Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:59 AM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Changing my life, one month at a time

In the month of January, I gave up sweets. Not for today or for tomorrow, I am just going to be a person who doesn't regularly eat sweets. I even had someone say to me today, do you want one, and they immediately said, oh that's right, you don't eat this stuff. That's how I want to be known. I want people to think, well, Sandi won't have one.

So what's next. I think in the month of February, I am going to set my sights on being a very active person. I will make working out a priority until it becomes a habit. But not JUST that, maybe ab work every day and doing more sports kind of stuff. Just be as active as possible in every way and making it part of the way I live.

How are you going to change your life??
Old 01-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #2  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Sandi...great idea....just think we could all have 12 new healthy habits by this time next year! And it is super wise to do it this way, so all this "change" will not be such a shock to the ol' system. Anyway, like you, I have given up sugar and flour. And, I am totally gonna copy you and work and focus on the getting physical part of this journey. We should have mini contests between ourselves....weekly. Are you into Dr. Phil? Well, he has a fitness challenge called "Booty Camp". Check it out on his website. I am sucha feel, and bought the t-shirt, so now I have no excuse, I belong to the club. I think with all the articles and research that we have read lately on Body Fat, that excercise is a lot more important than I give it credit for...KWIM.

Well, great idea!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #3  

it is definately alot more important, but i can't get into the lovin' it mode. sandi you have the right idea. do it until it becomes second nature. kind of like going to church, for me, don't ask me if i am going, just assume i am. so don't ask me to do something on my days to go to the gym, just assume i am going to the gym.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

You have a very good point. Like when I am following my program hubby won't bug me for bad stuff, he just knows what the answer will be. When I am being wishy washy (which is alot), he'll ask because he knows he might get a yes. I think the more consistent we can be, the more the world around us will conform and will eventually make doing the things we need to do much easier!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

This is a good idea. I think the thing I am going to try to work on is not to buy any snacks that I haven't planned (counted into my alloted calories) for. I seem to have the most trouble with this on my days off work. It is like ~ ok, I made it through those days and I stupidly get some snacks and unwind like that. So, I will start now and this will be my February thing early.

I feel that the consistency thing that Sandi mentioned is real important, and because my whole schedule is not consistent, I am really sturggling. My sleep is all messed up right now (gynecologist says it is because of menopause). Basically, I have just sort of been sleeping whenever I can ~ which has me sleeping some really odd hours and being awake all different times. I am so frustrated by not being able to have things fall into a pattern, so that I can make the changes I need to make to succeed at improving my health. They say ~ "this too shall pass" ~ I hope it passes soon.

Gayle
Old 01-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #6  
You can do it!!!!

Gayle....
I feel your pain about finding a consistent schedule. I was stricken by a screwed up sleeping pattern since I suffer from depression. I am not trying to advocate this diet or that diet....but ever since I started the South Beach diet and gave up sugar and flour, I am amazed at how well it is making me feel and most importantly SLEEP. I am actually tired at night, and when I fall asleep, it is a good deep restful sleep. I really did not expect this!!!!! I am in the process of being tested for a possible metabolic disorder, which recks havoc with my hormones.....so you may want to look into this!!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:39 PM   #7  
missaprylj

Well, January was "exercise Mon-Friday" and, I must say... I've done it! (Yeah, um, that's probably one of the bigger accomplishments in my life.)
So, for Feb. I will continue to do so. And, something new... let me think!

Old 01-28-2004, 10:51 PM   #8  
You can do it!!!!

Way To Go Apryle....you Rock!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #9  

Wow!!! You guys are great.

For me, January was "bring my lunch to work". So far, I've done it all but 2 days. This is a major accomplishment ... I never used to brown-bag it more than once a week. AND ... those two days were a bit complicated ... on day I left my lunch on my front porch

I'm not sure what Feb will be. I DO need to get more active, but my schedule right now is impossible. After being out of work for 7 months, my husband took a job out of state. He's away most week nights and I need to juggle school drop off and pick up and a full time job. If I don't exercise after the kids go to bed, then there's no other time to do it.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:41 AM   #10  
beautiful

january was also my work it month. i've done really well considering i basically quit exercising 7 years ago and haven't done much of anything since. i've done my walking video every day this week at least 3 times a day. i think in february i will totally give up fast food. i've been doing pretty good since joining WW but i still need it every now and then. its also going to be my get my butt in gear and get my stuff ready to go back to school month!!! i'm so excited even though i probably won't be able to go back until fall of 2005.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:32 AM   #11  

Sandi, what a great idea. Making slow, steady changes and taking one step at a time is definetly the way to go. Your determination is wonderful and I fully believe that you are going to succeed. Keep up the good work Sandi, you're doing great!

Beverly
Old 01-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

February will be my @ the gym every day except Sunday cause they're not open Month.

My weight has been hovering & fluctuating around this weight for the last year, and I'm tired of it. I would like to be below 280 on that gym scale by the end of February, below 270 if I can get it.

Consistency is key. I didn't go to the gym last night & am feeling it today.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:09 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

Some of my other thoughts for future months are...

Eat 2 fruits and 2 veggies every day. For those of you who know me (The resident vegtible hater) this is BIG

96 oz of water a day, including weekends (I really come and go with the water)

No fried foods (which will get rid of most fast food, but allow me to keep some)

Journal every day

Do something nice for someone else every day
Old 01-29-2004, 03:32 PM   #14  

Sandi, Just so you know, you already do that last one. Just coming here every day to share your wit, wisdom, encouragement, and humor with all of us is doing something nice for many people every day. You don't just come and post when you're doing good, but you're willing to share with us the hurdles you're trying to overcome as well as your successes. It helps many of us to know that we're not alone and that is a VERY big thing.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:22 AM   #15  
You can do it!!!!

ditto mothergoose!!!!!
Closed Thread