Old 08-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #88

Just starting a new thread.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all. I was able to turn off the ac last night, which is the first time in a couple weeks. I still don't have it on so maybe it will be a bit cooler today.

I found a bunch of old friends on facebook last night, which was a bit shocking. One had gained a ton of weight, one had lost her little girl chubbiness and is a beautiful grown up lady now, some kids have graduated, married and had children, a couple friends are now grandparents and or inlaws, etc. We have lived down here for 14 years so it is no surprise that kids are now grownups and our friends are now parents of grown ups. I showed Jack some pictures and he was shocked at some as some of the kids were toddlers when we moved down here. Of course, our oldest grandson was a newborn when we moved down here and he is in high school now. Old age does catch up with you.

I am going to work on the downstairs some today. I have the mopping and vacuuming and dusting done so basically it is cleaning countertops, appliances and that sort of thing and cleaning the bathroom. Tomorrow is nails and toes day so nothing with get done, but then on Friday I will tackle the upstairs again.

I have an eye apt on Monday thank goodness. These contacts I have on now are just not strong enough and are driving me nuts. I have been wearing my glasses on and off, but they don't have bifocals in them so either I have to take them off or put a pair of readers over the top of them.

Hope everyone is doing fine. You all have a great day. Faye
Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #3  

Good Morning! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood. I've been to get a haircut, put a load in the washer and dryer, and now waiting to leave for my lunch bunch. Our group is dwindling; one gal hasn't come for several months, another one's husband is going to Omaha for doctor appointments, and a third one is developing memory problems due to mini strokes. I think there will only be three of us today. This afternoon I need to return library books and stop by the Hallmark store to look at Christmas ornaments for the grandkids. Little Kitty has had more kittens. She showed up very late, very hungry, and skinny last night.

"Gma," thanks for starting the new thread for us! I've had a couple FB friend requests from people I've never heard of. Also one from a former student who was a total jerk in school. Needless to say I ignored them all. I was having trouble with my eyes watering so went back on the allergy med which I quit thinking it wasn't working. I could tell a difference within a few hours. I'm doing nails tomorrow too.

I need to change clothes and head for lunch. Enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #4  

Good morning gals. Just a fast check in as I have to leave in 15 minutes to go to the post office then to get my nails done. I like to be there before they open so I can be first one in.

Started some laundry this morning and will finish it throughout the day when I am home. I will finish up cleaning I guess tomorrow.

Jean: Jack has started giving me bridge lessons and I bought two books, a kindle version of Bridge for Dummies and a paperback one Jack wants that is some guy Jack says is the best to learn from. I guess this guy is dead and has been for a long time, but he says it is the best so here we go. It will take me a long time because there is so much memorization for bidding. I am pretty sure I bought this book for Jack a few years ago, but I can't find the darn thing. Hope your day goes well. I am doing purple nails and toes today.

Everyone have a good Thursday. Faye
Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! Another lovely day in the 70s. This is unusual for August in Tidewater Virginia. Someone said that this nice August means we'll be having a hard winter.

I got my haircut yesterday so I can spike it again. I love keeping it very short for I'm in the water 5 days a week at the Y. Today I had an appointment at the research center. Monday was applique bee at Bella Fabrics and tomorrow night is lock-in so a lot of fun this week.

Faye, I'm no good at cards. No matter how much I try or how good the people are who try to teach me, I just can't get it. Except for solitaire. I wish I could play bridge. It's a big thing here and they even have a facility where they play. I love getting a mani and pedi. The place where I go is run by orientals who think they speak English but I only understand about every tenth word. They are excellent and that is what I want.

Jean, you're getting good with the books at church and the gift shop. It's too bad you don't get paid. I guess hair and nails is on all our minds this week.

Maggie, I'm glad Will is home from the hospital and pray for his speedy recovery.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #6  

Good Morning! It's another nice cool, NO wind, morning although the sun has disappeared. I've been to get my nails done and returned the cat chore key. The "mom" was home and the cat peeked around the corner then took off. I'm guessing she recognized my voice and thought her family was leaving her again. I stopped by the grocery store to get a ham like we had the other night before Zowie's play. There weren't many to choose from and all way too big for the two of us, even freezing part of it. So, no ham today.

"Gma," is your nail salon a "walk in" only? I try to be first too! We can make appointments but if they are working on someone, we wait. We tried to learn how to play bridge when we were first married, and gave it up in the interest of staying married. We do play 500, gin rummy, and pinochle years ago. Over the years bridge lessons have been given here, but they were always when we couldn't go. Good luck!

Susan, you have a few busy activities coming up. Yesterday at lunch, one of the gals said she has seen wooly caterpillars which supposedly means a hard winter ahead. I hope not.

I need to put some folded laundry away and think about something for lunch. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #7  

Good morning gals. It has been much cooler in the mornings here but cranks up by afternoon. It is enjoyable not having to run the ac overnight and in the mornings. We save a lot of money that way on our utility bill.

Got my nails done and errands yesterday and we grabbed a deli sandwich we can put into our points and came home and had dinner. It was so nice and quiet her last evening.

Today is tackle cleaning kitchen countertops, stove, micro etc and tomorrow I will tackle the upstairs while Jack is at the dealership getting some recall sensor replaced. It has to do with the power steering. We haven't had trouble, but it is free and we don't want to have trouble down the road so he will go and get it done.

I have started moving clothes, shoes and hygiene type stuff downstairs to start packing. I try to keep climbing the stairs to a minimum until I get this darn hernia repaired. I don't know except for heavy coughing and lifting what can cause problems. I put together a basket full of stuff and Jack carries it downstairs and I have the couch lined up with clothing "sets" I am taking and on the floor is bags with the hygiene stuff so I can make sure it is on the list to cross off when I pack it. I will do my packing down here as it is easier for me.

Please keep my son in your prayers. He went to the doctor's yesterday to schedule a vasectomy and they found an inguinal hernia in his groin so he has to have surgery Sept 16. Same type as I have except in men it is usually in the scrotum area. They said his was congenital, but I would think his jujitsu wouldn't have helped that much with the throwing people and such. His wife and son are in Mexico and he sounded so down yesterday I told his dad to call and talk to him tonight and cheer him up. For a guy who waited until his 30's to get married and loved his bachelorhood, he loves his wife and son and sure does miss them. He is a big tough guy and I think finding something wrong with him shocked him too. Mama isn't always the solution sometimes you have to talk to a man so hopefully dad can do the trick.

We got an email a good 6 months ago from ATT, which handles our internet about U-verse so Jack called and got this obnoxious customer service guy who wouldn't take no for an answer when we told him we didn't want phone service or U-verse tv. Jack hung up on his finally. Yesterday I got an email that said they were switching our area to U-verse fiber optic in 45 days and would lose internet service if we didn't call to switch. I dreaded it, but I told Jack when I called I would make it perfectly clear from the beginning, which I did. The gal was a lot nicer and though she had to make the pitch I told her we had direct tv for 14 years and were perfectly happy with it and did not want landline phone service. She let it go and set us up so next week our speed will double and we won't have to have separate modem and the netgear thingy, one box will do both. I am hoping it will solve our problems because we have had a lot of problems in the last 6 months with logging on and netgear dropping etc. I guess this area has become pretty heavy usage and she said that is what is causing our problems. We get it $15 cheaper than what we pay now for a year then the regular price is only $2 more than we pay now so that is ok if we have better service and faster speed.

Susan: My nail salon are all Vietnamese and they wear masks so it is doubly hard to understand them sometimes. I am pretty good with accents so I have adapted to them pretty well. The American Contract Bridge League, which is the major association for contract bridge has their offices here in Memphis. You can actually take lessons there, but Jack knows how to play and so he is going to teach me and when we get back we are going to set up games and practice, which he said is the best way to learn since I have a couple fundamentals under my belt already. My next hair apt is the Friday before we leave. With the heat the way it is, I need to get it colored a few days ahead of time so it "sets" and when I sweat the color on my neckline doesn't run onto my shirts and make them pink. Washing it about 4-5 times seems to do the trick. Even expensive coloring you have this issue.

Jean: I would have to go over pinochle again, but I learned to play back when Jack was first in the Navy and loved it. Navy guys are big double deck pinochle players and we used to go house to house on weekends since we all didn't have any money. We would all bring eats and have a night of it. Just ourselves and one other couple had kids and Jay was a newborn and her little girl was around 1-2. Bless her heart. I remember her sitting in the back seat of our little Vega coaching me on the way to the hospital when Jay was born. We moved when Jay was 4 months old or so and never saw any of them again. I am pretty good at gin rummy. I play against a computer person online all the time and am pretty good at Euchre too though no one knows how to play that down here it seems. My nail salon is in the Walmart and is walk in though they take appts. I don't make an apt because like you, you sit and wait anyway so why do it. I can't do pedicures anymore because I can't hold up my knee that long for them to work on the bottom of my foot and heel. The gal who did the polish change yesterday even cut my toenails for me, which is great because I don't cut them square like they are supposed to and this way they grow out without making ingrown toenails. I went with purple nails and toes and then painted sparkles on top when I got home.

I guess I should go girls and test my blood and make myself some breakfast. I need to put in my points for the day too before I do anything. You all have a great weekend. We have commissary shopping this weekend and you know how I love that! Faye
Old 08-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #8  

Good Morning! We got up to rain this morning, and "something" in the live trap. Someone told Bob to cover it and maybe Little Kitty would go in. It turned out to be a baby possum who now resides where Bob took all the other critters. I've been to the clinic for lab work and go back for a physical at 9:30. They have a new computer system which means hurry up and wait at the desk. Ian is supposed to have a football scrimmage this afternoon. I wouldn't feel bad if they got rained out. All of his games are on Thursdays at 6, 7, or 7:30. Most are at 7:30 which is too late on a school night imo, and too late for us driving home. Amanda said parents weren't happy either. Soccer games are Mondays and Thursdays, 5:30 or 6:30. They are closer to home so they aren't so bad.

"Gma," the humidity is on the rise here. I wouldn't be surprised if the air is on later today. How do you keep your cruise clothes from being wrinkled? I read a hint to use dry cleaner bags between layers. I hate it when sales people won't take no for an answer. I've hung up on a few over the years. I would need a refresher session for pinochle too; we played double deck and it's so fun. We used to wrap Jason in blankets and lay him jin the corner. We did the same as you when we lived in Ohio, going from house to house. I will keep Jay in my thoughts and prayers. Is this hernia a simple fix, or not? We've had a couple guys at church go home the same day, which would make me nervous.

Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday! Have a great day!
Old 08-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #9  

Happy Saturday! The sun is shining and the humidity is rising. The temperature is on the move upward too. It's been a lazy Saturday since we got home later last night we slept later this morning. Had a late breakfast, have sheets in the washer, made some bran muffins, and need to clean off the kitchen counters.

Ian had several good plays in the game last night -- like I would have a clue. He did make a touchdown, which I saw and knew what was going on. I just am not a football fan at all.

I need to keep moving. Enjoy a super Saturday!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I have been MIA but haven’t had much to say of late. Will continues to get stronger each day and sees his doctor on Monday.

I have been ordering the supplies that I don’t have for doll making. Today Will went into Hobby Lobby and bought me a neat tool and goodies holder for my doll making which is built like a “Lazy Susan” and has triangular drawers around the bottom of it. It is six sided with various sized compartments in which to have the items standing up. I have it loaded with what doll making items I have so far gathered up. It will make it so much easier to find something when I need it. It will fit nicely in a plastic bin I have the other items like books and material etc. for when we travel. I can leave it loaded for it will sit nicely in the bin with the lid closed. I have the cutest little iron for doing very small pieces which is a wand ~ like a hair curler type thing with the little one inch triangular foot on the end. I have several pairs of good scissors and a cutting wheel with extra blades. Now I need to decide what doll I want to make first and get the material for the clothing gathered up. Once I have all the tools I need then when I make another doll all I will have to buy is the material and an occasional bottle of something to replace when necessary. It has been a fun quest I have been on finding sources to fill my shopping list of necessary items that I got out of one the doll making books. For each doll they have a thorough list of items that will be needed which is most helpful.

JEAN I am glad you had a good time at that game. I understand football enough but find it as exciting as watching paint dry. Baseball is my game. :cp

Hello DONNA FAYE and SUSAN

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #11  

Evening ladies. I must be losing it. I was sure I came in here and posted this morning.

I cleaned the upstairs and have had Jack start bringing down baskets of stuff for vacation. I stick them in the dryer and steam out the wrinkles then I fold them in rectangles, smoothing out all the wrinkles as I go then when I get ready to pack they can be packed that way. Tissue paper can help so I imagine dry cleaner bags could too. I find if I take my time folding them in the rectangles and packing carefully they don't come out wrinkled. I also take the wrinkle release spray and pick out outfits the day before and if they are wrinkled spray them and pull them and let them dry and do it over again if need be. I have a steamer, but they aren't allowed on the ship so I don't want to chance it.

I have been working on the blanket for the baby and made a booboo so had to take out a few rows. I put one too many patterns in the blue section so had to take 4 rows out and then switch colors.

Jack took the car to the dealership and had them recalibrate the computer for this steering sensor thing. He was only there about an hour, but he went before they opened so he could get in early. He said he wandered around looking at new cars while he waited and said they only had 3-4 of the sedans we are considering and didn't have many Explorers either. You can tell where we live as all of the cars were locked so you couldn't look inside them without a salesman with you.

We had a shooting just a few miles from here last night. This was just despicable. The man shot his handicapped 6 year old daughter who was helpless in a wheelchair then shot his 24 yr old son. His other child ran out and got away as the cops came. The guy shot at the cops then turned the gun on himself. Why couldn't he have just shot himself and left the kids be? He was having some fight with his ex-wife.

Our new modem will be here on Monday then the change over to fiber optic will happen sometime on Wednesday. It will be nice to have double the speed and better overall internet service without the prices going sky high.

Jean: Good for Ian. We used to go to our nephew's high school football games with my younger sister and her husband. Jay was all into art not sports. I like baseball and that is about it. I haven't even been watching much of it this year. They can do his surgery laproscopically so more than likely he will only be in the hospital a day or so if he has no problems. I figure they will do his vasectomy at the same time. I wish they could do my hernia surgery that way, but like women who have had multiple C sections, then cannot give birth vaginally, I have had too many open incisions surgeries for them to do anything other than cut me open again. I have a lull with drs until I get back then have to have the surgery, the endometrial biopsy and mammogram and sonogram all before the end of the year then regular dr and pharmacy dr in January. Somewhere in there I need to get a flu shot I suppose.

Maggie: Glad Will is on the mend. Sounds like you are going to be able to start having fun with your dolls soon.

You all have a nice evening. You may not see me in here tomorrow so if you don't I will talk to you all on Monday, more than likely after I get home from the eye doctor. Faye
Old 08-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! The sun is playing hide 'n seek, but it's hot and humid in my neighborhood today. I forgot to set the alarm last night so slept later than usual this morning. Didn't make it to the Dog and Pony show, i.e. church, this morning. We will be so glad to get back to two services in September. I've done some laundry and sorted through a kitchen cupboard -- put some never used cake pans in the SOS box along with several cookbooks. Slow but steady conquers the excess, right?

Maggie, I'm glad Will is feeling stronger and mending well. I will be anxious to learn what doll you decide to create first.

"Gma," you sound like me now, knit one row then rip out two or three to the mistake and start over again. I'm ready to go around the outside edge of the afghan but am having a hard time getting back to it. Will asked the other day if I was going to wrap it up for Christmas. We drove an Explorer (I think) the last time and didn't like stepping over the edge and down to get in, plus it didn't have the width room we wanted. It seemed like there wasn't much foot space and that's where I put my purse so it's handy. Bob really liked the Taurus he had 15 years ago and then Ford quit making them for awhile. His adjuster has a new one and Bob thought it sits higher than most cars.

Bob is ready to remove the wall paper border in the bathroom so guess I should go help. That wasn't in my plan for the day. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #13  

Good morning girls! Going to be super hot almost 100 everyday this week and the humidity was so high last night that the temp was 91 and the heat index was 109. Our house didn't really feel cool though it was. It is raining off and on here today too.

I am leaving in just a bit to go to my eye doctor appt. It will be good to get new contacts that work a lot better for me. I need to go back to my original prescription I imagine.

I am working on all my clothes, shoes, etc now to get started to pack. I am finding I bought way too many clothes and shoes. At least I will have plenty for the trip and since there is no limit on the number of bags you can take aboard, I will be a-ok!

We went grocery shopping yesterday and I felt so bad I started out walking and gave it up and got a scooter cart. I have had a queasy stomach every morning and it didn't seem to want to go away. I think it is because I am on that second dose of Metformin. Not much I can do about it as I would rather be on it than go back to insulin. It doesn't make me throw up just that queasy feeling.

Weigh day and I am down 3.4 lbs. It is coming off little by little. Jack has 5 measily little lbs and he will be at his ultimate goal, which is 205. He has lost a total of 35 lbs now. He said he hasn't weighed this little since he retired from the Navy. I just know he feels better and his knees do too.

Well, the city did it to Jack again. When this whole promotion thing came up, they had to apply then their applications had to be sent downtown, which were checked to see if they had all the appropriate qualifications for the job, one of which was supervisory experience. Jack has years of it from the Navy. Anyhow, he was vetted along with a couple other guys, neither of which had any supervisory experience at all and were fairly new to the plant so didn't have plant experience either. This has been ongoing for months as you know so a few days ago Jack ask the guy what was going on. He told Jack that Jack was NOT going to be interviewed because he didn't have the right qualifications, namely he wasn't a mechanic. How Jack kept his cool I don't know, because I would have told the guy off. They have already interviewed the other people and weren't even going to tell Jack. So, no promotion for him, but he said he is still going to put in his 20 years, but they can kiss his behind if they think he is going to do any overtime ever again or help them out on the weekends. They can choose not to do overtime because the city is too cheap to have an overtime system because they don't want to pay for people to be on call, which is fine, but cannot demand anyone to come in and work overtime. I guess Jack wasn't going to tell me about it because he knew I would get mad at how they went about it. It would have been different if they had said he needed to be a mechanic to do the job, but they didn't. It isn't a mechanic foreman job it is a maintenance foreman job and Jack has experience in everything but the motors and even studied up on motors and such to be interviewed. I told him to just be careful and not make his immediate boss mad at him so that when he needed considerations his boss wouldn't tell him no, like when he had to take off when I went into the hospital this last time to come and pick me up.

Jean: Hope your border came down easily. We need to strip the wallpaper in the hall bath upstairs sometime in the future. It is starting to come down.
I would like to get the blanket done. I am not keep on blankets anyway because they take so long to make, but I wanted to give her something nice she could pass on to the next generation. We are planning on waiting until probably after Christmas of 2015 to buy another car. It will be nice to have two so that I don't have to get up and take him to work at 6 AM. I can go to water aerobics classes and such too and have dr appts anytime without having to worry I won't be out in time and such.

Well girls, I need to go. I am leaving in just a bit to go to the eye drs. Have a great week. Faye
Old 08-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! It's another sunny humid day although not terribly hot. There were only two of us to count money this morning. The secretary was awol and didn't have her sh*t together so there was about $6000 missing from the automatic bank pay. She should have run it last week so we would have had it today. Oh well, next week will look even better. I had to go to the hospital and balance the money for the day, plus pick up last weeks money, since the gal who usually does it is gone this week. This afternoon is P.E.O. And then we are heading to Sioux City to pick up the kids for soccer games. Beth is chomping at the bit because she still hasn't been transferred back to days.

"Gma," one can never have too many clothes! You will have such fun deciding which outfit to wear. I hate that queasy feeling. I hope your body either gets used to ithe med or you can take something else. On losing another 3.4 #s, and to Jack too! It's too bad the city fathers didn't at least have the courtesy to let Jack know about the job. I sure wouldn't do them any favors either. Bob worked up a sweat in the bathroom yesterday. I thought it would be an easy job because the paper was coming loose in different places. Not so, and the wall looks pretty icky right now. Bob said he will sand it lightly and hope for the best. The paint should help too.

Time to go! Hope you all are enjoying your day!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! It's another humid day although only 82 degrees according to the thermometer. The strange weather continues! I spent the morning sorting through the paper clutter and putting "stuff" away; I was in a hurry yesterday and tend to leave things lay when that happens. This afternoon WE went to look at paint colors. Bob thought we were buying and I picked out samples to bring home and stick on the walls. All of his choices were too dark imo, the bathroom is small with only one "whole" wall. We'll see . . . . . .

I am sad, yet hopeful. Our brain tumor friend has been taken out of the therapy program due to lack of improvement, and placed in Hospice. They can provide some services that the rehab place cannot, so are hopeful the antidepressants will kick in soon and he will feel like he can achieve some movement. Right now all he wants to do is sleep. They have an MRI scheduled for September but I'm not sure why they are waiting that long. He was to start chemo but is too weak right now. A sad situation.

"Gma," tomorrow is Wednesday, so hope your internet (or whatever) is up and running again! Bummer to be without!

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day.