Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 276.4/215/160

Height: 5'6

Default Protein shake

I've bought three different ones and have gagged anyone know of one that tastes good????
jenjenangel027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I use one called "Plant Fusion" which is pea protein rather than whey or cassein because I'm allergic to dairy. I find it to be palatable. They have plain, vanilla, chocolate, and raspberry chocolate, I think.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/294/160

Height: 170 cm

A friend of mine uses Muscle Milk - they have sooo many different flavours. I've tasted a few and they were pretty yummy (banana creme and strawberry cheesecake are ones I remember specifically). She said they are fairly low in sugars, but I haven't done much research on them myself. Taste-wise, they were the best I've tried!
Bardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 357/see ticker/235

Height: 5' 10"

Premier Protein is my favorite and I get it at Sams Club. 160 calories 30 protein and only 2 carbs. Tastes like a nice thick shake to me.
Sally Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/154

Height: 5'7"

I use Gold Standard Whey Protein daily. I don't care for the Vanilla flavor. The Double Rich Chocolate is okay, but I really like the Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Graham Cracker (blended with a banana) and the Mocha Cappuccino flavors. Haven't tried any others but the Chocolate Toffee Fudge and Rocky Road flavors are next on my list to give a go.

Atkins shakes are what I grab in a pinch - they have a sweeter taste than the powders. I'm partial to the ones with the coffee flavors, but the vanilla and strawberry are pretty tasty too in my opinion.

Hope you find one you like
LesMillsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I would suggest reading this. It gives a good explanation of so-called "healthy" protein shakes.
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...rotein-shakes/

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/192/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I would suggest reading this. It gives a good explanation of so-called "healthy" protein shakes.

I can't get the link to work
lorib64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/192/145

I buy protein powder and blend with almond milk, ice and fruit. It isn't a meal replacement.
lorib64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I eat real food.

But when I am in a real pinch, I use Isoflex.

Last edited by IanG; 09-26-2014 at 10:16 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorib64 View Post
I can't get the link to work
Sorry about that. This should work

http://foodbabe.com/2012/12/13/is-yo...in-shake-safe/

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #11  

BiPro is unflavored

http://www.biprousa.com/
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #12  

Total lean chocolate taste like a chocolate milkshake 200 calories.
classykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I am like Ian. A shake doesn't feel like I've eaten. I tend to want a burger with it. LOL
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 1/1/18/ 202/169/126

Height: 5'3 3/4"

I used whey and soy protein powders for years and years. They raised my blood sugar, especially the whey powders and I became insulin resistant. After continuing to gain 76 lbs while using powders, my doctor told me they were actually raising my blood sugar. I tested my numbers. I stopped making smoothies which can be loaded with fruit sugars from an abundance of fruit and quit using all protein powders. My suggestion is as mentioned above, eat real food. Protein powders are manufactured in a lab. Isolated protein powders are not recognized by the body as an authentic food source.

My doctor told me that with all significant weight loss, most all it is regained within one year's time.....especially if you are drinking your meals. He told me that recent research indicates that within 3 years, most have rebounded with all weight regained with "friends".

My experimentation with protein powders resulted in a steady weight gain. I threw them out and started eating 3 meals a day...no snacks.
It is working. It's doubtful I'll ever use them again. I started drinking the first canned version (SF) after high school. I'd been drinking liquid protein for as long as I can remember. I began drinking C Instant Breakfast in grade school through high school. Then I kicked it up a notch and started in with the SF cans. Oy Vey.

Last edited by Mossy; 11-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Mossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:26 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Most of the people I trust to give me good advice about how to change my body are people who change their own bodies a lot or analyze other people's bodies a lot, like my old trainer (who did bodybuilding competitions), and the guy who does my DXA scans.

My old trainer's advice to me when working out regularly, was to have a scoop of straight protein powder every morning mixed only with water, and to do the same thing just after a workout. All you do is throw it back, not sip at it or mix it with fruit or anything like that. The idea in the morning is to get your metabolism in motion for the day. The idea after a workout is to get protein into your system to help your muscles do the building up they're trying to do. Apparently there's a pretty narrow gap of 20 minutes after working out, so I would bring my protein powder in a shaker container to the gym, and just fill it from the water fountain, shake it, and throw it back after a workout.

As for my DXA scan guy? His advice is to make sure I'm getting enough protein overall in a day to keep my lean mass from decreasing as I lose weight. I'm not working out right now, so it's nothing to do with building more muscle or anything like that.

It looks like Mossy had bad experiences with protein powders, which I can't really identify with. What I can say is that flavoured smoothies and sugared products probably can contribute to weight gain (although I wouldn't think straight whey protein or soy protein would be likely to, depending what you mix it with).

I've switched to a more whole-foods approach to eating, so isolated proteins aren't really on the menu for me anymore. But I don't think my body's ever reacted badly to them. Actually I think when I was downing protein in the morning I felt pretty good earlier in the day than when I wasn't.

I know I haven't really answered the original question... just responding to the comments here I guess.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote