Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 07:25 AM   #1  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Default Thursday Chat - January 29, 2004

Good morning to all!

I had the most wonderful thing happen yesterday. One of my coworkers (someone who didn't know I was on a weight-loss plan and doesn't see me every single day), stopped me in the halla and said, "Wow, you've lost weight! You look great!"

Now, this is in contrast to others who have stopped, looked at me kind of quizically and asked, "HAVE you lost weight? You look thinner." I know, I know. There doesn't seem to be that much of a difference, but to me there is! When they're not quite sure, they ask. Maybe it's the clothes, the light, the way you fixed your hair, etc. But when they come right out and tell you they see your weight loss, not ask if there is any, it makes you feel so great!!!

I'd like to say this has been soooooo hard, but I honestly can't. Yup, I still think how great it would be to single-handedly pack away a box of snack mix or a carrot cake, but it pales in comparison to the feeling I get when I step on the scale in the morning. Now, I've been down this road before, but you guys are all making this such a different experience for me. For the first time, I'm looking at this as a WOE rather than a diet. It's not "how long till I get there," but rather "I'm there (on the WOE), now let's work on maintaining it." Maintenance was something I never thought of in any terms but weight. I've got a long way to go, but I'm no longer looking despising the fight.....I'm kind of enjoying the journey.

Thanks to all for making this the time that changed my outlook.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:12 AM   #2  
one step at a time..

sped- wow! that's so great I'm very happy for you It does make a big difference when someone just comes out and says it, and it makes you feel wonderful. Keep up the good work. How much have you lost?

woke up alot earlier than I had to today because when I was going to bed last night it dawned on me I had a quiz in my 8am class, so I figured I'd get up early and study. Then I make my way all the way across campus (clawing my way through the snow ) just to find out the class is cancelled. ugh. could have slept! oh well. another class at 9am. too bad school isn't cancelled all together. ah well. everyone have a wonderful day and keep warm!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:23 AM   #3  
Baby Steps

spedmom---i bet that feeling was SOO great! Congratulations on "being recognised" (I'm waiting for that day!!!)

lixue--sorry to hear you got up earlier than you had to. Don't they have something listed on tv or computer that tells when school/classes are cancelled? If not they should!

My daughter went to school today. So that means it's off to work I go in a short bit. Then for 4 hours I get to whittle away the day trying to figure out what to do (it's sad when you get all your work done too fast. I need to learn how to slow down! lol). We're in the below zero wind chills again. And of course silly me didn't listen ahead of time to the weather so guess who gets to freeze while putting gas in their car! UGH! I forgot that I won't get my regular weigh-in on Saturday. So I'm going to postpone it (not really looking forward to it anyway) til Sunday morning. For some reason I feel "blah" and bloated and tired again. Maybe the little bit of taco seasoning and all that meat (should just have had the meat huh?)? Is it possible that could be why? Guess if I eat it again I'll find out for sure. Or maybe it's the weather and realising SPRING isn't coming!! lol

Hope you all have a great day
Old 01-29-2004, 08:36 AM   #4  

So far it sounds as if this is going to be a challenging day for some of us!

Spedmom: Way to go. That is the best feeling in the world. I have had one person at work come up to me and tell me I looked fantastic. I was beside myself. She knows that I have been trying to lose for some time so it really meant a lot.

And as for your little discussion yesterday about the un-craftly-challenged people Ok, so I am talented. Go ahead and hate me.

lixue: Where do you go to school in NY? One of my neices is at Ithica. She is over in Ireland now for this semester though. That reminds me I have to email her again.

lady_adnerb: Don't worry....spring HAS to come. We just need to hang in there until she does. I for one can't wait to work in my garden again. I didn't do much last year but this year I can tell it is taking a beating from the winter and will need some work come spring.

Well, I hopped on the scale AGAIN this morning and my being better than good this week has certainly made a difference. I haven't cheated ONCE all week. Goes to show that if you do what you are supposed to do this woe will work. Not saying I have never cheated and will never cheat again. I just really want to hit the 150's and plant myself solidly in there and to do that I am going to have to buckle down. Who said that....was that me?

I have been really bored at work the past couple weeks. I have had nothing scheduled for me so I sit here working on old stuff which doesn't require a lot of work. I try to call people back to follow up with them but they are either not there or everything is going fine and they don't need me......I guess that's a good thing. I have a big install coming up next week though and the person I spoke with sounds like she is going to be a pain in my to work with. Oh well, at least I will get the numbers I need.

So off to somewhat work I go. Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by jane8760; 01-29-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:41 AM   #5  
Total Sass Bucket

Sped- Congratulations on the compliment! It always feels good when someone recognizes your achievements. I know how you feel when it comes to this WOE. I don't feel like it's hard and I feel like I CAN and WILL make this a permanent change.... and I'm not saying that I don't get a craving for birthday cake every once in a while... but it's manageable and I wouldn't trade the feeling I have when I step on the scale for anything. I've also found this forum to be really amazing. I keep talking about all of you to my sister, about how you guys are so informed and so supportive. I also tell her how gratifying it is for me to be able to mark off 2lbs on my signature or add to the equator trek miles. It's fabulous.
Oh yeah, goodmorning all!!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Hello ladies,

WTG sped, I love it when someone makes a genuine, nice comment, few and far between sometimes. I have to completely agree with you on the WOE maintenance stuff, I don't grieve for the carbs anymore because honestly the thought of all that stuff isn't nearly as good as I feel every morning, getting dressed and not having to try on everything in my closet to find what I look least fat in. For me it's getting over the instant gratification of it all, and so far so good, it is liberating.

Lixue, ah the good old days when profs think they don't need to tell their students ahead of time, just post a note on the door, that was so infuriating. I commuted an hour to university and to get there and find out they didn't show up UGH! Heck if I could get there chances are good they could too. Tad bitter I know but it happened 30+ times while I was in school and all the students had to cram in all the stuff we missed, not pleasant, and after all we do pay them to be there

Brenda, drive safe and watch out for the nippy cold, my hand froze to the gas pump last week (and I had no mitts of course, lol) It wasn't terrible though considering I am 100% Canadian and have, many times, licked a pole outside during my younger years! It's amazing I have any taste buds left.

So, today is sorta like **** frozen over cold, it's -53C (-64F) here which quite frankly is highly unreasonable, even for Manitoba, our seasonal temp is -13C. It is so cold, water vapour actually freezes inside your lungs when you breath. And of course, nothing closed, schools, work you name it, it's open. Be reasonable people! Froufy hun, can you talk to some of the government ppl for me let them know Tummy is frozen?

God, it's ranting day for me, I should really take a valium and a deep breath (hehe it's almost Friday and I'm going on emergency call for the province then so I always get like this, much apologizes)

BTW my taco salad recipe is in the low carb recipe section, I use taco seasoning that is 2 carbs/package and I use 1/4 of that. Beware Brenda, there are many taco seasoning out there that are 5-6g a pkg so that might have been it.

Lots o'love
Tummy
Old 01-29-2004, 08:51 AM   #7  

Good morning everyone! Spedmom, congratulations! What a great feeling! Good thinking on the maintenance too, I need to think that way. These first few days have been hard not to cheat. But, I'm determined. I'll get there, eventually.
Lixue, sorry you had to get up so early to study, but now you should be prepared when you really do have to take your test.
Lady_adnerb, enjoy your day at work, and I'm glad your daughter is feeling better. I also can't wait for spring. It's just around the corner, right? Last summer was our first year in the house, so I didn't do a whole lot with the flowers around. I spent more time learning what and where everything was. So, this spring there are a few things I want to change. I can't wait to get outside and work in the dirt!!
Jane8760, it's great to know that if I don't cheat I'll see results! I'm not weighing myself until I'm done with induction. So, far I haven't seen many changes but today is only day 4. I'll wait until the end of week two to see how I've done.

Today is a busy one for me. The kiddos are out of school at 11:30 today, so I need to exercise and get all my stuff done before they get home. I was planning to go sledding with them this afternoon, but it is too cold out. The actual temperature right now is -6, but feels like -27 with wind chill. Were supposed to have a high of 3 today!! But, even at 3 degrees with 20-30 mile an hour winds, going outside isn't fun!
WooHoo!!! I can feel the heat wave coming, lol. So, we'll stay inside and maybe play some games or find something crafty to do!

I just wanted to say that last night was my familys usual Wednesday night, we order from the restaurant next door to our house. I wanted some chicken tenders and onion rings, like my son had. Or the fried shrimp dinner that my DH had, or a big steamy bowl of cheesy potato soup that my daughter had, with fresh rolls. mmmmm I instead ordered a chef salad, and it was very good. I'm so proud that I didn't cave in and order something else. It's the little things that count, right?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #8  

Shimma and Tummy girl I missed you, we're posting at the same time again. Shimma I also love these boards. I've only been here a few days, and it is wonderful. I've read and learned so much! You are all so knowledgeable, and very helpful! Love it here!

Tummy girl, I'll stop complaining about the cold now! Wow! I thought it was cold here, no way after reading your temps. Stay warm!! Thanks for the taco salad recipe too! I can't wait to try it!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #9  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

SpedMom......you should be so impressed with yourself!!!....what a great feeling and an accomplishment. That in itself, will keep you cheat free for sometime!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

lady adnerb.......I shouldn't worry too much about the beef fry up, but you may want to buy the reduced sodium version of that taco seasoning. Thats what's probably making you feel the bloated feeling. I often serve that on a salad with some of the fixings....sourcream, spoon of salsa and cheese. mmm, thats my version of a taco salad. I leave the taco shells to the boys or splurge on a latortilla factory wrap with it. hey?...thanks for my dinner plans!!

