Old 01-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #1  

Default LCFS Week of January 25, 2004

Good Morning Ladies:

Lynn that was quite a story. Thank God you have been ok. Yes, I too
believe in a master plan

Weather is freezing today ladies, but much better than yesterday. I was
good when I did my shopping and skipped the nut section. As healthy as
these little gems are, I just can't control my quantities

I have a four day week this week so I will be off this Friday to go to a meeting at Sean's school. My DH and I will go to lunch afterwards so I am
really looking forward to that!!!

I love Sundays but it never fails. It is the one day in the week were I suffer
from insomnia. I wonder if it has something to do with the thought of !!!

Talk to you all later.
Anne.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:49 AM   #2  

Angry

Good morning ladies,

It was 10 below this morning but it's warmed up to 4 below.

There were some great articles in today's Sunday paper about the low carb craze. One of the articles had to do with the restaurant chains offering a low carb menu. Another article had to do with the low carb stores sprouting up along with all the low carb products in the supermarkets. In one of the supermarkets in one of our large cities is having a registered dietitian offer a class called CarbWise. She'll give a discussion of carbs in your diet, then take you throughout the supermarket and show you what healthy carbs to eat and what carbs not to eat. I'm almost tempted to go, it's free, but it's a 1 hr. drive from my house, the class is 1 1/2 hr., then another hour for the drive home. I'll have to think about it. Another of the articles was about a B & B fixing Atkins type meals.

ANNE, I think your insomnia is due to facing on Mondays. It's stress. I've had plent of 's for a boss and I would be the same way, and on Mon. mornings my stomach would be all churned up. Have you looked over your points yet?

nikki & lynn, hope you had a good day yesterday.

Enjoy your Sunday.
Aleka
Old 01-25-2004, 11:30 AM   #3  

Good morning,
I had a sleepless night too Anne. I have no 's in my life, except for Stripe the cat. :grin: Why I can't sleep sometimes, I don't know, it could be menopause, but I've been an insomniac all my life. That's why I use to work nights, I figured I was awake anyway, why not make some money. I'm sure yours is situational, like you said. I know that the harder I try to sleep, the less I'm able to. Finally, when it's morning, I drift off and then wham! Stripe is on me and making his little sounds that I've never heard another cat make before. I swear, the cats from ****. He bites my hair and slaps my face till I get up, usually screaming "STRIPE" at the top of my lungs. I think he really gets a kick out of that.

Aleka, I've read more stories lately too about low carb eating. I read where the restaurants that serve low carb food aren't as accurate with the carb numbers as you might think. When they tested the low carb selections, they all had more carbs than was claimed. They didn't subtract the fiber and sugar alcohols though. I think that with all this stuff and the low carb food in the stores, it's just better to use them occasionally and to stick with natural food. But, boy am I looking forward to the new Heinz ketchup that is coming this spring with 1 g of carbs per serving. That's even better than Atkins ketchup.
I found it funny when I went to Hardee's and got their low carb burger, they wanted to know if I wanted to make it a meal. I thought they were going to say, a meal was a salad and iced tea, but of course, it was french fries and a drink. Subway did the same thing and offered me cookies or chips. Kind of defeats the purpose, I thought.

Well, I'm doing really good with the low carb this time. DH still doesn't understand how I can eat eggs and bacon. He says that's no diet. I told him it's a life style and try to explain it to him, but he just doesn't listen. He also has to have the bread with breakfast and milk. Aleka, what brand of low carb bread did you say tastes good? If I can't get him to stop eating it, at least maybe I can get him to eat low carb bread.

Lynn, I hope your having a good day and staying warm. Sounds like everyone is getting a double dose of winter now. We're pretty cold too, but nothing like you guys.

Take care, Nikki
Old 01-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #4  

Thumbs down

nikki, the low carb bread I have found is Arnold, 6 g. net carbs and Country Kitchen, 4 g. net carbs, I don't know if they are nation wide or if you can only find them in New England. Arnold makes whole wheat and I believe multi grain. The whole wheat is better because it's made with whole wheat flour, the multi grain isn't. The Arnold bread is the same size as real bread and though the texture is tough, it's not as tough as Country Kitchen, which is a smaller size. Neither one of them toasts like regular bread, but the Arnold toasts better than Country Kitchen. Country Kitchen gets hard as a rock. DH prefers the Arnold, so do I, but I eat the Country Kitchen because each slice has only 40 cal. w/8 gm. fiber and it's low in WW points. If you don't have these brands in your area, I'm sure you'll be able to find some low carb bread. In the supermarket that I go to, I've found Atkins bread, which is frozen. I haven't tried the Atkins bread, but I did try the bagels and they were very good. Hope this helps you. I too have to have some toast with my eggs otherwise I feel With the low carb bread I don't feel so bad having it. I have found that I do much better with a mix of carbs and protein rather than just protein.

Aleka
Old 01-25-2004, 02:49 PM   #5  

Aleka, thanks for the info. I've not seen either of those brands or even Atkins here yet. We still don't have splenda sweetened pickles (Mt. Olive brand) yet either and they are pretty popular in other places.
I decided I'll have to go on line to order. I've tried the Atkins mix's that you make in your oven and they were , not the muffins, the bread. I found this place http://www.lifestylebread.com/ from another site and thought I'd order from them. The bread is suppose to taste good and is 3.97 a loaf and 4 net carbs a slice. You have to buy at least 6 loaves and it's sent fresh. Then you freeze it or put it in the fridge.
I'll let you know how it is when I get it. 6 loaves would last us at least a couple of months.
I also saw that Slim fast now has low carb bars. I didn't see them in our Walmart yet. I like the new Slim Fast bars, they are too good though. I can eat the whole box in one sitting, just like regular candy bars. Think I'll try the new Smart Ones frozen meals that are low carb a few times, just to check them out. After my next surgery, I'll need a few quick easy meals that DH can just pop in the microwave.
Oh yeah, I heard Sara Lee has come out with a low carb bread that is fresh, but they make it with white flour
Later, Nikki
Old 01-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #6  

Hi Everyone: This is the 2x I have started a post. The first time I was typing away I heard a bell sound and I was put back to the forum page. Does anybody know what would cause that? It happened last sunday too. Could it be that a lot ofpeople are on on Sundays? I watched a movie at 4am. It was Sandra Bullock in The Net, I quite enjoyed it. At 6 I was just going though the channels (whats with all the informals at that time) Maybe there are a lot of us out there that don't sleep at night. Anyway I stopped on a computer show.and I really enjoyed it. I am self taught on the computer, a lot of trial and error (a lot of error). My kids are to fast for me so gave up asking them anything a long time ago. After the show went on computer to practice what I had learned. When I get my new lap top in July with Window XP I am going to take a coarse. It won't be a new lap top, my brother's company leases him one and when the lease is up I give him the money to buy it. Very cheap way to get a computer. Has anyone been on a site www.fitday.com? I came across it this morning and bookmarked to to go back and explore later. I read your posts with the products with interest. You girls are so lucky to have a variety of products. I can't even order off the net, buy the time you figure in the exchange rate and shipping and maybe even customs it is to expensive. Maybe when the weather gets better I will have to shuffle off to Buffalo. Anne do you know of any lines of low carb products here? Well I have almost decided to go Atkins except for one thing, Our diet pops use aspartane and Atkins says not to. I love pop and could never go 2 weeks without it. Does anybody think it would make a big differance? Well I guess I should get the roast in the oven. Talk to you later, Anne have a good tomorrow. Maybe she is going to quit.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #7  

Lynn, I don't know if you've checked out this site, it's a Canadian place that sells low carb food over the internet
http://www.lowcarbfooddepot.com/gc/g...04869667918856
I'm not sure why your losing your posts, maybe you could email Suzanne from 3FC's and ask. She should be able to answer your question.
I'm also self taught on the old pc. It has been alot of error for me too. I just learned how to use Word, sort of. That's great that your getting a lap top. I wish I had gotten one instead of this huge monster. I would love to be able to go camping with my computer. But then, I'd just sit in the camper all day, instead of being outside.
The only pop that I've found here that is ok is Diet Rite. It's made with splenda. It comes in a variety of flavors, but it is not available everywhere. There are other brands, but I don't remember what they are.
You can buy liquid Splenda in Canada and I highly recommend that. I bought some over the net and love it. It would be very useful making lemonade or other drinks. Powdered splenda leaves a funny after taste in some things, but it isn't too strong, so if the dish or whatever your adding it to has enough flavor, you can't tell.
Aspartemine effects some peoples weight loss and doesn't effect others. You would have to see what it does to you personally. At least think about cutting back on it some, if you drink a lot of it and see if that makes any difference in your weight loss. It seems to stall some people. You would think so, because there are no calories, but it does.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #8  

Thanks Nikki I went to the site and bookmarked it to go back to. I wonder if I go to a grocery store with names of products if they would bring them in? Worth a try. My computer goes to the trailer with me. Because we are in the boonies at the trailer I have to use dial up but that is better than nothing. I drink a lot of pop. I just checked the chrystal light and it uses aspertane also. I am developing a taste for no caffeine Earl Grey tea with lemon maybe that will help. Wednesday we are going to city will check out low carb in the grocery store. Also will check Wallmart I never think to check food in there. When on Suzanne you only shop the perimeter of a grocery store. I might be surprised what I may find. I will take a list of products from that sight with me. Do you camp alot? Do you fish? Our trailer park is on Rice Lake and lots of americans camp and own trailers there. Last summer my DH and I spent all season at our trailer and loved it. We live on our deck and I just realized how much I miss it. Oh well sumer is just around the cornor isn't it? Yea right!! Talk to you later
Old 01-25-2004, 04:39 PM   #9  

