Old 08-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #1  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Would like your input, advice, whatever!

I am a WW lifetime member at goal.

Awhile back, we needed another receptionist. So I started training.

Now our leader is leaving.

We are in a small rural area, but do have a very dynamic group.

But no one who wanted to step up to be the leader. So, I called our territory manager, and said I would do it!

I am totally on board for this.

I know my group, and I get the whole corporate thing, but, I would like input.

As a soon to be leader. on the week to week basis, how can I help? What do the masses really want?

I am thankful, that I've had a good leader, and our sub leader is the bomb!

I just want to be sure that I can continue what we have!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #2  
Less of a Better Me

I think it varies from person to person. It is really hard to be all things to all people.

The leaders I've liked the best certainly followed the prescribed topic each week, but brought their own flair to it. To be honest, the ones I've liked the bet followed the topic, but weren't just totally wedded to it. The ones I haven't liked just follow the script and don't really say much.

I hate it when leaders force group activities. I don't mind leaders asking members for feedback -- I like that. What I don't like are the ones that make you get in a small group or compare something with another member. I just don't like those activities because they are forced. Responding to questions to the group is my choice. I hate, hate, hate being forced into a group thing.

Some leaders hardly ever mention exercise and seem to almost discourage it. I don't like that either.

I don't like too much cheerleading for the WW products particularly the food products (that I don't think are all that healthy). Mentioning something on sale or a new product is fine, but touting stuff ad nauseam isn't.

I like leaders who spend a fair amount of time on awards and ask people to give some feedback (what's working for you, etc). On the other hand, I don't like it when leaders make a big deal of someone who has a huge weight loss in a week where it is basically either water weight or losing weight too quickly.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #3  
Looking for the 200's

S/C/G: 325/311.4/174

Height: 6'0

I agree with a lot of what Koshka says. I hate forced group stuff. We have a sub that does that whenever he is there, and a few time I have thought about just doing the weigh in and leaving when I see him. I also really like the awards part, our leader always starts by asking about non scale victories. I get really bummed wards get skipped by subs. I like to share mine and get really motivated by hearing others. No one at my location pushes the food at all, and I would find it annoying if they did. Honestly if they pushed it I would wonder what was more important sales or over all wellbeing of members.
milliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/124.5/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't do WW, but my mom has used it successfully many times, and I know some of her likes and dislikes in a leader.

I think the big thing is to be energetic and encouraging, but also be realistic. Never shame someone for not doing "enough" or encourage unrealistic goals.

The other thing is the product hard sell that others are mentioning. A lot of meetings seem to be really pushing the products these days. You should absolutely inform members of products that are available if they ask or if something new comes out, because for some it may be easier to eat a lot of packaged goods with points on the label, but a really good leader will encourage eating fresh foods and will open the group to sharing healthy recipes and discussing roadblocks.
underanalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #5  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

First, Congratulations for being selected as Leader!

I currently use online only, but in the past I have been successful with meetings. The Leaders I loved were the ones I could relate to. Who whatever the topic told personal anecdotes how they used to behave, and how they got over it. They admit they struggle. In other words, they were very relatable and not just reading a script.

For current events, I am also active in an ww fb page. The ongoing discussions are always: which is better, tracking or S.F.; how many fruit points are too many; should I eat all my weeklies/activity points; I stayed 100% and I gained; Exercise causes you to gain. . . So in other words be prepared to talk the members "off the ledge" and have them keep it up and not quit.

Good Luck!

Oh and recipes, everyone loves recipes!
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

I wish leaders would talk more about behaviors and thinking than what and what not to eat. I know what's healthy and what's not and I think most people do as well. For most people it's all about managing your thoughts/emotions when it comes to staying on plan.
SweetyKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

Thank you for the input.

It gives me the insight I want, to try and balance what WW says, but still relate to the people.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #8  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

The quickest turn off for me are the leaders that push WW products. I think it's fine to mention it at the end, but don't give me a sales pitch.

I also prefer leaders that aren't extremists. I like a leader that screws up and admits it. I like someone that still drinks occasionally, still indulges in decadent food sometimes, and doesn't work out 24/7. I want someone realistic that still succeeded and gets that weight loss isn't so cut and dry.

I do like the leaders that focus on what worked for people and encourages dialogue. I enjoy recipes, too.

I don't care for the group activities.

Congrats, btw!!
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #9  
Jillian stole my abs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchFattitude View Post
The quickest turn off for me are the leaders that push WW products. I think it's fine to mention it at the end, but don't give me a sales pitch.

I also prefer leaders that aren't extremists. I like a leader that screws up and admits it. I like someone that still drinks occasionally, still indulges in decadent food sometimes, and doesn't work out 24/7. I want someone realistic that still succeeded and gets that weight loss isn't so cut and dry.

I do like the leaders that focus on what worked for people and encourages dialogue. I enjoy recipes, too.

I don't care for the group activities.

Congrats, btw!!

Could not resist the "bravo", as WW is big on handing out the bravo stickers.

Anyway, due to leader leaving, got fast tracked for training! What a whirlwind.

Things are working themselves out. I now have 2 meetings under my belt, with a mentor on hand to help me out. Plus, my group has been super supportive.

The first meeting, I was so nervous.

Tonight went better.

I can do this!

I would like to thank all of you for your comments, and I will keep them in mind as I go forward.

When I joined back in 2006, if anyone would have said, "You will one day, be the leader", I would have told them they were, certifiably "nuttier, than a tree full of squirrels."

For whatever reason, for me it's working. Tonight, I did forget a point, when I remembered it, I admitted, my oops, we covered it and moved on.

So far, this has been an incredible learning experience! From member to leader, in some ways, has been a tough transition, in others, easy.

The easy, is I believe in WW, the hard, being the leader, not the member.

Two totally different concepts.

Moving forward, I will keep an open mind, and remind myself, "I am a member "first", a leader, "second."

Thank you for all of your input, and listening.