Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #1  
No pain, no gain :-)

S/C/G: 125/110/105

Height: 4 11

Default "Are you on a diet?"

I hate when people ask me this question.

No, I am not overweight. I am 4 foot 11 and 110 lbs. I've lost weight before at a much higher weight and usually am successful at not gaining too much back, as long as I keep myself in check. I initially was only looking to lose about 10 lbs and I just have 5 more to go (5 lbs on me is a HUGE difference in how I feel).

I feel like whenever there is an eating activity, people look at me like I'm crazy cause I am watching what I eat. I always feel that because I am not overweight, I always have to make an excuse to why I feel like I need to lose 5-10 lbs. No, I don't NEED to lose any weight, but its worth it to me and I feel much better when I do.

Its very frustrating, because people will roll their eyes, or tell me I look fine, or that they "lose 5 lbs just by going to the bathroom". For me it will take time and dedication, and I'm thinking I might get into fitness competitions at some point so I'm just really aware of everything I put into my body.

Ugh....why can't people just back off?
CuteNess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

I'm at the tail end of my diet, also - only about ten more pounds to lose. One guy at work occasionally walks around with his extra fruit at lunchtime and offers us some. Since I'm on a strict, set calorie amount for the day, I don't take any. He looks at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain to him "no thanks" because I'm cutting back. Yeah, it's a drag. But at this point they can think whatever they want. I'm seeing gains and virtually no one else there. Just the opposite, in fact. In my computer field, everyone sits around all day for eight hours and pack on the pounds (like my coworker who's gained 40 pounds since summer, he said).
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

It is less about you than them.

Often, around a thin person, people are feeling self-conscious about their own choices and they are trying to laugh off their feelings by making jokes and saying things they actually think are kind of like compliments to you -- because they believe that someone like you has no idea about struggles with weight and so you won't be sensitive. People are generally just wrapped up in themselves and social events centered around eating bring out SO MANY people's insecurities (which is sad, right?).

Sorry it makes you crazy. Just know everyone else is standing there in their own version of crazy, too.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 12-17-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I suspect that many people are uncomfortable when they see someone else doing what they have not been able to do themselves. As an answer to the question, I'd suggest a simple "no." Keep 'em guessing!

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

This is why, when I turn down food, I simply say "no thank you" rather than saying that I'm on a diet, or I'm watching what I eat, etc. That seems to give them the go ahead to try to coax you to eat it. My friend tells people she's allergic. LOL
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

For me it was pretty obvious that I was on a diet. They guessed after about 80lbs.

The thing that makes me laugh now, however, is people try to trick me. They offer me foods they think I should not eat and even second portions. I scoff the lot up. Much to their surprise.

Weight training helps me do that. As does my rule that I eat what I want when I am socializing but control it when I eat alone (which is 99% of the time for me).

It's priceless watching their faces. If they offer me stuff I eat on my diet anyway (like fish) then they are in for a real treat. I'll clear entire platters of that stuff.

I am normally left with a "How do you do that?" type of comment. I just smile

Last edited by IanG; 12-17-2014 at 11:04 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
As does my rule that I eat what I want when I am socializing but control it when I eat alone.

I am normally left with a "How do you do that?" type of comment. I just smile
Similar experience here. I tend to loosen the reins a lot when socializing and sometimes pile my plate a mile high. I get comments like "you must have an amazing metabolism." I just shrug.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

I don't tell others I'm dieting outside of immediate family.

When being offered food, I either respond that I had a really big lunch or I'm saving up for a real big meal later today.
hiddenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #9  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

My boss asked me this once at a morning event where I did not eat any of the breakfast foods they were offering. The thing is, she knows I'm losing weight (she's pointed it out before), but why the need to discuss? She and another coworker are on Weight Watchers and LOVE talking about it ALL THE TIME, but if I wanted to discuss, I would have brought it up myself.

How the heck was I even supposed to respond to that? I avoid the topic as much as possible, but sometimes people put us in a bad spot. In most cases, I lie
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

We have a lot of food that gets offered around my office, but if it's not the plan that I've written down and packed, it's not getting eaten.

About 10 minutes ago, my coworker told me there are a few platters of foods that are open to our office suite. I always just say, "ok, thank you!" and keep smiling. It's not a requirement to eat it, and the decision doesn't need to be shared with anyone.

I can say that about 6-7 years ago we would often have "working lunches" which felt slightly uncomfortable for me when I would bring in my food instead of the ordered in pizza/fast food/Chinese, but there really only were a few people over the years that ever commented.

Just keep making your decisions - no need to explain anything to anyone. A simple, "no, thank you" works like a charm!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #11  
Trying to be in the 160s

Quote:
About 10 minutes ago, my coworker told me there are a few platters of foods that are open to our office suite.
I love these. When no-one is looking I pack up the healthy stuff, take it home and freeze it.

I have got like 2lbs of olives sitting in my fridge right now from work leftovers. And about 3lbs of tuna.

Last edited by IanG; 12-17-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #12  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

^ Aw man, we never get olives! Or tuna! We did get a HUGE platter of fruit today. Thank goodness, someone finally got the memo that we don't need more chocolate!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #13  
Trying to be in the 160s

Fruit is a tricky one but I raid the berries. They end up in my oatmeal for breakfast. And if there are bananas, well that's a no-brainer.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

there are times i wish i mention that i am on the tapeworm WOL.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #15  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
^ Aw man, we never get olives! Or tuna! We did get a HUGE platter of fruit today. Thank goodness, someone finally got the memo that we don't need more chocolate!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote