Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:24 AM   #1  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Default Why do my fingers look like sausages after I take a walk?

I finally got to ask a trainer this question last night; she said it's high blood pressure. Gah. So I guess that's only more reason to go back to the gym every night.

Someone else here was asking about this awhile back. I can't remember who, but if you're reading this, you might want to get it checked out. I'm already on meds for it.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #2  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

SAPF....how is your blood pressure? Have you had it checked lately? How is your fluid intake? ANd when you worked out....for example, walked, where your hands pumped above your heart? The reason I ask, is sometimes this happenes to me...and I do not have high blood pressure. It could be just poor circulation (yes, sometimes the two do go hand and hand). SOmetimes it is because I am workng out and not moving my arm. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #3  

My fingers do the same thing, and I don't have high blood pressure. I think it has something to do with gravity - your hands are hanging by your sides, and fluid collects. When it happens to me, my fingers even tingle a bit. If I make sure to keep my arms moving when I walk, my fingers don't swell.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:55 PM   #4  

Yes, I think it is edema from your hands being positioned low - my hands do that too. But, glad if it is high blood pressure that it was caught and you are being treated.

Jenaya
Old 01-28-2004, 10:03 PM   #5  

Mine do this too even after my blood pressure was normal and it still does this after a year of walking. If i push the stroller and have my hands up on that it doesnt happen that much.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:20 PM   #6  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

same here. and no high blood pressure
Old 01-28-2004, 10:34 PM   #7  

I don't have high blood pressure and this happens to me some times .... not all the time ... but when happens, it's usually humid.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:44 AM   #8  
beautiful

i thought i posted to this but i guess i didnt. i heard that if you keep your hands at or above waist level then it should help with the swelling. i have never had high blood pressure and when i used to walk around the park here i'd have this problem. i dont think i walked long enough to actually try the above the waist thing though.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Thank you for all your responses; tomorrow night I will hold my Walkman up by my face instead of at hip level as I walk.

Or maybe I will get lucky & no one will be on the recumbent bike & I can do that instead of walking the track for 45 minutes, feeling like a damn hamster.
Closed Thread