I'm a starvin' marvin these days aand although the snack bug has hit me, I didn't do to badly these last few days BECAUSE MY CUPBOARDS AND FRIDGE ARE EMPTY!!! kinda hard to snack carbs when you don't have any!!...hehe
Dh left to go out of town 2 days ago and oh...forgot he had my car keys in his pocket!!!....haha, I'm going to get so much mileage out of this one..LOL oh, and did I mention he also HAS TWO SPARE KEYS ON HIS RING IN CASE I MISPLACE MY KEYS?... oh ya....going to milk this one!!
Time for a nice omlette with my one remaining egg left and 3 pc of the last bit of bacon. Maybe a few scraps of lettuce and leftover chicken breast for lunch....well at least I'm cleaning out the fridge!!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:03 AM   #10  
Total Sass Bucket

angel- that's soooo funny! Use it to the best of your advantage!! I'm sitting here thinking of all the things I would do if I were in your situation... hehehe Then again, I have been known to be evil every once in a while...........
Old 01-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Morning Everyone !

Its so nice to read all the good news here, really makes the day ahead brighter.

Have a wonderfully warm OP day everyone.

Hugs, Leenie
Old 01-29-2004, 09:48 AM   #12  
The Princess O' Pets

Good morning ladies!!!

Well I am not even getting near the scale cause I am so about to start TOM and I feel bloated and huge! Even though i have been good on my WOE. I could've eaten a house last night though, but even though i was surveying the fridge alot all I had was another piece of LC quiche and some almonds, and water.....I just kept it right on track! I am so happy cause it could've gone the other way in a heartbeat. Back to training today, yesterday the HBO lady came to do her pitch about why HBO and Cinemax are so great, and she gave us prizes, new mouse pads, pens, hats, Sex In The City DVD's, and a box of tissue with HBO all over it!! (who would've thought of that) Today it is the Showtime people so lets see who is more generous! LOL Then that is who I will sell! LOL Just kidding!

Sped: congrats you skinny minnie!!!

Lix: what a bummer....I hate it when that kinda stuff happenes! Oh well what ya gonna do?

Lady A: stay warm!! Boy those are some bad weather temps!

Jane: I hope you get something more exciting to do at work, i hate just sitting there and counting the clock until its time to go home, its boring and makes the day sooooo much longer!

Shimma: I was checking out your stats, girl you are doing SOOOOO GREAT!! Hope your sis joins us too!!!

Tummy: I am gonna register a comlaint with Jack frost for you tell him "get outta Tummy's area..she is frozen, she can't properly exercise when she is frozen!!" LOL

Nutski: great job stickin to it girl!! That is the only time I hate it is when everyone else is eating good and i feel left out! But chef salad is good!

Angel: that sounds like a typical DH move!! ROFL!!!!!

Have a great LC day ladies!! All the best!!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #13  
The Princess O' Pets

Leenie,
you snuck in on me!! Have a Happy day!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:54 AM   #14  
Head Princess

Hey all - just a quick pop in before racing off to my 7:00 meeting!

I had a near miss last night when one of our neighbors came by with 2 slices of yellow cake w/chocolate frosting for dh and I. I LOVE yellow cake with chocolate frosting and do occasionally get cravings for it. So I'm standing there with these pieces of cake right there in my hands and they're just on paper towels and I'm dying! I was drooling so bad I'm surprised I kept it in my mouth! I walked into the kitchen and took one little sniff of the cake and - blech! Way too sugary! I set them off in a little corner that I knew I wouldn't go near and left them for dh. Still, I kept wanting to go in and have a little taste even though I knew it would be the kiss of death. I ended up going upstairs to my room and reading in bed until dh got home. I told him I didn't care what he did with them as long as they were gone by morning and he didn't do anything crazy like smear them all over his naked body and go running around the house praying to the carb gods.

Anyway, gotta run - more later!
Old 01-29-2004, 10:16 AM   #15  
Movin' and Losin'

I'm just popping in quick as well -- lots of work to do today!

I'm still sticking right on track. Now, that TOM has disappeared, I don't feeling like eating everything in the fridge and the fridge, too. Thank goodness! Not even too many temptations. Last night, after DH got off of work, he wanted to go and grab some supper. I had already eaten, but ran with him to McDonald's. Now, I love McDonald's! I think it is a wonderful, wonderful place. I absolutely love their French fries. They are a fabulous work of art. Anyway, I watched him eat his while I sipped on my coffee and wasn't tempted in the least bit to snitch a fry. Amazing!!! I didn't think I had it in me!

Didn't watch "The Bachelorette" last night, but I did tape it. So, I'll get my glider time in sometime today while catching up on all the drama -- can't wait!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

Take care,
Jina
Closed Thread