Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #1  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

Default Clothes shopping smaller sizes?

I've lost over 80 pounds and I'm beginning to feel anxious (as in nervous) about shopping for clothes. I've had to buy plus sizes for so long, I don't know how or where to shop for smaller sizes. I know a 16 or 18 doesn't sound like a smaller size but I've worn size 26 and 3X for well over a decade and have been limited to shopping at Lane Bryant, Woman Within, or Catherine's. This growing anxiety is an aspect of losing weight that I did not anticipate.

Clothes are expensive and money is hard to come by, so I don't want to make a lot of mistakes by purchasing the wrong sizes or wrong styles. I know I should be feeling happy about this opportunity to play with the idea of a makeover but I'm stressing instead, clinging to my too-large, baggy clothes, using the excuse that I don't want to waste money. Messed up for what?
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Height: 5'5"

When I was a 16/18 I like Alfred Dunner at Penny's. They have these curdoroy (spelling?) that I just love. They are really winter pants, but I got some black ones on sale like 2 years ago. For like $17, and this year I got some in size 14 in 2 other colors. They have women's or misses, and are elastic bands which I needed because of my large stomach. I actually had read about them on a message board.

They have lots of other styles, too. It is just that the cords made me feel more normal or something. I just love them.

Last edited by buddha belly; 07-27-2014 at 08:13 PM.
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/154

Height: 5'7"

I voiced this same concern to a friend of mine recently and she suggested I check out secondhand stores or places like Goodwill to pick up a few things to get me through while I'm still in the process of losing since buying new stuff would likely result in me paying for even more clothes that didn't fit in the not-so-distant future. You can find some decent things at reasonable prices at these kinds of shops, if you have them available in your area of course.

Just an idea
LesMillsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Congrats to you about this incredible accomplishment! Adjusting to a new body isn't always easy. I went shopping today and it was exciting, but I bought nothing. I've lost and gained weight so many times and I ended up feeling anxious so I walked out empty handed. So, I feel for you!

I agree that second hand stores is a great idea. If you do go to a store, make sure they have a reasonable return policy. I like to buy things with stretch so that I can wear it now or if I lose more weight. I highly recommend buying workout clothes for that reason.

I also love maxi dresses that are loose fitting because as I get smaller, I can use a belt to give me some shape.

I would also recommend you go shopping without the intention to buy. Just try to figure out what works with your shape. If you take that pressure off, you can start to understand your body. Maybe you have a friend you can trust to help you out?

Again, your accomplishments are so impressive. Give yourself some time to adjust and find clothes that will help you feel good without breaking your budget.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Wow what an amazing accomplishment! And I hear you, shopping must be daunting.

I also agree with others to spend some time trying clothes on without buying. Take pictures of yourself in the dressing room and then evaluate them at home.

It helps to take along your most stylish friend/sister/cousin. Someone who has a sense of fit and can encourage you without being pushy.

A more expensive option is to hire a stylist, someone who can take you shopping and show you exactly ehat to look for in terms of shape and fit.

Shape and fit are of upmost importance. Based on what your shape is there are things that flatter and things that don't. I can't do a search now but if you go to the site www.youlookfab.com and do some searches about dressing for your body type she explains a whole lot. Me for example in an hourglass pear shape and I don't fare well in skinny jeans or pencil skirts. I need an A line skirt that ends at the knee to flatter my shape. Helpful hints like that make for great ammo when shopping.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #6  
Because I am.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I have considered going to thrift shops to look for clothing for interim sizes until I get closer to goal but like LuckyMommy said, I start to get anxious. I'll definitely look into the youlookfab website. Maybe I will gain some insight and feel less insecure about the whole process.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/145/160

Height: 5'10

Congrats on the weight loss!!

I understand the money issue with losing the weight and having to buy new clothes. Thrifting at savers is a good option because they sort things by sizes i very rarely buy "new" things but i still put together a nice outfit. I love fashion and the thrift store actually has some really awesome finds!
Calicofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #8  

Just saying, I came across an amazing sale at Macy's when I was passing through. T-shirts for 2.74 each. I bought 6 and got out of there before I found some other remarkable items. I got them a size down so I will hopefully fit them next summer but you can't get that price anywhere
Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #9  
Because I am.

I guess one of my problems is that I don't love shopping. I did learn, just today, about a large thrift store that opened in town. I'll be checking that out soon, when I'm in the mood to try things on. I've still got to do some studying about body types and shapes and which cuts and styles of clothing are the most flattering. I haven't been able to find that there are any stylists for hire in my area.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

I think the trick is to find clothes that accentuate the smallest part of your body. Accentuate your waist and don't be afraid to buy tops that are a little bit more fitted. My personal trick is to have either the bottom fitted (jeans or leggings) and a flowy top or a fitted t-shirt with skirts or wide-leg pants, for example.
It's all about proportions and don't be afraid to try on a bunch of things, even things that you thought you couldn't wear. I still remember the first time I tried skinny jeans on. I thought I would look like a tomato on sticks but now I love them! They're all that I wear.
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/154

Height: 5'7"

I have to agree with the comment of not being afraid to try on things that you think you can't wear. I had a couple friends playing with me like a human Barbie doll one day, bringing me things I'd NEVER pick off the rack myself in sizes I'd NEVER imagine trying because "I just knew" they wouldn't fit. I ended up buying a couple of those "no way they won't fit" items they chose And yep, clearance racks LOL Thrifty sale-savvy friends are a plus!
LesMillsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #12  

Actually I went back and got 7 more last night of those 2.74 t-shirts, and the size down fit me!!! It's a medium!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #13  
Because I am.

Default Thrift Shopping

I finally had a successful shopping trip to the local Goodwill store. Since starting this thread, I've lost more weight and am now solidly into a size 18 pants. I actually found four pairs of almost new Alfred Dunner slacks. I also found a number of designer brand tops, which was pretty cool. I do now own some fitted tops that accentuate thinner my waist.

The difference in this trip to the thrift store was that I went on a vacation day from work with no other plans for the day. As a result, I could relax and take my time to look over the racks. The slacks, I did try on at the store to make sure they fit. The blouses, I brought home to try on at home. Only two had to be returned because they were mismarked.

Topping off a good thing, today I hit Onederland. Pretty incredible. Now, I feel like a kid trying to decide what to wear on the first day of school when I go back to work after Labor Day.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by worththeeffort2 View Post
I finally had a successful shopping trip to the local Goodwill store. Since starting this thread, I've lost more weight and am now solidly into a size 18 pants. I actually found four pairs of almost new Alfred Dunner slacks. I also found a number of designer brand tops, which was pretty cool. I do now own some fitted tops that accentuate thinner my waist.

Topping off a good thing, today I hit Onederland. Pretty incredible. Now, I feel like a kid trying to decide what to wear on the first day of school when I go back to work after Labor Day.
Congrats on the awesome weight loss! My first thought on reading your post was of how many people would love to have your problem of finding smaller clothes! But I hate shopping, too, so understand that thought wouldn't be any consolation!

Great news of the additional weight loss, and that your outing was successful. Gotta love thrift stores, it's amazing what can be found in them (good & bad).
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote