Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #1  

Default I need to be in control

I'm 20 years old, 5'1 and 236lbs. I've never been happy and all of my problems is directly or indirectly attributed to my weight problems. This includes my terrible anxieties and depression.

I'm going to turn 21 in April. I'm not excited about it. I lost 78lbs by the time I graduated high school and got down to 189lbs, but I gained more than half of it back. My goal was that by 21, I would've lost all of my weight. Instead, I've steadily gained and I'm almost back to where I started.

I need to lose weight and I figured I need some support from this forum. Here's my goal:
  • Exercise daily, even if it is only 10 minutes a day
  • Drink a lot of water
  • <30g carb (I have PCOS)
  • 1200-1400 calories
  • No sugar at all (avoid artificial sweetener except stevia)

I can't lie, I binged today and yesterday. I think a lot of my problem is not being aware of what I'm doing (I need to meditate), TERRIBLE sleeping habits, and lack of routine. I just have to get back into it and I'm eager to share my progress with everyone.

Last edited by jeciao; 01-09-2015 at 03:08 PM.
jeciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

First off, "all of my problems is directly or indirectly attributed to my weight problems" is problematic. Skinny people have problems too, as do healthy active muscular people, and everyone else. Your weight is just one problem. It might cause some other problems too, but it isn't everything.

Anyway, that aside:

Congrats on making a plan, and for doing it so early. The last two times I lost weight I had gained back all of it PLUS another half, so I think you've done great just by catching yourself earlier. If you do that (gain back only half of what you lose) every time, you'll get to your goal weight and stay close to it!

I like your plan about exercising. I'm personally not adding exercise to my plan at all yet (although I do commute to work on foot), but I think that sounds like a really good way to go about it, because you're setting a really realistic and easy goal that's also easy to surpass (because once you get out for a walk you're more likely to stay out longer... just as long as you get out there). In the past when I've set my goals too high (like "I must do a full workout three times a week!") it made me fall off the wagon entirely. So I might steal your idea when I start adding exercise in.

I don't think it's bad to binge sometimes. I calorie count, and I log everything, so it's easy for me to see when I've been eating too much recently, which in turn makes me want to eat less. My advice is to not let yourself feel guilty about it. Sometimes you need to eat more and that's fine. As long as you're not doing every day for an extended time you're doing fine.

Routine is overrated. Mind you I do log everything every day so I guess that's routine. But it's not like I do it on a schedule, or immediately after eating. Sometimes I enter things before, sometimes after, sometimes not until the end of the day (or the next morning even). I just set myself a requirement that I can't miss any days. Mind you, if you think routine helps you, go for it.

I sleep well and I think it's because I let myself fall asleep when I'm tired, even if it's "too early." It annoys my husband when I sleep as early as 6pm some nights, but if I'm tired it means I need it. Usually it's a result of staying up too late for a few nights when I do that. In the short term it can cause problems because I'll wake up too early the next day for instance, but eventually things equalize again. Maybe I'm not the person to give advice on that because sleep is something that comes naturally to me... but then, maybe being good at it makes me an expert. I'm really not sure.

Anyway welcome! and best wishes. I think your plan is good and I'm happy to have you here.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiora View Post
First off, "all of my problems is directly or indirectly attributed to my weight problems" is problematic. Skinny people have problems too, as do healthy active muscular people, and everyone else. Your weight is just one problem. It might cause some other problems too, but it isn't everything.
It isn't a reach to believe that my personal struggles are all directly or indirectly attributed to my weight problems. My anxieties, for example, began when I went into puberty young. This made me more aware of what I physically look like and I was afraid of people judging me because I was so fat. Due to my anxieties, I withdrew from others and that made me lonely. This started my depression. That was what I meant.

I also don't speak for skinny people or weight lifters. I was talking about myself. I'm not crying, "Woe is me, my fatness caused all of my miseries," but rather, I am reflecting on the onset of my anxieties and depression which I believe correlates with my obesity.

And thanks! I'm excited to start my new journey.

Last edited by jeciao; 01-09-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/199/165

Height: 5'7

Thank you Jeciao for sharing. It's so wonderful when people get the opportunity to share a little bit about themselves and you get a glimpse into who they are. What I love even more is when people let down their guard and open up a little bit about themselves as a person emotionally. SO many times people think wanting to lose weight is solely about wanting to look good. FALSE! So much of us is about regaining confidence in yourself.

I think you're off to a wonderful start. I think setting realistic and attainable goals is the first step. Working out daily will have a phenomenal impact on your body and you will start to notice your energy go up. The sugar thing, I get that. I have a humongous sweet tooth. I'm talking I need chocolate every night or I get grumpy. hahaha Instead of denying myself these delicacies I told myself I would find healthy alternatives and that every now and then, I would indulge in moderation. To be successful you have to create healthy habits, not restrictions. When you start saying you cannot eat this and that you start to feel like you can't enjoy the "finer things" in life. haha That's not the case. You are reconfiguring your mind to desire healthier options.

You remind me of myself when I started this journey years ago. It's hard, but you can do this. I'm sure of it!
LilMissLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissLi View Post
Thank you Jeciao for sharing. It's so wonderful when people get the opportunity to share a little bit about themselves and you get a glimpse into who they are. What I love even more is when people let down their guard and open up a little bit about themselves as a person emotionally. SO many times people think wanting to lose weight is solely about wanting to look good. FALSE! So much of us is about regaining confidence in yourself.

I think you're off to a wonderful start. I think setting realistic and attainable goals is the first step. Working out daily will have a phenomenal impact on your body and you will start to notice your energy go up. The sugar thing, I get that. I have a humongous sweet tooth. I'm talking I need chocolate every night or I get grumpy. hahaha Instead of denying myself these delicacies I told myself I would find healthy alternatives and that every now and then, I would indulge in moderation. To be successful you have to create healthy habits, not restrictions. When you start saying you cannot eat this and that you start to feel like you can't enjoy the "finer things" in life. haha That's not the case. You are reconfiguring your mind to desire healthier options.

You remind me of myself when I started this journey years ago. It's hard, but you can do this. I'm sure of it!
Wow, thank you so much! That was very uplifting! Now I'm very encouraged to start this journey again!