South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #1  

Default New to South Beach

Hello Everyone, I am brand new to the South Beach diet and I am so glad I found these boards. I remember checking out these boards when I was doing Weight Watchers, which I have been doing for a while, but cheating while doing it, now I am just giving up on it and going to try SB. I did Atkins a couple of years ago and had great success with it, 20 pounds loss and kept it off, but I rolled right into WW, another 20 down, but now I am up another 20, so I really need to do something.

I bought the book last night and it is a great read, couldn't put it down. I was going to hit the grocery store tonight and maybe start tomorrow. Any tips for me? I expect some problems from my husband, he is not into any type of limiting my carbs, but I can work around him.

This board looks like a great source of inspiration! Hope to be chatting/posting with you all real soon!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:59 AM   #2  

Default hello

Welcome Sumsitup!
This is a great place to be & get support & some chuckles, too!
When you go shopping, get all the food you will need, so you will not be tempted to stray...I find that if I don't have the foods I need & I get hungry..it's very difficult!
Here's what got me thru the 1st 2 weeks & kept me happy
SF popscicles, SF fudgsicles & SF jello!
And that Laughing cow lite cheese on celery is very good with a glass of V-8!
Good luck & welcome!
January
Old 01-29-2004, 10:01 AM   #3  

Thanks, I am glad you mentioned v-8, I was hoping I could drink those. They are a great little filler for me.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #4  
Imagine...

Hi Sumsitup remember to drink lots of water....And those string cheese sticks help to hlod you over.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:16 AM   #5  

My tip is to pick a bad carb that you hate and your husband loves and get lots in so he does not whine so much. I hate donuts so I bought a big bag of them for everyone else, and just kept buying. They did not notice I had thrown away all the pasta, rice, bread and rice pudding in the house.....!!
Old 01-29-2004, 10:17 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovey
My tip is to pick a bad carb that you hate and your husband loves and get lots in so he does not whine so much. I hate donuts so I bought a big bag of them for everyone else, and just kept buying. They did not notice I had thrown away all the pasta, rice, bread and rice pudding in the house.....!!

Well, they noticed eventually, but I was through the cravey bit by then so it has been ok.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #7  

clovey, that is a good one! i will try to fool them (husband and kids).
Old 01-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi Sumsitup and welcoem to the Beach. You will love it here.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 AM   #9  

Welcome, Welcome! This is the best place to be for the friendliest and greatest support team around! Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I have in the last two weeks!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, lordy, Clovey, I just about choked on my toast (white bread) while reading your post.
Welcome, Simsitup! These girls are a wonderfully supportive bunch.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone, i am pretty excited. a little nervous as well. i am just going to try to plan for one week of eating at a time, i think i might get the feeling of being a little over my head if i try to do anymore. i was looking at the sample menus in the back of the book and trying to come up with something that works for me.

Question: I didn't see onions on the list of approved foods??? Are they okay to eat?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:08 PM   #12  

Welcome Sumsitup! Did i get that name right? is there a story/joke there?? I can be slow. But why am I asking, there is no story to MY name except it was suggested by the ebay signup page when I went to bid on my precious Elvis toilet seat cover. And then I just kept using it.

oooo, enough babble. I have a tendancy to run on and on. I think it is a study avoidance tactic

ANYWAY- welcome to the Beach. I've only been here a short while, but I don't think you'll find a nicer henhouse. I tried WW ages ago, and thought about trying it again. But I get all obsessed with budgeting and planning my food for the day. I tried the Zone, too, but still to obsessive, same with Perricone. SBD is SOOO not like any of those.

To echo others advice - really stock up the fridge.

And EAT! I think I've mentioned this before, and the more I read here, in the book, and in all those Dr. A's Q&A's, I think this correct- EAT! DON'T be hungry. This isn't WW. I was overly concerned with keeping things "small" I think I made it too hard on myself. After a couple days, I just gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted, I felt much better, even though I don't think I actually ate that much more. You should experiment with that, don't starve.

I don't think that attitude has stalled my loss, I haven't lost a TON of weight, but in my situation, I think 8 lbs in 2 weeks is just fine. And the fact that I'm LEARNING things that will lead to longterm healthy eating is more valuable to me than quick weight loss brought on by over-deprivation and mindless adherance to any diet.

Watch for the headaches, but someone suggested broth for that. I like the sound of that.

Hot tea has been a lifesaver for me- both for its soothing and sweet qualities. Stock up on a few of those, too. My suggestion- get a couple of different flavors/styles, then make pots of tea mixing them up. I don't even add sweetner, since mint and ginger teas (my faves) have a natural sweetness. And I've got some of Jennifer favorite Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Red Vanilla on order! She RAVES about it!!!

Ok, see what I mean? I've written so much no one will read all this rambling.

Clovey- if you read this far, you cracked me up with those doughnuts! I think I'm past my cravey stage now too? My roommate downed oreos topped with whipped cream the other night- I was thoroughly disgusted.

Oh, and we must discuss this psychology/law thing. Loved your comments yesterday.

I HAVE to go study now. Hmmm, except what is happening over in chat?
Old 01-29-2004, 02:58 PM   #13  

luckyredlisa

Thanks for the welcome, and yes you got sumsitup right, i did it kind of like "well, that about sums it all up" you know like i finished what i was saying, it is so hard to think of a good screen name!!!!!

i love babbling, i do it quite often myself. that is why i think i will like these boards. i really want to feel like i am a part of them, and i think i will.

i am pretty excited about sb, i just talked to my girlfriend who is coming to visit me this weekend and she said she might try it as well.

i hear what you are saying about measuring, i am pretty hung up on measuring, i weigh things and measure out and i get pretty complusive about the whole thing, this should be like freedom to me, i hope i can adapt.

i just read a thread about headaches, i hope i dont' get them.

i love hot tea, i wonder if i can put cream in it, no dairy for the first two weeks, i guess cream is dairy?

You were not rambling, i love this, i hope you get a chance to read my repy!

Thanks so much! Thanks to everyone!
Old 01-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #14  

Oh, but you CAN have dairy. Go to the FAQ for the updated Phase 1 food list. There's been a ton of discussion about creamers, too, over there. I don't generally do any of that, so I can't tell you off the top of my head. Sorry.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:05 PM   #15  

Hello Sumsitup!! and welcome to this board. I just started this past Sunday and the first couple of days were difficult to adjust to the different foods. I brought my book to the store with me and it took me a couple of hours to find items, read labels, etc., but it was worth having the book with me because I kept flipping from the "Foods to Enjoy" list to the recipes to make sure I had everything I needed. I would like to try the veggie cups but could not find foil cupcake holders.

This group is very inspiring. Everyone is trying to accomplish the same goal and it is great to know that someone is there to help. Good luck and welcome.
Closed Thread