Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #1  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Default January PreD/Diabetes Support & Chat

Welcome to 2015 and to the PreDiabetes and Diabetes Support and Chat thread. Let's continue supporting one another!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #2  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Good morning ladies and Happy New Year! It's so clique to say this on the first day of the year but it is time for change!! Oh my goodness, I weighed and took measurements this morning (I do that every year on New Year's Day) and wow, I can't believe how much of my hard work has been undone. I am now down to a net loss for the year of 20 lbs (had been 35 lbs at my lowest weight earlier this summer) and even my measurements have increased significantly just since I last took them two months ago! I have the whole "wheat belly" going on again - all puffed out through the middle, looking pregnant. So, yeah, got to do it. I want to share this post from Gourmet Girl Cooks that really spoke to me, in the 3rd paragraph - maybe it will resonate with some of you too. http://www.gourmetgirlcooks.com/2014...-low-carb.html

I sent Mark and Olivia out for breakfast this morning and I am having a laid back morning with a cup of coffee and leftover spaghetti squash casserole. I am still going through cookbooks, almost done though. Mark is going to be gone next week for work so it's actually a good time for me to work on me and not have to worry about cooking to please him so I will take advantage of that.

I made Olivia go to bed at her usual time last night (she doesn't know about staying up late anyway) so she would not be cranky today. She woke around midnight anyway, lol! Fortunately, after that she stayed asleep til morning so I got more sleep than I usually do.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Shannon, I think having a week without having to cook for Mark will help you to get back in the groove, and make it easier for you after he returns. DH wants to go out for breakfast this morning, but I do so much damage when I do that. I love eggs, and I can fix them at home without any carbs with it, but it's impossible to find a carb free breakfast item in our town. One place used to have some items, but they took them off the menu. Of course, I could order a full meal and only eat the items I want, or ask them to hold the carb items, but I feel cheated when I do that because I still get charged for those items. So he is sitting here fuming because I won't go out for breakfast. Poor baby.

We didn't stay up for midnight. I went in to bed around 9 to watch TV. Naturally, I fell asleep. DH came in around 11, so he did not stay up for the New Year either. I think we figured it would come if we stayed up or not. At our age, we are just happy to be here for a new year. LOL

I too am not happy that I gained back 20 lbs after my low of 181. I think that low was a result of surgery, not hard work on my part. I can't imagine giving up. I just wish I would find the proper mindset. What I've been doing the past year isn't working.

Good luck to all in 2015!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

We took our daughter to see the most recent Night At the Museum movie (sigh, Robin Williams, so sad), which was great as "family friendly" movies go. We went to one of those places where they serve food as well. All of their salads either had piles of croutons, candied cranberries, or candied nuts - all three are hard to pick out in the dark. I ordered grilled fish tacos, with the plan of eating them with a fork and leaving the flour tortilla. No such luck, I couldn't get someone to bring me a fork? So weird. So I did my best to tear off the excess tortilla, but then there was some kind of (not mentioned on the menu) sweet sauce or chutney. UGGGGGGGHHHHH. The theater was full and they had one waiter and three food runners for all of us so I guess it was kind of overwhelming for the staff. Anyway, I did my best. It's frustrating when you try so hard to be careful and it just won't work out. At least the movie was fun!

Wannabe, I love brunch but we have a lot of places that do omelets. The problem is ignoring the biscuits!

Shannon, thanks for that link!

Ok, today is my first big day of...no Diet Coke. I'm drinking this one can I had left in the fridge, I will let myself have it outside of the house sometimes (you can not trust tea around here, you will get sweet tea every time) but no more buying it at home!

Off to have NY lunch with the family. I guess I'll go heavy on the cabbage and light on the black eyed peas.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #6  

Second half, I don't know if I'm going to be able to give up my Diet Coke. I was out of it, but DH had one in the car, so I drank half of it today. I buy the 12 oz bottles. I will not order it in a restaurant because they fill the glass with so much ice and with what they charge, I could buy an 8 pack. I only order water in restaurants.

I hate when I go somewhere and there is nothing to order that is low carb. The choices at that movie sound terrible!

I think black-eyed peas are healthy, depending on how they're prepared. I love cooked cabbage and eat it a couple times a week.

Lettinhgslenderin, I finished my other library books and can now start reading Diabetes Miracle tomorrow.

One thing I like about where I live, we are in a residential neighborhood, but we are only 5 miles from the PA Turnpike Interchange, so we have everything close by. Lots of restaurants, every fast food joint known to man, supermarkets, Target, Kohls, Walmart, lots of little strip malls with small businesses. They all want the business from people coming off the turnpike. It's very convenient.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-01-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/194.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi everybody I'm not really too new to 3fc, but I am back to taking my diabetes more seriously (after a recent reminder on Christmas). I'd like to start participating in this thread if that is okay. Great to meet you all.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #8  

Welcome Madison! We are happy to see you here. The more people we have here the more ideas and opinions we get, and the better for all of us.

Tell us more about yourself....including your diabetes diagnosis and treatment so far. You can jump into what others are discussing, or you can just post what you want to discuss. Some of us, including myself, get very wordy, LOL. We all have our own interesting story.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #9  

Hi, Madison! I'm also pretty new to this area! Nice to have you!

Wannabe, this is my first morning without Diet Coke. I normally drink two when i wake up I'm so glad I got a Keurig for Christmas and my favorite coffee finally makes K cups. I miss the bubbles. I also like LaCroix mineral water but I'm out! Poor planning! Still, I think as long as I have the caffeine to get me over the hump, I might make it. My husband and daughter have both suggested maybe "cold turkey" isn't the way to go - poor things, they have been through this with me before. Guess I get a little cranky

I can't believe Christmas break is almost over with all the various illnesses, holiday stuff, and extra kids, it went by too fast. Two weeks always sounds like a HUUUUUUGE break, and it just blows by.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #10  

My weight is back to my ticker weight as of this morning. I was up 5 lbs over the holidays which took me back into the 200s. I was not a happy camper, but was happy to see the drop this morning. It was probably temporary holiday bloat, from eating foods I don't usually have around, such as the ham, with all the sodium. My blood sugar is better since I got my meds straightened out, and I'm hoping for an improvement in my blood pressure, too.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

Carol Sue, how cool that you are reading it. I am going to re-read it this weekend.
ut
My weight jumped three pounds since yesterday, hope it is just a blip and not a trend. I'm not going to update my ticker, but went from 204 to 207 overnight. Yeah, yeah, I know don't weigh daily, but I always have and always will.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #12  

I always weigh daily, otherwise it's too easy for me to "drift" and not think about it, however I don't get too excited over those three pound "mystery" drops or rises. I have a really great program that let me track my weight with a graph. It shows your daily weights, but also your overall trending average and can even project forward to show you how you'll do if you continue on your current trend...so even if you're up and down from day to day, you can still see your overall downward trend. I don't, that just helped me balance my need to weigh every day and keep myself in line against my tendency to freak out if I was up half a pound...or three.

I haven't really looked at the overall sight in forever, so I just realized they have a mobile site. Who knew! Anyway, if anyone is interested it's www.weightcommander.com the site is now free. I think I paid for the program once upon a long time ago. It doesn't look like they have the feature to project your overall trend going forward, but you can see your progress so far.

Last edited by TheSecondHalf; 01-02-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #13  

This morning I received an email with some interesting info regarding how low carb fights belly fat, but I can't post it because it is actually an advertisement from Jorge Cruse for his new book The 100, and also a nutritional shake he is selling. I am not into shakes, but I might look into the book and see if it's available through the library. I don't want to spend any more money on books, but will read them if I get them free. He talks about how people who count calories are spinning their wheels, using the example of eating 1400 calories consisting of Snickers bars vs eating 1400 calories of grilled salmon and steamed broccoli. In some of his other books he recommended some weird foods that I would never buy or eat, but I think his theories are good.

Lettingslenderin
, I do not agree with those who say "don't weigh every day." I say, do what works for you. It doesn't matter whether you weigh every day, or once a week, you are going to gain what you are going to gain, and you are going to lose what you are going to lose. Getting on the scale or not doesn't change that. The only thing it does, is cause psychological issues for anyone who does not understand fluctions that occur for everyone. If you don't get upset over it, it's OK in my opinion. One thing we always say on this thread is "one size does not fit all." Everyone is different, and needs to do what works for them.

I got on the scale mid-holiday because I could feel that my weight was up and I knew that finding out exactly how much damage I had done would work in my favor. It would give me incentive to get back on plan and get it back off. Since it came off so quickly, I know it was water weight from the types of foods I had been eating and not fat.

You are getting very close to onederland! That should give you incentive!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #14  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Happy New Year everyone!

The last two days were not so great for me. I ate badly (no binges though) just alot of food that was high calories/carbs My husband works alot and I can do perfect the days he works but when he is off I seem to let it screw up my plans. I have to learn to change that.

This morning though I am back on plan. I even took my morning walk even though it is all snowy out. Very proud of myself for just doing it even though I didn't want to.

TheSecondHalf Goodluck giving up coke. I swear when I first quit I had withdrawls. but you can do it!

Hello Madison Welcome

lettingslenderin I weigh in everyday just to keep it in my mind and also so I don't forget to do it ever lol. But I only count my weight every sunday. I was down to 215 at the beginning of the week and now back up to 217 this morning. Hopefully it is mostly the sodium i ate and today and tomorrow I will get it back down before Sunday.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #15  

Moonkissed, you are also knocking on the door to Onederland!

I also have trouble with carbs because my DH eats lots and lots of carbs! He has never had a weight problem and can't understand my aversion toward carbs. I also post on a LowCarb Forum and this week one of the girls posted that once your spouse/partner gets used to you avoiding the carby foods he will realize that you are serious about this and how much better it makes you feel. This made me understand that by giving in and eating carbs when I eat with him, I am giving him the message that I am not really serious about this.

Shannon, who also posts here has mentioned that she runs into the same problem since sometimes her DH works out of town for a while but doesn't always care for the healthier meals she cooks when he's home. We all have to start becoming firmer in our dedication to this WOE. We have the right to choose what we will and will not eat!
Closed Thread