Old 09-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #1  

Default first meeting struggles

I am been looking at OA for sometime. I tried the telephone meetings, and I liked the information and it served as a good way to get to know the program. I never officially "joined". I decided I need the fellowship and support of an in-person meeting.
The OA website listed a meeting for last night. I arrived about 20 minutes early and found the building with a iron gate across the front door and a large padlock. I waited in my car for about 15 minutes and no one arrived, the door remained locked up tight. I left feeling very disheartened. It took a lot of courage to get in my car and go to the meeting, I don't know if I can do it again. Is the OA website not updated regularly? It was shocking to finally be ready to ask for help only to run into a locked door. The symbolism nearly pulled me under. The website lists another meeting at a church on Sunday afternoon. It is a bit of a drive, but I will pray for the strength to give this another chance. I really need this.
Jess7655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #2  
Intuitive Eating & HAES

S/C/G: 290/244/175

Height: 5'4"

Jess, I hope that you've been able to connect with a group since your last experience. That must be discouraging, especially if you're already feeling isolated. (It's probably happened to many of us at one time or another.) There are lots of people searching for community out there. Keep trying, whether its online or in person, OA or some other type of support group. Good luck!
PartTimeHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm so sorry you had that experience. The website is supposed to be updated, but it's all volunteers and people can make mistakes.

There should be a phone number if you click under the view details and I would recommend calling that number to make sure the meeting is still on.

I really encourage you to try. This disease is very much about isolating. It's really all about you and the fact that nobody showed up is not a reflection on anything that you did or didn't do. Things like this just happen. I hope you give it another try. Hugs.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

Oh wow that's a shame! I hope you do give it another try. There are people waiting to welcome you and they would be ortified to know that this happened. Is there a number to call to verify the meeting you are considering? And maybe to follow up with the one that didn't take place? Or any contact for your region?

OA is a wonderful place to seek fellowship and support. Online is an option too, but I found the in person meeting to be really helpful.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #5  

quick follow up: I did go to the sunday afternoon meeting at the church. It took a while to find the right room, but I refused to let another locked door stop me! I found a side door to the church that was open, but couldn't find the right class room. I finally had to call the contact number on the website (great idea, thanks!). I found the right place. There was only one other person so we had an informal talk about the program. She said they stopped putting up signs with directions and meeting room number because attendance was so low. It is a big church with lots of entrances and many meeting rooms. I recommended they put the signs back up!
She was very nice and welcoming. She said they average three people at a meeting. I will most likely attend both the in person meeting and telephone meetings, since the in person group looks to be in danger of folding.
Thanks for your encouragement!
Jess7655 is offline   Reply With Quote