Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Default August Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat

Welcome to the August Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat. Let's continue chatting and supporting each other.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Thanks for starting the new thread, Trish. It's so hard to believe it's August already. For me, that always means summer is ending, even though by the calendar there's still another 6 weeks. The flowers all start dying off. It's still hot and humid and will be for a while, but once Labor Day comes it's time to put away the shorts and get out the sweaters.

I'm doing somewhat better, but I had ice cream last night and now I don't want to talk about my FBS. It will go back down. I'll have to get DH to finish off the ice cream!

My grandson is here for the day. He will be 6 tomorrow and they are leaving for Virginia Beach. So far he has had a brownie and 2 donuts. I don't approve of all the sweets, but mom allows him and pap pap allows him so I get voted down. I had my scrambled eggs with mushrooms, lentils and kale. That's MY yummy! I will probably eat some left over pot roast for lunch with veggies and will go out for baked fish for dinner. DH will have pizza. That's what I like about eating out. We can each order what we like.

Liliann, not everyone can stick to low carb. Most get constipation. I combat it by eating fiber. Lots of vegetables, and beans. Luckily I love beans. They have a high carb count, but the fiber offsets that. I cannot eat bread, even if it's whole grain. I guess I could do it if I ate 1 slice, but it is a trigger food for me and I tend to binge on it. So I stay away from it. I need to start drinking more water, too.

Hi Billie, I'm glad you decided to post. I think exercise and weight loss will be best for you because your FBS and A1c are still pretty low. The best way to test when you're starting out it to test 2-3 hours after a meal. I think the ADA says you should not go over 180 post-prandial but others say not to go over 140. That's not going to happen for me, but some can sustain it. If you go too high, make note of what you ate and you will know that that's a food you should avoid, or eat in moderation. My biggest problem is bread and bread products, baked goods, pizza crust, etc. Another bad one is obviously ice cream as I found out last night!

Are you on medication for your thyroid? That should help with weight loss. I don't know much about PCOS but I do post a little on the PCOS thread when people have questions about Metformin.

If you have any questions, ask away. One of us will have an answer or be able to point you in the right direction. We have learned that different foods effect people differently and you just have to test to find your problem foods.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #3  

Well here it is August and I'm actually starting the month with a .2 gain from the beginning of last month.

My veggie soup which was probably thickened with carbs and the corn muffin was a bad idea. I should have stayed with the fish and 2 veggies. Went from yesterday's fbs of 128 to 162 this morning. Grrrr The only good thing is that my weight was down .4 from yesterday. I changed my ticker to today's WI.

Well, back to my regular plan today. Since I've had the cornbread muffin with no porblem before then I think it probably was the veggie soup. It was very thick and the veggies seemed to be only corn, peas and green limas. Come to think of it, that is a lot of carby veggie grains. I never eat corn and cornbread together. I just know not to order their veggie soup any more. I would have been better off with the baked potato. From now own, I will know to stay with the meat and 2 veggie dinner when I go there. Another lesson learned.

I'm back OP this morning headed for a normal low carb day. I'm having my coffee and Atkins shake with blueberries and 1/2 banana which has become a regular morning breakfast which I alternate between strawberries and blueberries. Would love to use blackberries but the seeds get under my bridge. Any way I've gotten use to them.

I've been eating the Atkins dinners to learn more about how to cook low carb meals and for quick meals. They do have so much more fat that I really like to use so I'm thinking of begin to make some of my own. It will get me moving more that is for sure. I like the idea of beans like the pinto beans mixed in with my food. So I'm thinking of taking some ground meat or chunks of chicken etc and mix them into some sort of bean mixture. It isn't uncommon for me to mix all my foods into a bowl like a casserole. DH teases me about the fact that I will mix anything and eat it. Unlike my picky hubby who doesn't like foods to touch, I figure it is all going the same place. I love crock pot cooking. I figure I can make enough to last a few days. I'm not giving up. I figure was a lesson day and today I just move on. I do know that I can eat corn, peas and limas. However, I also know that I can NOT eat them all at one time in one meal. I think I would have been fine if I had not eaten the soup. A good thing that happened at that meal is that I did not eat any of the croutons. I pushed them aside and I was not tempted to eat the crackers. Croutons and crackers used to be 2 favorite parts of a salad meal for me. So while there was some bad, there also was some progress seen. I am learning and that is part of learning to get control of diabetes.

Sorry this is so long. Just sharing what I'm going through since we are all going through, I hope it helps each of us to grow when we see what we are all experiencing. I learn from y'all what mistakes not to make and also I learn some things to try. This is the important part of our chat thread for me. So please continue to share.

Billie Again WELCOME to our thread. Please feel free to jump in and share what you are learning etc. That is how we all learn.

Shannon Does this mean that the sellers agreed to fix the problems but are just getting estimates? Sure hope things go in your favor. I know time is just ticking by, but probably when things work out things will be moving fast and before you know it you will be in your new home. Praying for God to do a quick work there for y'all.

Lillian You are really doing good and you are learning what does and doesn't work for you. That is what we have to do.

Carol Sue Hope things are going better for you today.

Rennie, Donna, Moonkissed, dgramie and others

Have a great day!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Happy August, looking forward to the last day of VBS! This has been a crazy busy week and is perfect ending to a crazy busy last month. August looks a little less hectic well at least it will after tomorrow. My girls are singing at a festival tomorrow which means packing up early (including a stand up bass) and driving for an hour and a half. I think I'll bring food with us as it will be an all day affair and I know that the choices are going to be limited to hot dogs and chips and soda. Not exactly D friendly food.

177.8 today. All that dancing around at VBS is paying off
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #5  
300+ Chick

Trsih...Good luck today with low carb food choices...sorry about the gain..just keep at it and that pesky gain will be gone once you know it.

Billie...Welcome!

Donna...Bravo on your weight loss...Nice pic of you and your hard work is paying off...Congrats!!

Carol Sue...Glad that you are feeling better...I like red kidney beans, canned, that is I sometimes eat..to get that extra fiber..I am more of a fruit eater than veggies...I guess low carb plans is not for me...and also not a cook. I had learned eating high fiber when I was doing weight watchers points years ago..and my mindset is high fiber...

My morning FBS is 114...I walked 80 minutes this morning..and am done for walking today...Need to get more lancets next week to continue checking my sugar.

Thursday night had talked with my male friend, his aunt dealing with this disease and had to remove 1 leg from his aunt..So sad..This is my more determined to avoid sugar laden foods..and plenty of exercise. I had stopped using raw sugar in my iced coffee. and went shopping ,food and brought sugar free jam with fiber...high fiber buns and breads...

Ladies have a good one and keep plugging along on making wise food choices. My home scale is kind to me...high and lows...Be well all.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #6  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

They have not agreed to anything yet, I guess they are just questioning our quotes. Hopefully by Monday we'll know for sure....closing is a week from Monday.

So, it looks like I'm going to be in 'All You' magazine.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #7  
300+ Chick

Shannon...Wishing you much good things of your moving this month..Hoping everything goes well for you and family.

My food choices was an great high fiber day!! plus 5 12 oz..of water in!! Could be more rest of the night. I am hoping my fbs number in the morning agrees...with my high fiber food choices ..

The upcoming week I might do and push myself to do exercise in the evenings..Maybe dancing...I see how the new week goes..July was a very stressfull month...so am hoping August will shine on for me to dance.

Enjoy your evening all....and have a great weekend..Checking in later..
Old 08-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #8  
300+ Chick

Friday morning FBS..114
Saturday Morning FBS...106
Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Liliann, you are doing wonderful with your FBS! Keep on doing whatever you're doing!

Shannon, so you're not going to be in Health magazine? I will have to google "All You" and see what's up with that.

The sellers are dragging their feet, probably hoping you will cave on wanting the repairs done. An 8 year old house should not need any repairs IMO.

I finally faced the scale this morning. Back up to 197. Up, down, up, down. I just want down, down. LOL I'll deal with it.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #10  

Quick flyby this morning. Getting to run out the door. Regular Saturday go to beauty, store and get pizza. Haven't decided if I'm eating the pizza. I can usually get by with it but I'm trying to stay on track.

Carol Sue I know how you feel with the up down, up down. Seems like I take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back or whatever. Never seem to really get ahead. Weight is at 223.4 this morning is exactly where I was on July 1st. Strange how I followed no plan on vacation and was down to 219 when I came home and now I'm on this roller coaster again. Maybe dieting per se doesn't work at least not for me. I just don't know and don't understand this stuff. FBS was down 10 pts from yesterday to 152 so I guess that is progress, it is just that I was staying below 120s for a while there and now I'm back to this fighting it again. But I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP. I know I've don't it before so I know I CAN DO IT AGAIN!!! We will do it Carol Sue. Hang in there.

Lilliann You are doing great.

Shannon So sorry about those peoples attitude. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

You girls have a good day. I'll try to get back later.

I just had to post to keep me keeping on. I know when we have a tendency not to post is when we have a tendency to get into trouble. I know I do.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #11  
300+ Chick

Do you think its our age that the weight level goes up and down? I also dealing with weight cycling...under 400 and back..and I check my home scale each morning. I am 47 y/o..Maybe its tougher as we aged.It was so much easier in the past..do not know now...but hanging in there.

Trish and Carol Sue....I am with you on the scale...We all are winners anyway for not giving up this battle.Some how,some way...we will make it happen. Let's not give up hope!! Stay strong ladies...

Have a better food choices day...Weekends are tough and loose my fiber count..My sister always order take out foods and I always give in..either pizza or chinese ..I do good during the week..but weekends is a different story. What I had learned from weight watchers is making half my day whole grains...

Stay strong ladies..
Old 08-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #12  

Lilliann Yes, I do believe that our age does have something to do with the way we struggle. I've heard that our metabolism slows down. I've also heard that fiber is the key to slowing down insulin release. I just have a problem with all the gas from it. But I think I'm going to rethink that.

I've about decided to just count calories. I've been kind of doing that any way. I know I'm not going to give up some carby foods. I've gone to MFP and let the site figure my daily calories count to lose 1 lb a week. I can't afford to buy the Atkins dinners because they are almost $4 a piece and not all of them are all that good. I do like some of the WW Smart Ones and did purchase a few of them at 2 for $4. But I am thinking about eating more greens, beans and a few grains. Old fashioned way of eating that I've seen people in my family and my deceased hubbies family eat who lived to be into their 80s and 90s. I think I could learn some things from them. They had no high bp, no high bs and were basically healthy. In their 80s they could do a heck of a lot more than I can at 70. At any rate, I'm going to get this fbs under control.

Lilliann Thanks for the pep talk.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Hi Billie, I'm glad you decided to post. I think exercise and weight loss will be best for you because your FBS and A1c are still pretty low.
Are you on medication for your thyroid? That should help with weight loss.
FBS was 113. That's better than the last few mornings. It was 140 a few hours after dinner. I just checked it again a few hours after dessert and it was down to 129. I have major mental blocks with taking the metformin. I know plenty of reasons why I should but the stubborn part of me seems to think I don't need it. This last A1C is hopefully the wake up I needed though. Doc only has me on 500 x2/day but I have a tendency to take all 1000mg at once. Only a day or two of side effects and then I'm okay. Now to remember to take them consistently.

I've been on Levothroid for over 9 years. That has never helped with the weight that I've noticed in the past. I should go look over my weights from the past 10 years and see if there was any correlation between my weight and needing an increased dose though. That might actually explain some weight gain over the years.

I've been larger ever since I hit puberty and have fought off and on for the last 20 years. The lightest I can remember being as an adult is down to 228 and that is when I got pregnant. I was almost there one other time after the twins were born but it didn't last long before I gained everything back plus some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonsnail View Post
They have not agreed to anything yet, I guess they are just questioning our quotes. Hopefully by Monday we'll know for sure....closing is a week from Monday.

So, it looks like I'm going to be in 'All You' magazine.
Hopefully your sellers fix what needs fixing. We moved into a rental 5 years ago. After living it in for almost three years the owner decided to put up a for sale sign. Never even asked us if we were interested in purchasing. We hemmed and hawed for a few months and decided that we didn't want to move and put in an offer. It took us 3 months before we closed. She ended up doing a short sale and she had to have the porch leveled before closing. One corner had sunk almost 5 inches in 11 years. It was so frustrating waiting on everyone else to get their stuff done all while not knowing if we were gonna have to move because I our lease was coming up also.

I was in 'All You' a few years back. Just a little snippet on how to make your school year bedtimes smoother. I look forward to reading about whatever helpful advice you have.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #14  
300+ Chick

Hello all...

Today FBS...116... I have decided to check my sugar and weight every month..I am sick and tired of these high and low stats..So Sept 1st..I will check in both.

Have a good Sunday ladies...Be well.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

Fbs is 94 today and yesterday. I am pleased with it being and staying in the normal range. Hubby's fbs is running under 100 all the time.
I worked a clothes giveaway at church yesterday. It was a lot of work but rewarding. We served about 100 families.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote