Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/168.8

Height: 5ft 2in

Default Tofu issues

Has anyone any ideas how to make tofu taste better? I've used it in stir-frys and it's just so bland and tasteless. I've tried smoked tofu which is lovely but very expensive. Any tips on marinades or flavoring that will help?
aryastark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you tried looking up recipes? Baked tofu is truly delicious and with stir fries, I usually dry fry tofu with a little water, soy sauce and oil.

Here are some blogs with tofu recipes:
http://www.theppk.com/tag/tofu/
http://vegangela.com/tag/tofu/
http://ohsheglows.com/categories/rec...ees/main-tofu/
http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/veget...fu-recipes.php
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/158/137

Height: 5'5

This tofu curry is divine:

Goan tofu curry on veganvillage[dot]co[dot]uk

The main thing to remember with tofu is that it's a raw ingredient (like flour) and so it's tasteless on its own. It needs to be drained and pressed (ideally for a few hours, but 20 minutes could do) and then left to marinade in a sauce.

Tofu is really malleable and absorbs flavour really well, but on its own it would be pretty lame!
Kitkat1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #4  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

I love tofu! I can eat tofu every day. Tofu tends to be bland and takes on the flavor it is cooked with. If you find you don't like regular tofu, I would suggest you try some five-spice hard pressed tofu. They are great for stir fry’s and very flavorful. You can find them in most asian grocery stores.

Last edited by Miaka; 08-13-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #5  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Make sure to expel liquid from the tofu before marinading it (I use tamari or teriyaki sauce) -- I stick it between clean kitchen towels and chopping boards, then weight it down and leave it for at least a half hour before I want to start marinading it. I'm often annoyed by the extra planning it takes, but you really do get a great flavor boost for your trouble.

Tempeh is also great to play around with! I'm trying to downshift my tofu intake and up the tempeh right now, since the health concerns associated with soy intake aren't as much of an issue for fermented soy. That does OK with marinades too.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #6  

Freezing tofu before cooking gives you a chewier texture, removes moisture and allows it to absorb flavors more readily. It actually has more of a honeycomb look to it after freezing. Google freezing tofu for the various methods.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #7  

Whole Foods has an awesome recipe for Mock Chicken Tikka Masala. If you freeze tofu for at least 72 hours, It will have the same consistency as chicken. It should be drained first-hand
SaladChomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #8  

Thank you so much for those ideas. I hadn't been getting rid of the excess liquid which is probably part of the problem and I never knew it could be frozen so I'll be doing that in future for sure. I tend to use my local store too much so it just stocks generic tofu, a trip to an asian food market is in order, thanks again guys
Old 08-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Really marinating or at least using some flavoring is key.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #10  

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help, I'm working my way through the suggestions and have found a new appreciation for tofu. Thank you!!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I wanted to add they have tofu presses that include a marinator as part of it. We got one on Amazon. That way we drain it of water while letting it soak in the sauce we want it to taste like.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote