Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Default Don't let me weigh myself, kay?

I'm obsessed with the scale. Obsessed with it. And I've found it to be triggering for BED that has reared it's ugly head again.

So I made a promise I wasn't going to weigh myself more than once week. And I did that. I weighed myself last Monday morning and I weighed myself again this past Sunday and was down 3.6lbs (after stopping birth control). Awesome.

But now I feel good. The scale was a good experience. I want to weigh myself again and see how much weight I've lost in two days...

So nobody let me weigh myself until next Sunday at the earliest, okay? Okay deal.

Anyone else struggling with scale addiction?
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/146/132

Height: 5'7"

You can do it!! You must not weigh yourself!!
When I had a scale at home I was on it every morning AND evening. It put me in a bad mood so many times. I don't own a scale anymore and I don't want one. I weigh myself only when I'm visiting my parents.
mtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Is there anyone you live with that could maybe put the scale away until your weigh ins? I think a lot of people struggle with wanting to weigh too often, and it can get bad when that weigh-in starts determining your mood. Here's a blog post another member on this forum (SoMuchFattitude) wrote. Definitely worth a read!

http://somuchfattitude.com/2014/07/1...-control-back/
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #4  

I don't, unfortunately. My roommate and I work different hours, so even if I gave it to her I'd definitely go rummaging through her room until I found it and could weigh myself. It's kind of like food restriction - knowing I can't have it makes me want to seize the opportunity to use it when I can.

I'm doing pretty good keeping it out of sight and out of mind, but sometimes the urge just strikes, you know?

mtea - I used to not have a scale at home and only weigh in on the digital scale at the gym (which I would do after every workout) or when I Visited my parents. But now I go several months without going back home and my gym doesn't have a digital scale, so I caved and bought one. If you can avoid buying one, avoid it! I do think the scale is one of few acute measures of weight change (I was still in the same size pants until I gained back about 20lbs, for one thing), but it's so unhealthy mentally to go on it daily. Or twice a day...or 5x a day...

Last edited by gymrat05; 11-18-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW242/CW207/GW150

Height: 5'3

i have scale addiction too I think mine has to do with I don't see a lot of change in my body although I am coming up on 40lbs loss and I want to see atleast a change in my number :/
tinamariefitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #6  

40lbs down is amazing. Congratulations!

I totally get that. When I "weigh in" and don't see a loss I get discouraged. So I weigh in again later that day. And again and again. Like the number will magically change in a few hours because I just can't believe that's what it is.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #7  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

I am doing "No Weigh November" and it's driving me bonkers but it's really given me some perspective. Now the idea of weighing once a week seems like a godsend. I don't get to weigh in again until Thursday next week. Not even the end of November, I know, and I started the challenge late.

So yeah, I understand scale addiction.

But I realized I was letting the scaled decide whether I would be happy or sad that day and I was weighing every single day, giving myself no breaks to find any relief. Every morning was a number, literally. I would weigh in and, if it was good, I'd delight in remembering the number. If it was bad I'd feel my stomach sink whenever I thought of it. It affected my food choices, my clothing choices, my happiness...not good.

So I currently have no idea what I weigh and haven't for about two weeks now. It's weird, it's strange, it's uncomfortable and it's just what I needed.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #8  

That's how I felt when I did the Whole30 last summer (no weighing in for 30 days!). In some ways it was stressful and in other ways it was liberating. I think if I can stick to once a week that'd be healthy and manageable.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #9  
Counting bites!

S/C/G: 282/255/130

Height: 5'5"

It's been 2 days...you better not be weighing yourself!
izzyboomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #10  

Gaaaah. My official weigh in was tomorrow morning and I caved and weighed in today and I was up 1lb. Serves me right. I made it 6 days and then I caved. So silly. I just felt like it was gonna be good...

So the lesson is, never go by a feeling.

Last edited by gymrat05; 11-22-2014 at 10:28 AM.