Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #1  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Default Arm pit fat

I have the dreaded arm pit fat. I've had it since I can remember and I have ALWAYS hated it. I am super self conscious of tank tops or anything that shows off this unsightly issue.

Judging by the legions of youtube videos dedicated to arm pit fat, I'm not alone. I read recently that arm pit fat is the #1 photoshopped area on the female body.

So, does anyone have any tips for this? I know you can have surgical removal but there is so much danger in this area for developing lymphedema that it doesn't seem worth that risk for a cosmetic issue no matter how much I hate it and am embarrassed by it. Has anyone successfully gotten rid of their pit fat via non-surgical methods? I truly hate this issue.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm not sure what you mean by arm pit fat, but lifting weights to build the muscles in your arms and shoulders will give them a nice shape and could change the appearance of the fat, since the muscle under it will change shape.

You might also be wearing the wrong size bra, which can cause breast tissue to spill over the side of the bra.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I'm not really sure what that means either, but I agree with weight training. You probably won't get rid of the fat but building muscle should make it appear better. But since I'm not quite sure what you mean, I have no idea what kind of exercises one would do for that.

Last edited by nonameslob; 07-25-2014 at 02:27 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #4  
Aloha nui loa

I thought the term arm pit fat was pretty self explanatory. Fat in the arm pit, haha!

Pics
http://fittipdaily.com/get-rid-of-your-armpit-fat-6662/

https://www.google.com/search?q=arm+...w=1252&bih=578

Last edited by MauiKai; 07-26-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Oh and look, plastic surgery can take care of that - some of those people were stick thin, by the way. Maybe a better fitting bra would take care of the issue. Is this a sign we are all too self-obsessed? I had never heard of this phenomenon before
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Half of those people were simply wearing the wrong size clothing.

But you really can't go wrong with weight training. Good luck!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #7  
Aloha nui loa

Hmm, one of my posts disappeared for some reason, but I said previously it has nothing to do with clothing or bras. It's there even when you're naked. It's not like it's bra muffin top or something.

Last edited by MauiKai; 07-26-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

Some of the pics were bra muffin top.

Well muscled shoulders and even chest will help, as will lowering body fat percentage and being choosy about clothing.

As for what remains, I guess it just depends on what your body's quirks are and what bugs you. I have a soft neckline and chin chub that I am WAY more worried about - it doesn't go away with a 20lb loss like my love handles do! But I'm betting most women could cut way down on it with upper body weight training and just dropping that body fat.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Bra muffin top makes me laugh for some reason. Some of the offenders were walking the red carpet at the Academy Awards, I see.
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #10  
Aloha nui loa

Oh bra muffin top CAN and does happen, but that is not what I am dealing with. I'm dealing with standard arm pit fat here!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #11  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I saw these exercises in the google search page that you posted! Not vouching for *how* these are done but it seems like they are reasonable ideas.

I have the armpit roll too! are you SURE you are wearing the right bra size? I have been doing research since reading about the epidemic of incorrect bra sizing here on 3fc (there was a member who had an entire website devoted to the topic). My story is that I was wearing a 34C. I got sized at two different high-end department stores, and I am actually a 32DDD = 32F or even a 30G! It was shocking to me as I am not very "busty" at all, in fact I am very much pear-shaped. Anyway, once I got into the right sized bra - AND the right cut in which the band comes up the right amount under the arms - it minimized the armpit roll phenomenon dramatically as it pulls in some of that tissue from the armpit area. Even if you are sure your problem isn't caused by incorrect bra sizing, a different bra style can minimize and/or contain the roll.

Also I have some Spanx-type tank tops that come over the bra band and smooth everything out, even under sleeveless shirts, so that could also help to minimize. I know - that doesn't address the problem of elimination though!

I am hoping with body fat loss and toning my/our problem will go away?
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #12  
Aloha nui loa

I'm sure, I've tried just about every bra size and type under the sun trying to hide the problem but alas, nothing worked. As I said, even naked I have the arm pit flab. I don't get back boobs or anything from my bra, it's just from the front only I have that fat that is so common yet soooo stubborn right there in the crease of your arm pit. Sigh! Maybe someday I'll be thin/buff enough it won't be there.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Most of those pictures of arm pit fat, to my perspective anyway, were not something you'd ever notice unless it was pointed out.

We all have something that is the focal point of our fat hate. Me, it's my apron belly. Unfortunately for both of us, I don't think area specific exercises are going to make it go away. All you can do is lose as much fat as is safe to lose, then hope for the best. Your body will lose it where it chooses to.

BTW, the fact that this area is so often photoshopped tells you something about how normal it is to have a little fat there. If a supermodel who lives off a daily diet of cocaine and cotton balls soaked in OJ and who works out 4 hours a day can't get rid of that little pocket of fat, what is the likelihood that the problem is not with the person but the perception?

Last edited by Streudel; 07-27-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote