View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Yup, that wonderful, amazing twenty something metabolism. Just hold a can of Slim Fast and visualize.

I was the "starving student". I used to treat myself to that bagel with heaps of cream cheese, those piles of salty fries and other good school cafateria food, but for the most part, I survived on peanut butter sandwiches and Ramen. I always gained weight when I was dating someone because I'd be taken out for regular meals. I rarely worked out and never "dieted".

But I remember in my 20s, and again in my 30s, I dieted to lose weight and it came off a lot faster than it is now. I swear I will not gain anything back after this, because if it's this hard now, losing in my 50s and 60s would be a living nightmare.

I think working in retail is a big help because you're standing, walking and moving. You also can't snack while you're on the floor. You wait until your breaks. It sounds like you had great friendships and plenty to keep your mind occupied. It's a lot easier to turn to food when you're bored. Not wanting to seem piggy around other people helps.

I find that the starving student mentality is ingrained in me, sadly, even to this day. I have plenty of food, and I'm not close to starving. Yet, put me in a room full of food, and I will eat it like it's the last meal I will see in days!

Two years ago, I was a caregiver and I would walk 3 miles a day, just at work, a 7.5 hour shift. If I exercised too, I'd be at 20K steps a day. Now I stand all day, I'm lucky to have 5,000 steps at the end of a 10 hour shift, and I've gained 20 pounds since i started working there. It's also very stressful to the point that I know I'll be looking for a new job soon.

I'm also 40-something and my metabolism isn't what it used to be. That's the difference between now and the college years.
"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!"

Last edited by twinieten; 08-22-2014 at 11:35 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote