Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default Off-topic girlie question

...but men are also welcome to answer.

How much would you be willing to pay for a "statement" coat that you have absolutely no need for, but that sings to you?

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I don't know the answer, probably alot would depend on how much disposable income I had at the time and what other goodies I had my eye on, but I'm now dying to know what this coat looks like!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Oooooh, I love coats and I'm always buying them, but live in Texas so hardly get to wear them. Lol. Is it trendy? I wouldn't pay a ton of money for something that will be out of style next year. But, if the coat is classic and you can wear it for years to come, then go ahead and spend some money on it. Pictures? You know you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't get it ;-)
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
I don't know the answer, probably alot would depend on how much disposable income I had at the time and what other goodies I had my eye on, but I'm now dying to know what this coat looks like!
I can't find any pics of this particular coat online. It's by a New York designer called An Ren. http://www.boutiqued.com/an_ren

It's not a classic (I'm not a big fan of classics), but it's not tied to a particular fashion trend so I don't expect it would go out of style. Definitely a statement piece.

So will anyone give me their dollar figure??

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 10-26-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

So I looked up the coats to try to get a price and found a site that listed some prices and honestly, I don't think they are that much for a coat. It does depend on your disposable income though. I say if you'd enjoy it, go for it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Start:245 Current:160

Height: 5'5.5

$300, but it would have to be singing a lot. That's not normal for me and I don't spend a ton of money on clothes at all. I think it's okay to have a few favorite high dollar item things that make you feel good.
Olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I'll bite! If, for instance, I lost all the weight I need to loose, got in shape and felt fabulous about myself, I would probably spend $500. This would have to be of a fantastic fabric - cashmere, lambswool or leather or real Harris tweed imported from Scotland - something really luxe. Nothing machine washable/no iron. LOL. Mine would be a classic style because that is what I like, although years ago I bought a red [my favorite color] corduroy, fitted coat that would probably have been considered trendy. I loved it and wore it for years.

I have been hankering for a navy blue pea coat/car coat type thing. I think they are about $300 at places like llbean.

It always seems to me that such expensive,classic, beautiful things are always made for tall women. So, Freelance, you are lucky you won't have to deal with that issue.

I like the plaid jacket in the third of the sequence of pictures on their website. I see my budget for a dream coat falls within their price range.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #8  

Thanks for your answers, girls. The coat I'm coveting costs $310, or $350 with tax. I do have the disposable income, but I haven't spent this kind of money on clothes in a long time. (Ironically enough, when I was in my 20s and earning a quarter of my current income, I spent more on clothing than I do now.)

I was thinking of asking my husband, two kids and stepson to buy me the coat as a combined Christmas/birthday present from all of them. That's how uneasy I feel about the prospect of buying it myself.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 10-26-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I think you should get it for yourself, that seems a very reasonable price for something that "sings to you", that is a serious statement! I can't even point to anything in my closet at the moment that qualifies in that category!

Get it for yourself, you're worth it, and as you said, it will last!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

$500
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #11  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

I guess I'm cheap-ish. LOL The most I'd probably spend is $150-$180, but I try to wait until they're on sale. There actually is a coat I've been dying for but because I haven't lost the necessary weight yet I'm putting it off. LOL
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd totally do it. Really I don't spend a lot on other items but coats I am a little more willing as they last longer.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #13  

i'd do it, if you have the disposable income for it, you only live once!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #14  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I'm not a coat person (fortunate since I no longer live in a place I'll ever need one) and I never did more than a basic black or oxblood plain wool in coats so I probably wouldn't spend more than $150-200 on a coat. But let's say it was something I'm into like a daytime dress or statement blazer, I'd do up to much more than $500- I'm ashamed to put an exact number.

I love a bargain and a great sale myself (and to me a bargain is maybe under $30, not those 75%-off-but-still-300-dollars-deals) and mostly populate my wardrobe with those sorts of things. But there's nothing nicer than mixing a bargain outfit with a statement piece that makes an otherwise run of the mill outfit special. I don't think if you can afford it $350 on a coat is too much. If you're in Toronto, you'll probably get your money's worth out of it in one winter even. If you work hard, I think you should be allowed to get yourself a coat you like. It's not like it's an everyday thing.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 10-27-2014 at 06:23 AM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Thanks for your answers, girls. The coat I'm coveting costs $310, or $350 with tax. I do have the disposable income, but I haven't spent this kind of money on clothes in a long time. (Ironically enough, when I was in my 20s and earning a quarter of my current income, I spent more on clothing than I do now.)

I was thinking of asking my husband, two kids and stepson to buy me the coat as a combined Christmas/birthday present from all of them. That's how uneasy I feel about the prospect of buying it myself.

F.
That's an interesting dilemma and it raises some questions. You have the money to spend, but don't feel comfortable. Instead you'd rather involve 4 other people to buy it for you. Is it more meaningful if it comes as a gift? What makes you so uncomfortable about buying it for yourself? Do you feel you are deserving of this coat?

If I had the disposable income I would do it. I would probably put some arbitrary rule on myself though like I wouldn't allow myself to buy anything else until Thanksgiving or something like that. But that's only based on my current financial situation which right now is not bad but is a bit tight.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote