Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Jillegal - hope you don't mind

But your comment on the February points challenge really got my attention and I thought it was kinda hidden in that thread. You wrote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillegal
February's a hard month for me - my exercise of choice is hiking but I'm not hardy enough to go out for long in the cold snowy great white north, plus I'm loving the winter comfort foods. It's a real fight.

I need to be re-motivated because I've become too complacent (you know, that whole "I've lost a lot of weight so I can relax a bit now" attitude. THAT attitude resulted in a 6lb gain over Christmas and probably a couple of pounds since. It's so easy...a pound here, another one there, before you know it you've gained 10, then 20, then you're well on your way to being back at that place you've worked so hard to escape from. CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN! BRING ON THE CHALLENGE!!

P.S. - anyone here been at or near maintenance for a long time (say over a year)? I can't understand how I can stick to something for a year and a half and actually believe I've changed by lifestyle to a point of keeping it for the rest of my life, yet be able to slip back into the old bad habits so easily. I FEEL better when I'm on plan, in fact, I felt great about myself in so many ways for well over a year, but since late December I've seemed to have lost my weight-lose edge. I WANT IT BACK!!
It just really made me realize why it's so impotant that we make changes in our lives that we think that we can keep up with forever and even when we do (like I know you have) we still have to be ever vigilant because it is SO easy to fall back into our old habits.

I haven't ever maintained for 5 minutes, but I have a thought. Have you read Fred Anderson's Chunk to Hunk? He has some absolutely wonderful thoughts on making being fit and healthy a way of life. I highly recommend it.

How are you doing??
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

jillegal... we're all struggling right now. i've been eating my usual small amounts, but instead of small amounts of protein and veggies, it's small amounts of chocolate, cookies,m pretzels., peanuts. have i lost my mind????

check out the maintainers forum.. it's new around here, and the ladies are very very wise. especially meg..
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i've had a crappy JANUARY! so it better be a good february to make up for it.
gonzostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:42 PM   #4  

You are so right. I have NOT been at this for very long, but past history tells me I do great for 3, 4 or 5 weeks and then the 'novelty wears off' (or something) and I start slipping back.

This time I allowed myself to NOT be "the perfect dieter" ... I allow myself to use convenience foods (like bagged salads and frozen veggies) and it hasn't seemed as difficult as it has in the past ... but I still don't trust myself not to start slipping. Does this make any sense?!?!?
Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:55 PM   #5  

I think so many of us can relate to the either being "on" or "off" the program. As well, I think we can relate to the insanity of making choices that just don't make us feel physically well - but doing it anyway. I am a counsellor by day and my area of interest relates to addictions. There is a really good book that was adopted by the American Cancer Society as a proven program to assist those people who are trying to quit smoking. The program was initially adopted for smoking cessation but has been widely used for other addictions - including food. I am not saying that people who have weight problems are addicted. However, there is an emotional component that really can't be denied. The book I am referring to is called "Changing for Good" by James Prochaska. The book is a bit of a hard read at the beginning but as you get into it, it takes you through different stages of change, where you are in the continuum and how to assist yourself in changing for good. There is also a section on relapse (doing so well for a year and a half, then falling off and finding it hard to get back on the program - sounds like relapse) and suggestions of how to help you to get back to doing the good things you do. This author is being quoted and followed by so many groups/societies and agencies. Shape magazine quote Prochaska's work fairly frequently in different articles. I found it quite interesting and you may too. The exercises certainly challenge one to take a look at the whole picture. The beauty of knowing that this is a life long change is knowing that there are slip ups and that doesn't equate with failure but with a greater understanding of oneself and the ability to pull yourself up and get at doing what you need to do for a healthier life. Each slip up is just a further propelling to the achievement of the final goal - we learn from each relapse.

Has anyone else ever looked at Prochaska's work and related it to their plan to lose weight for good?

Jenaya
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:23 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

i know prochaska's work from the scientific side, and i'm glad that he's making it more accessible. is diclemente involved as well???? hmmm. maybe i'd better go do some research!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 08:53 PM   #7  

Yep, Diclemente and another man are involved (sorry book isn't in front of me right now). That is neat that you know the scientific side of this group, what did you thinK? I do think it is pretty incredible for an agency as big as the Cancer Society to give the nod to his work. That speaks volumes to me. No magic bullet just common sense and personal exploration. I think I better get reading and working on it because I am slipping/relapsing or whatever the heck I am doing and not being very focused on my work towards a healthier life. I am sure it doesn't have anything to do with the weather (yesterdays grumble - now it is -47 which made the -30 stuff seem doable. I know, quit complaining. I get to see the four changes of the seasons but I don't much like this one!!). Take care.

Jenaya
297/277/1??

Jenaya
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:03 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

their work was all about the stages of change, from precontemplation through to action. and i learned about it because i worked for the tobacco industry for a long time. it was all about formalizing that idea that you can't make anyone change, they have to do it themselves in their own time.

the ACS and other organizations were trying to figure out how to motivate people to stop smoking.

obviously, there's a whole lot more to this, and i haven't read any of his stuff for several years, but it was very interesting then... and it's still interesting..
Old 01-29-2004, 09:45 AM   #9  
Crazy Canuck

Whew....Sandi, when I read the title of this thread I was a tad nervous

Thanks for your insights folks. I'm definitely heading over to Chapters to peruse the works of these self-help gurus and perhaps use up one of my Chapters gift certificates. The idea that the one particular book was the basis of a smoking cessation plan interests me, since I quit smoking on November 3, 2000. Indeed, nary a cigarette has passed these lips since, save for one on the morning of my daughter's wedding and it was NASTY (the cigarette, not the wedding ) I'd love to incorporate that success of over 3 years into my weight-loss adventure.

I've had a good week so far - lots of exercise and totally on plan - I think if I can make it through the weekend then I may be back on track. I really miss that feeling of being in control and working towards something I really want. I know I've accomplished a lot so far, but I also realize that losing the weight is really just the beginning of the whole journey.

It's funny, when I'm totally on plan I'm in here mouthing off daily, but when I'm slipping up I just read the threads and rarely post - it's as though I don't feel worthy of posting, when in reality that's when I should be posting the most, so I can derive motivation from your feedback
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:27 PM   #10  

Jill has put it into words so much better than I could have, but that's exactly what I've been going through since November. The exercise isn't a problem, but the eating is making me crazy. Some good days, but too many bad days. Thank goodness I have still been exercising, or I know that I'd be over 200 again.

It's frustrating too because, just like Jill talked about, you think you've already overcome these struggles and made the lifetime changes that you need to make, but then old habits rear their ugle heads and you don't understand why you can't regain your focus. I spent almost one entire year with almost no slip ups and did great, so why is it so hard to get my food back on track?

I'm the same way, I post much less often when I'm not doing well. I'm always lurking, but find that I have less to say when I know I'm not doing as well as I should.

Lots of great advice here, and it's just nice to read that others are going through the same things and it's not just me.
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:48 PM   #11  

Hey i found one motivational thing is that i have made my fitday open to the public as a link from my weightloss website and with that i feel like i have to post daily incase someone looks at it. And if i post i am more apt to stay on program.
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:05 PM   #12  

Been thinking about this topic quite a bit....

I am still 30#s from my goal....but have been "maintaining" for nearly 10 months! I haven't really gone back to my old habits, or gained a significant amount of weight....but like Jill, I am frightened at how easily I could go back to my old unhealthy life-style!

What is it that stops us (OK....me!) from getting to my goal?? Why am I so blocked?? I think that in some ways I am frightened of getting to my goal. I tend to keep most people at arms length....My weight is an excuse not to participate in things. My weight has been used as my reason why people might not instantly loooove me (I know - hard to believe not everybody instantly loves me!) Maybe I am afraid of people rejecting me for me, rather than just my appearance??? Just kinda thinking while I type here....

So much of weight loss is a psychological game. I guess that's why you can only lose weight when you are "ready".

Anybody else been giving thought to why they might be "blocked"? Guess it goes back to figuring out why we are overweight to begin with....What is it that I have been feeding with food??

OK....sorry if this post sounds a bit hokey....just typing out some theories and thoughts to try to get them straight.

Thanks for being so open with your recent struggles Jillegal, Mothergoose and Sandi! You have made me think about my own weightloss progress!
looosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:08 PM   #13  

Default Julie's FITDAY food list

Julie, just wanted you to know that I have been inspired by your daily food choices that I've read at FITDAY - so, your plan's working!

By the way, I'm a Rhode Islander who want to relocate to Vermont. When my son graduates from HS (he's a junior now), I'll be able to think about it more definitely. I have relatives in VT and I've vacationed in different parts of the state, and I love it there. The pace of life seems a little more reasonable than here in Providence. Any parts of the state you like especially?
terrific pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #14  

Mary thank you very much! I try to log everyday so that if someone looks they can see what i ate just dont be surprised it sometime you look and see something outragious cause sometimes i go there and enter everything i put in a dish and get the total then divide the stuff to figure out how many calories in one serving LOL , And sometimes if my calories are under 1200 i will have a snack and forget to go log it after just to bring them up.

As for vermont I live not far from montpelier in a town called williamstown and i love it. It really depends on what you want to do. If you like it a little busy rutland and burlinton are better choices but if you are looking for quite and lots of land for cheap up near ST Johnsbury is good. Here i have a little of both at least i have one walmart and 4 grocery stores within 30 minutes travel.
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:27 PM   #15  

Julie, I'm definitely looking for LESS busy. I've lived in Providence for 23 years and I've had it with having neighbors 10 feet away from my house on either side! I went through Montpelier and thought it looked nice. I've been online looking at house prices, and the St. Johnsbury area seemed to have some inexpensive real estate. Anyway, this Vermonter-wanabee will keep you posted - maybe we'll be neighbors someday!
terrific pig is offline   Reply With Quote