Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #1  

Default GBS in 2005 - gained it back anyone else in the same boat?

Okay, so I had the surg in 2005 and lost about 135 lbs or so. I can point to a few things in the last 9 years that really went off track in my life that caused the weight re-gain but that's not what I want to talk about.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a significant re-gain, gone back to the protein diet (shakes, low carbs, etc.) initial diet and lost again. I know that the surg. has held because I do sometime feel "too full" and can get sick on occasion. I also know that my major downfall is soda.

If there's anyone else out there I'd love someone to talk to. I've got about 175 lbs to lose now. I've ordered protein samples and intend to start over once I get those in. I used to be so careful about my carb intake, the 3 protein shakes a day, taking all the vitamins. It will be REALLY hard to go back to that...especially breaking the sugar addiction again.

For those of you thinking about that surg. let me serve as a cautionary tail. The first 2 years is when you'll have the easiest and fastest weight loss. It will be your honeymoon period but your body WILL adapt. The surg is a tool not an answer...during the honeymoon period try and work on all the reasons why you may have been overweight in the first place. Because those reasons aren't going away.

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Hi Deb! I lost about 285 pounds, then regained about 90 because i caved into unbelievable unrelenting stress, and have been working on getting it off. i have about 15 pounds to go... thank goodness.

yes - it's about back to basics, for me. but the kicker is that I'm now used to eating FOOD - and protein shakes don't always cut it. we'll figure it out.... i promise.

and while it IS hard to go back to square one, we were there before - we can do it again.

Last edited by jiffypop; 08-02-2014 at 03:50 PM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #3  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I didnt have the gastric bypass..I had the gastric sleeve and its been almost a year since surgery and I know I have gained weight back..a lot.. I know i stretched my sleeve out a bit..I can eat a lot more..and I know I didnt follow the rules..

How to lose the weight now? No clue...I wish someone would have told me that you could gain the weight back and you could stretch out your stomach..cause I heard from so many people that you couldnt stretch out your tummy..so I indulged in pop and several times ate till i felt sick..and now? I can eat and eat and eat..Forget restriction...

It sucks that I never even got down to 100 pounds lost before gaining it back..

The question is: How do you start over?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

go back to the basics. no more soda. no more trying to figure out how to get around the sleeve. control the amount that you put in your mouth. it's possible that your sleeve MIGHT shrink back.

and it might be worth a trip to the doc to see if the surgery is still intact. it's always possible that they can do something to help you along.

Nobody ever said this would be easy - but, if you don't mind me being a bit blunt, I've NEVER met anyone on this planet who could control their weight without paying attention to a certain set of rules. The rules may be different for different people, but EVERYONE follows some rules.

You know what your rules are.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I haven't had WLS but I did lose 110 lbs and then gain it back by going back to my own bad habits. It took me almost 2 years of trying and giving up and trying and giving up before I FINALLY decided to buckle down again. I'm down 28 so far.

There is one thing I can tell you-- for some reason, it is harder to think about getting back on track than it is to actually lead the lifestyle. For me, I had to white knuckle through the first 10 days, but since then, it hasn't been that tough.

I would recommend getting yourself a huge calendar and a big red pen. DECIDE that you will stick to a specific plan for a set number of days. (I promised I would do 3 days, then I changed it to a week, then to a month). Each day that you complete on plan cross it out with a big red X. Once you are back in the swing of things, you will start to lose weight and I promise that once you're actually DOING it, it won't seem as hard as when you are thinking about doing it. Good luck!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #6  

Thank you for answering my post! It hung out there for a few days and I started thinking I was the only one. Shame of it is, I knew you could gain it back....I met a woman in one of my support groups about the first week and she'd gained it back.

Soda is a big thing for me. I know it's bad...especially for your bones not to mention just plain sugar content...but I still drink it.

Today is my 44th birthday. Hard to believe it's almost 10 yrs since I had the surg. Like every year, losing the weight again is top on my list. I've ordered protein samples and I WILL get back on the ball. I agree, I think I will have to white knuckle it for a while before I get back on track...breaking the soda and sugar habit will be hard.

I already have the big calendar and a food journal. I'll try and be more active on the boards just to keep myself focused. I keep thinking about that "making the connection" thing Oprah came out with years ago with Bob Green...pretty much the big connection was, "yeah dieting stinks, everyone hates exercise but you have to do it. There is no easy fix." At least that's what I got out of it.

Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #7  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
I didnt have the gastric bypass..I had the gastric sleeve and its been almost a year since surgery and I know I have gained weight back..a lot.. I know i stretched my sleeve out a bit..I can eat a lot more..and I know I didnt follow the rules..

How to lose the weight now? No clue...I wish someone would have told me that you could gain the weight back and you could stretch out your stomach..cause I heard from so many people that you couldnt stretch out your tummy..so I indulged in pop and several times ate till i felt sick..and now? I can eat and eat and eat..Forget restriction...

It sucks that I never even got down to 100 pounds lost before gaining it back..

The question is: How do you start over?

No one TOLD you? Not the doctors or counselors? That's terrible! My good friend who had the sleeve was told repeatedly, and also that the sleeve is the method of surgery that most easily re-stretches! That is really awful that you weren't better informed by the docs.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #8  
Releasing the inner hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
No one TOLD you? Not the doctors or counselors? That's terrible! My good friend who had the sleeve was told repeatedly, and also that the sleeve is the method of surgery that most easily re-stretches! That is really awful that you weren't better informed by the docs.

If I remember correctly, porthardygurl was a self-pay at a clinic in Mexico, so she didn't go through the hoops that other clinics and programs require.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #9  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Oh I see.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #10  

Well, I'm going to go back to basics. Had a REALITY check this week in a major way. My endo doc wants me to try diabetic medication to lose weight and today I found out that I've got a partial ligament tear in my foot. If the boot I'm wearing doesn't help I'm looking at a cast and walker or possible surg. This is on top of a ligament tear in my shoulder and one of my knees.
Frankly, I'm scared to death I'm going to end up in a wheel chair and I'm so damned angry at myself right now.

I'm going to get back to the basics that I started after the GBS. 90 grms in protein shakes a day and less than 20 grams of carbs (have to look up the exact amount there). No soda. No drinking a half hour before, during, or an hour after eating.

The doctors keep urging me to go back to my GBS but I'm ashamed. Plus, what can he do? I'd eat/drink through a band and I'm too afraid to let them do another surg. on me.

Not that I'd wish this on anyone but I'd like to chat with others in the same boat. I'll try and post how I am just to try and keep on track.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #11  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I lost about 70 lbs post op after having the sleeve and gained back about 20. I've gotten most of it back off but it hasn't been easy. I've been increasing my exercise and really watching my food intake and trying to drink more water. I had started drinking alcohol daily to cope with stress and I've cut that out pretty much. If I could live off protein shakes and bars I absolutely would. I have a hard time with real food. I have a hard time making choices and starting to hate cooking.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

Hi Deb - I'm so sorry your wakeup call is so PAINFUL! but if it helps you get back on track, well, go with it.

Perhaps your doc wants you to go see your surgeon just to be sure that all the bypass stuff is still ok - no stretching, no scarring, nothing that would interfere with your re-commitment.

I started back on protein shakes at the end of last week, and it's made a HUGE difference, and not just in my appetite. i FEEL so much better, too. we can do this!
Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

Deb.......what medication are they wanting to put you on? My endo put me on metformin.....really helps with the #2 issue I was having and has helped with the insulin resistance. She wants to keep me on the metformin and possibly putting me on a medication I will have to inject to control the "head hunger"....we will discuss this later this month....depending how I am doing with the weight. My metabolism is shot and a possible tumor on my parathyroid is being watched with a test that is assured to be ordered in August.

I remember my Surgeon saying something about no surgeries for 2 years? I will ask when I see him at my appointment in September if a tumor is discovered.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #14  

I'm not sure what medication they want to put me on. It was a new doctor, my other doc transferred, but I like him better so it works out. He first wanted to check my current stats and then see him in seven weeks. My insurance may be changing so he didn't want to prescribe something and then have it rejected by the new carrier.

I'm going to try and get my diet under control and see what he says in seven weeks. I've had additional bad news, health wise, and I honestly thought about just calling him and telling him to give me a script. I'd pay it out of pocket. Maybe I'm being a little too optimistic in thinking a diabetic medication would be cheaper than a diet pill.

We will see. I'm thinking about taking the Halloween challenge...anyone else game????
Old 08-22-2014, 12:56 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 85/83/60 kgs

Height: 5'5"

Lost 50 pounds in 2011-12, and have gained back 35 pounds in 2014. Have not exercised much due to a mini-stroke.

Last edited by nishita; 08-22-2014 at 12:56 AM.
nishita is offline   Reply With Quote