Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #86

Good morning gals. It is going to be a hot one today it feels like. You walk out and start sweating just from the humidity.

We are now officially under 8 weeks until vacation. I found a broomstick skirt and sleeveless sweater in my closet yesterday and ordered a knit shrug to go with it for dinner one night on the cruise. I also found an aqua pantset shoved in the back that fit so I am taking it too. I have a lot of clothes that are still a bit snug, so will probably be too big for the next cruise, but that's ok by me.

I am going to try and tackle at least some of the downstairs today, but the pharmacy doctor is going to call about my glucose numbers for the last week to see if she wants to change my meds. I doubt it as my numbers are good and I am losing weight now. I don't want to be cleaning the bathroom or mopping or vacuuming and not get to the phone in time so I am probably going to do the vacuuming when I get done here to get it done and then do other stuff after she calls.

We have county voting in a 3 weeks. We will vote, but in this town our vote doesn't count for much as they only vote democratic and black candidates. Ahh well it is our duty to vote so we can then gripe about it.

Jean: You sound like you are running the show now at the gift shop. You are becoming a regular ole accountant. Too bad it doesn't come with a fat paycheck. I talked to my best friend yesterday and they are struggling so badly. No one will hire her full time and her husband is disabled, or at least he says he is, and they keep getting more and more behind. She can't find a second part time job and the one she is in only pays her $7 an hour for 20 hours a week. She is way too young to draw social security and he started drawing his early because of his back problem. She told me they come up about $150 short a month to make it. I just keep praying something will break for her and she can find a permanent job or a second one. She works for Marshalls right now. She has skills but there are no jobs in her field of work.

Maggie: Did the doctor say anything about having to wear an ostomy to let the colon heal? That's what they did with me. Hope all things come out fine.

You gals have a nice Tuesday. We are having chicken and amish noodles tonight for dinner so I have my chicken going in the crockpot already. faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JULY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Will is getting his PET scan now and when he gets through with that then his next appointment for that will be his surgery on the 8th of August. His dentist has moved his tooth surgery up to tomorrow from the 31st which is another phase of putting that permanent post type tooth to anchor his partial on. After he gets the rest of that post in then he will go to his regular dentist to have the crown put on. That has been a long process for sure.

DONNA FAYE Nope ~ no bag for Will for they are going to staple it all together and close the slits up they have made. He will have to be very careful for several days as it heals so as not to pop the staples. They say they won’t let him out of the hospital until he has a bowel movement which indicates all is working properly.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 07-22-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! It's another warm, 82 degree, very humid day in my neighborhood. I just got home from the luncheon. The committee chose a different party room which was at the other end of the building and had just a small parking area. We were early enough to park close which was good since one of the gals has two artificial knees and can't walk very far. They were not nearly as organized as last year so it seemed to drag out much too long. The program was by Accessorize Me which is big jewelry, scarves, purses, hats, and stuff you find in catalogs. We thought the stuff high priced and didn't see a thing we couldn't live without. The meal was a lettuce salad, vegetarian lasagna, baguettes, and carrot cake. The lady sitting next to me choked on a piece of lettuce and scared us to death. She managed to cough hard enough to get it down but she was scared too. I didn't realize she was in trouble but the gal on the other side of her did, and got up to help her. There was a nurse at another table who came over too. It's too late to start any projects now. Bob is working on his tractor so may finish that before he comes home.

"Gma," thank you for starting the new thread. It's fun to go shopping in the closet and find clothes that fit once again. I am really dreading the next election as well as the one in two years. I wish there was a "none of the above" choice on the ballot. When I pick up the gift shop money, there is always a group of coffee drinkers who put two tables together right in front of the card rack. If I can see some spaces need to be refilled I go back in the afternoon and do that. It's good I live close!

Maggie, I sure hope the PET scan will show every place else is clear in Will. When my dad had his 12 years ago Medicare didn't pay for them. I had to talk long and hard to get him to do it, but he finally did. Will Will be all done with his tooth, except for the crown? That has been a long process for sure.

Guess I will check the mail and see if there is anything interesting besides the usual junk. Hope you all have had a good day and enjoy your evening.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. It never cooled off much last night so it is starting the day hot and sticky already. I turned the ac off, but it only stayed off a couple hours as the house got hot so I turned it back on again.

I sat around all day waiting for that stupid doctor to call and she never did. I didn't do any housework as I didn't want the vacuum noise to keep me from hearing the phone and didn't want to be too far away from it so I could get to it before it rolled over to voicemail. I am really irked about this and frankly since my glucose numbers are way under what they are supposed to be she can call and leave a message and I will get back to her when I feel like it or if I answer the phone I am going to let her know it is not okay to leave people hanging. If she couldn't call she could have had someone else call and let me know she was tied up and reschedule. I didn't like her to begin with and this doesn't make her like me any more.

I bought a couple things from Publishers Clearing House of all places and they came yesterday. I bought this hanging bright light to put in the closet in Jack's office where my clothes are as there is no light in this closet. It will do a great job I think. They I saw they had these clear canisters and I bought 4 of them to eventually put my sugar, flour, etc in. I figured they would be easy to clean. I am waiting for them to ship those hats and I ordered a shrug sweater to wear with the broomstick skirt and they shipped it but it is coming from Britain so will take awhile. Then I should be caught up for the moment shopping. My nail polish came the other day.

Maggie: Glad they have things sorted out with Will and hope they can get it all when they get in there.

Jean: How scary for that lady. I choked on something last night and here I am coughing and coughing and Jack asks me if I am choking. Well duh! I was eating a piece of soft pretzel and I went to take a drink of diet soda and swallowed the piece before it was chewed up and it caught for a couple seconds. Hope you can get your card rack all full and ready to go.

Well girls you all have a nice middle of the week. I am going to knit for awhile they make myself some breakfast. Faye
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #5  

Good Morning! It's a beautiful morning in my corner of the world -- cooler, low humidity, no wind, and sunny. This is my morning to work in the gift shop, and I also have a board meeting so will be on the move. Not sure about the afternoon as Bob mentioned going up to the cabin. I really should stay home and work on pitching. The church rummage sale is getting closer and I'm not getting as much done as I had hoped. I also volunteered to make something for the hospital bake sale on the 31st. I was asked in a weak moment so said I would.

"Gma," I hate waiting for phone calls to be returned and repairmen to show up. I know they are busy and have schedules but still; I hope you hear from you doctor today. Hope all of your goodies that you ordered arrive in great shape. I have choked on pickle juice or vinegar dressing. It just takes my breath away and I cough, but even though nothing is caught it is embarrassing. My thumbs have been achy so have put the afghan aside for awhile. Can't say they are sore from over use cleaning, must be the weather!

It's time to round up my magazines and head for the hospital. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all. It is nice and cool this morning after a hard rain last night. It is sunny right now, but they are calling for more rain today. I sure hope not. We have had a lot of rain this summer.

I have a hair appointment for a cut and color today so that shoots the morning all to heck as it takes 3 hours. I then have to run by the store, probably WM and pick up a few things, drop them off then get gas and go get Jack. Going to be a full day for me.

I got a call around 5 PM from the pharmacy resident and I told her I was not happy no one called me on the day they were supposed to. I told her I sat all day Tuesday and Wednesday waiting for a call. She apologized, but I didn't say anything back to her except did she want my glucose numbers for the week. She said they looked great so they aren't increasing my metformin, which I am thrilled about. I am now on just one pill a day for the diabetes. I can also stop having to take my blood sugar more than once a day and don't have to go back until January, which is ok with me. I do have to go in on Wednesday and have another uterine biopsy done so I will load up on Advil before I go to help with the pain as boy oh boy do you have cramps afterwards and mine lasted 3 days before they went away.

I am having peanut butter toast on whole wheat and a banana for breakfast this morning. I am fixing a ham steak and hash browns with green beans for dinner tonight so it doesn't take too long. Tomorrow I am going to finally get the downstairs cleaned since I don't have to worry about phone calls.

Jean: Hope your achy thumbs are feeling better. When mine flare up it is right in that joint area and man does it every ache when that happens. I worked some on T's first sock and when I get it done I am going to have Jack try it on because it looks huge. It will be too long for Jack but I am more concerned about the ankle being baggy and if so will rip out the whole thing and redo it. I don't envy you the pitching. Next year I have to start that job and hauling stuff to goodwill and getting rid of it. I got my clear plastic canisters and they are going to work just fine to put flour and such in. I kind of wish I had order a couple more sets though I am not sure how sturdy these things are going to be. I know I am ready to get rid of this stuff for good and paint and get going on the house.

You all have a great day. I am going to finish my toast and get things going to go to my hair apt in awhile. Faye
Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #7  

Good Morning! It's another cool sunny morning in my corner of the world. We got up to an unhappy raccoon in the live trap! Bob's been trying to catch him/her for a week! Bob would just put a pile of cat food in the trap, and the coon would shove it over and eat the food. Last night Bob put the food in a plastic dish so the coon had to go in the trap. He/she demolished the inside door so we will be buying a new trap! Bob took it to the country, by a stream, where he's taken all the possums. Lots of corn fields so he will be happy there. I think I am home for the day unless I decide to go have a pedicure. I should go to the grocery store but need to make a list first.

"Gma," sounds like you have a busy day planned! It all sounds good except the WM visit. I'm glad you finally got the pharmacy call you were waiting for. It's wonderful news for you! I took "generic for arthritis" yesterday and it did help my thumbs. I remember my mom having the same thing when she was sewing doll clothes for Beth. I hope you don't have to rip the socks out and redo them.

I hear the crop dusting plane buzzing around. I hate it when he flies over our house to turn around because he flies so low. I need to get dressed and get my day going. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday ~ Nice & Sunny

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JULY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I just got back from having lunch with the museum crowd at the Q. They meet there every Thursday to have lunch and it is always a fun place to be yacking it up. They always request that Will bring me so I go sometimes.

I will be home alone at dinner time for I have opted to not go to the dinner meeting the museum folks are having with a guest speaker who dresses up like Abe Lincoln and looks just like him and knows his history.

Not much going on here this day for me and so I am just putzing this afternoon and getting things ready to put them in the MH when we bring it over here from the place that stores it for us. We have some of the things that we want out there sitting in the front room now. I am going to take some more things out there that are in my office closet that I have in nice plastic bins.

JEAN How nice of Bob to take Peter Possum out to the country where he will be happier than living in the city.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you, I hope you like the cut and color job you are getting. I have let my hair grow out from being colored and it actually looks thicker now. I still wear it way short though. It is good that you can now readjust the amount of your meds you were taking.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. I am sitting here figuring out how to pay my bills for the budget of September 26th because we don't get back into Florida until the 29th. Most of them I can pay online so can just pay to use their computer on the ship and pay them but two of them have to be mailed and I send them certified each time because I don't trust them. So, I was figuring out where I can go ahead and pay them and send them off so guess it will be in Chattanooga when we get there. Both the Lake City post office on Friday and the Fort Lauderdale post office on Saturday are only open until noon and we won't get there before then. My budget is pretty strict so I can't pay them earlier than that, but I did figure out what do so I am all clear. I will just pay them out of my vacation money and then take that money back for the trip home out of the budget for the 26th. Geez!

Got my hair done and it looks great. She put a brighter red on and then put on a toner to make it really shiny. She razor cut my hair, which I really like and it all came out super. I got done right at noon and one of the main drags through Memphis which runs east and west I have to take to go back towards home and to WM and it is narrow and very busy all the time and at lunch time it is nuts. All these people trying to get to restaurants for lunch and get back to work in time. I drove from one end straight through to the other and prayed I wouldn't get creamed by someone in a hurry. Did my WM shopping, which I hate and went by Wendy's and got a chili and went home and put groceries away and hurriedly ate my lunch and then picked up and went back out to pick up Jack from work. It was a busy day.

Jean: I came home last week from getting my nails done and a toad or frog was on the deck and jumped and scared me half to death. I have no phobias except rodents it was just the jumping as it blended in to foliage and stuff. We don't have to deal with raccoons, possums etc in the city, but when you go out where Jack works you do. They have a state park out there and you have to deal with those and coyotes, deer especially and turtles in the spring. They even have a turtle watch because they come up on the highway and get smooshed in the spring when they are going to lay their eggs or the little ones have been born. Funny to be in the city and have country animals though. Did you decide what you are going to make for the bake sale? When Jay was born we lived in the landing path of the Naval station and jets would fly over our little duplex so low you thought if you stood on the roof you could touch them. Since he was born while we lived there, he learned to sleep through the noise and so nothing ever bothered him. If parents would not coddle their new babies and subject them to noise when they bring them home babies would adjust to the noise as something in their lives. I watched this diy show where the parents were buying a new home and their current home had the baby's room next to the kitchen. They couldn't even go into the kitchen and get a glass of water because it disturbed their son and he would start crying. I mean how stupid is that? You could lose weight that way though!

Maggie: Hope Will enjoyed the talk last night and you weren't lonely while he was gone.

Have a great weekend. I have to take my Ipad in tomorrow and Sunday is walk in the mall day. Faye
Old 07-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #10  

Good Morning! It's windy, cool, and cloudy in my neighborhood this morning. We are supposed to hit 90 this afternoon and rain tonight into tomorrow. I think the weatherman is dreaming. More of the same planned for today -- nothing newsy nor exciting on my agenda.

Maggie, sometimes the putzing kind of day is the best kind. I know you are anxious to get things moved into the motor home. Our grocery store is showing "back to school" small appliances. I need one like I need another cat, but there is a 1 qt., bright red, crock pot calling my name. It has the low, medium, high, control which I could use for dips, etc.

"Gma," before we left for Maui, I paid a couple of credit card bills by calling the customer service #, and having them debit our checking account. I hate trying to second guess the USPS these days. I can never find a mail box when I most need one. Glad you like your new hairdo. Bob's sister posted a note on their front door when their baby was sleeping. Jason never slept longer that a few minutes at a time so I never worried about noise. He slept wherever he finally would give up and catnap. I never thought about the airport noise but we lived near the airport in Ohio. Planes were still pretty high because of the high rise apartment buildings near us.

I need to get busy and accomplish something before the morning slips away. May you all enjoy a nice day, and do something nice for yourselves!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #11  

Good Morning! It's a cloudy, humid morning in my neighborhood today. The sun is peaking through the clouds and there is no hint of any air moving through the trees. We are heading to the cabin for the day. Jason and family will be there too. Beth's family has a birthday celebration in Will's family so can't come. Tomorrow is church and Bob says he is going to mow.

I hope the sun is shining wherever you are, and you enjoy a nice day!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. Looks like a sunny day outside. I am under the weather today as the female stuff is acting up pretty much. Not a lot I can do either as most of the time medication doesn't help with pain much. I just have to deal with it.

Nothing going on here today. I canceled my Apple apt as I didn't feel well enough to go today. I am just going to stay home and stay indoors pretty much.

My dil's sister is expecting her first baby and it is kind of exciting as they have been trying for a long time, so long in fact they were looking into adoption. She is having a boy so I found a cute blanket to make that has sail boats on it and then I am making a hat and pair of baby socks to go with it. I bought a baby blue yarn and a bright white yarn. I am going to do the blanket border in white and the blanket in blue and the hat and socks are blue and white striped. Hopefully I can get the yarn next week and get started on it as my dil just told me yesterday and her baby is due in November.

Jean: Have fun at the cabin today. Hope the weather is nice and warm and dry for you all.

You all have a nice weekend. Faye
Old 07-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #13  

Good morning gals. I still feel crummy but I need to get out and walk so we are going to go to the mall later. I just hope it doesn't mess with my glucose too much. I am going to eat some peanut butter crackers on the way over there to help with that.

I gave up trying to do anything yesterday and probably won't get anything done today except dinner tonight. I feel really rough and it is a lot harder on a 60 year old than someone 30 or 40. I guess that's why God made it so we couldn't have babies. I have to tell you it is no fun at my age to deal with this when it gets bad. Nothing much I can do except weather the storm. At least my husband is supportive.

It looks like it is overcast here today so I wonder if they are expecting rain again.

You all have a nice Sunday. Faye
Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! It's a windy cool afternoon here. The sun can't decide whether to hide or stay out. Went to church this morning and all the lights were on, so guess we will be going back. At least will be there in September when we go back to two services. Have laundry going and the paper read. Talk about a lazy day!

"Gma," I hope you feel better soon! It will be fun to knit the baby things for a change of pace. I hope you will post the pictures when you finish. It was a beautiful day at the lake yesterday. It was cloudy when we got there, and rained for about a half hour. The sun came out and there was just enough breeze to keep the cabin cool. Amanda's mom came with Amanda's two year old nephew so it was nice to see them. There are ducks that come begging because the summer renters down the line feed them. The kids get a kick out of them as they are pretty tame and come close thinking they will be fed.

The dryer is buzzing so time for the next load. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. Gosh it is warm already this morning. I turned the ac off around 2 am or so and it is ok right now, but it won't be long and I will have to crank it back on again.

I am feeling some better but still achy in a lot of places. It is what it does. I think the reason I cramp so badly is that hormones are telling my uterus to expel something that is no longer there as the spotting and stuff has stopped again pretty much. I just go on about my business as best I can what more can I do? I am not going back on any hormones ever again!

I have decided to wait to do the biopsy when I get back from vacation. It isn't something that has be to done at any certain time and there is no emergency about it or even indications of problems just a "let's be sure" kind of thing so I am going to wait until I get back. I will cancel the appointment this morning then.

This morning is weigh day and I was down 1.5 lbs so that is ok with me. Considering how hard it is every time the female stuff starts up I am ok with that for sure. Jack is now down 31 lbs. The man is amazing. Of course he keeps from cheating by taking no cash money to work so he can't buy stuff from vending, only has a bowl of cereal every morning for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch then dinner and a snack in the evening. This is the guy who quit smoking cold turkey too 22 years ago and never looked back.

I made this low carb pancake recipe this morning. I was really skeptical about it, but it is very good. It does come out more like a crepe though as the batter is really thin, but they taste great. Susan, here is the recipe in case you want to try it.

¯`*•.¸¸✿ Low Carb Cream Cheese Pancakes ✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿
Ingredients
2 oz Cream Cheese
2 eggs
1 packet Stevia or any sweetener
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Put all ingredients in blender. Blend till smooth. Let sit for the bubbles to calm. Heat and Grease pan. This recipe will make 4 pancakes. Pour 1/4 of the mixture in pan. Cook for 2 minutes until golden, flip and cook for 1 more minute. Serve with sugar free syrup and fresh berries.
Serving Size 4 pancakes
2.5 carbs per serving

Jean: I can't wait to get the baby yarn and make baby stuff. I love making baby stuff, but don't have anyone anymore. I imagine Thomas would object to me making him man sized booties! Glad it was a nice cool day at the cabin. I wouldn't mind the heat so much but the humidity here is so high all the time you walk outside and you are automatically sweating and when the heat is high it is hard to breathe even.

Everyone have a great week this week. I hope to get two hats, a shrug type sweater, my medications and yarn this week so guess I will have to leave the gate unlocked all week. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 07-28-2014 at 08:47 AM.