs little by little. Today my goal is 60% fat, 25 % protein and 15 % carbs (65 grams of carbs or less). After staying at that level for a week or so I am going to try and get to 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs with 50 grams or less for a week or two before dropping it again.

My advice is to try not to beat yourself up if you slip up, and if you do, just stay positive and work on lowering your carbs/upping your fat.

Good luck!
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:12 AM   #11  
PCOS and Tuesday weigher!

S/C/G: 288/295/175ish?

Height: 5ft4

I'm really interested in your progress Mela as I'm thinking about trying Atkins (once I finish the book!). I had success with the IR diet but feel I need something more 'radical' to haul me out of the rut I'm in (yup, regained all the weight!).

Last edited by knoxie; 03-29-2015 at 04:12 AM.
knoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #12  

How are all of the Keto/Low-carbers doing? Any successes?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/112/97

Height: 5'0"

I started the Keto diet in February 9th, 2015. It has helped me so much! I try to keep my carbs less than 20g per day but I cheat once a week. I don't crave food anymore but its still so hard when your moms such a great cook and your dad makes the puppy face at you when he wants the whole fam to go and eat out together.

Also, to keep myself motivated, I buy myself low carb snacks and frozen meals to have sometimes.

I've lost 30 pounds and went from borderline obese to normal weight in less than 3 months. I'm still trying to loose another 14 pounds.

I also don't take any meds, because I'm scared I'll have to take them all my life and I heard from some that once you stop taking them, the weight gain returns. I want to do this on my own.

The first month, my weight dropped like crazy. But now, I loose around 2-4 pounds per week, which is good enough for me considering my recent weight loss goal.

The best part, my period came back! Last time I had it, which was over 10 months ago, it lasted 3 days. This time, there were the usual period cramps, and it lasted around 6-7 days. Hopefully, it continues to make an appearance every month. Fingers crossed.

One thing to remember though, weight loss may gradually slow down with Keto because your body gets used to it, so once in a while, you should try to trick it for a day or two before resuming.

I hope this information was helpful. I definitely suggest this diet to people struggling to lose weight. And good luck!

Last edited by StayingAmbitious; 05-15-2015 at 05:36 PM.
StayingAmbitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #14  

That's fantastic StayingAmbitious! I have had great results with the keto diet too (helped with weightloss, controlling my epilepsy, and regulating my period/helping restore my fertility). I am having trouble sticking to it lately (just had a baby and people keep helping out by bringing us food - normally food that includes pasta, rice, bread, etc.), but i am working on getting back on track.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 152/112/97

Height: 5'0"

Aw congratulations on your baby! Im so so happy for you :') Ahah completely understand your struggle. I know how hard it is to stay away from good pasta and yummy bready stuff. But you can do this!
StayingAmbitious is offline   Reply With Quote