Lynn,
We have a real old camper (1973 Avacado green on the outside, pretty yellow inside). We bought it for hardly anything and fixed it up. Now, there are people that actually buy these things, fix them up and sell them like vintage cars, go figure. We would love to buy a newer camper, but can't right now.
We camp most of the summer down by the river/lake here. There are several camping grounds and some are better than others. I love to fish, DH doesn't, so we fish sometimes. I love to cook over a fire when we're camping. Meat tastes so good that has been cooked over a fire.
I can't wait til summer either. It will be here sooner, but then we have much hotter and more humid weather than you all do. In August, its just miserable and people take fans outside at the campgrounds, just to be able to tolerate being outside.
I also garden, I can't wait to get outside and get going!
Nikki
Old 01-25-2004, 06:11 PM   #10  

Ladies,
About the Bacon Cheeseburger Pie. I made it for supper and it's one of the best low carb dishes I"ve made so far.
I put the bacon and onions in the food processor to chop them really fine.
Make sure to cover the meat layer with the egg mixture all the way to the edges. I used a larger casserole pan, because I don't have a deep dish pie pan. This made it thinner and it cooked just right like this at 40 min.
It is not too greasy and it's really yummy.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:29 PM   #11  

Angry

nikki, did I miss something? What are you having surgery for and when? I've seen a lot of low carb products out now. Our grocery store has little tags that line the shelves in front of products that have 10 grams or less of carbs. I didn't know Smart Ones have low carb frozen dinners. HMMMM, that's interesting. We get the Mt. Olive pickles sweetened with Splenda. My favorite are the gherkins (sp?) I'm glad you had the cheeseburger pie and it wasn't greasy. I made Suzanne's and it was rather greasy.

lynn, I'm self taught on the computer too. DH does a lot more stuff on the computer than I do. So, when some message pops up that I have no idea what it's for I usually scream for help. I still don't know what I'm doing half the time, but I keep plugging along. I would love to get a laptop, but they're too expensive. That's a great deal you'll be getting on one. We drink Waist-Watcher soft drinks made with Splenda. They're made in upstate NY by Adirondack Beverage. I don't know if they go into Canada or not. Your camping spot sounds very peaceful. I wish summer would start tomorrow.

Aleka
Old 01-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #12  

[B]Nikki avacado is a in color now! My trailer is old now. We have had it 10 years and it was second hand. I think it is a 87 and I love it. Anyway you are supposed to be outside during the summer as much as possible. We live on our deck. I even have a 35 foot telephone cord to plug in my computer outside. I was surprised how well we survived the season. I also garden up there. I am into perennials and love hostas! I am trying to get a variety. Loved to hear about the pie, I printed your post since my something new today was learning how to print only what I want to print. I replaced my printer last year with a canon i320 the black cartridge is cheap ($9-10) went out and got a plastic file box on wheels that takes hanging folders. and voila one big cooking book. A day doesn't go by that I don't print something. Now I am going to find your recipe for the pie and print. I wrote it out but I have simply awful hand writing. Well bye for now
Old 01-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #13  

Hi Aleka: Weight Watcher pop never seen it up here. Our neighbour at the lake is from Buffalo I will get him to get me some if it isn't here by summer. My brother put microsoft office 2000 in for me. I wanted to learn to use as a diary I still can't figure most of it out. Yes I picked up on the operation bit to Nikki, what and when.Aleka we were posting at the same time again. off to print the recipe. Later
Old 01-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #14  

Hi again,
I'm on the computer an aweful lot lately. It's mostly to avoid watching the shopping channels and to stop spending so much money.
I have my final (I hope) surgery on my ankle coming up. They will remove the screws and plates, at least the ones that aren't broken off. It will be an outpt surgery and I should be home that same day. I was surprised about that, since I think it sounds like torture. After, I"ll be wearing a boot instead of a cast. I have been thinking about it so long, I thought I posted about it already. My presurgical appointment is on Tues and then I'll find out when the surgery is.
Lynn, I'll send you a little private message about what happened. Anne and Aleka have heard about it, ad nauseum
I just got into perineals the last few years. Last year, I made a little shade garden under my pine trees and used several hostas, bleeding hearts and a few other shade plants that I don't recall now. My newest, most favorite flower to grow is the Dahlia. What a beautiful flower and it seems so hardy.
Night, Nikki
Oh, forgot, Lynn, I visit fitday.com sometimes. Lots of people love it, I never can quit figure out what to do with it. It seems easier for me to use paper and a book to work out my carb count.

Last edited by nikkic; 01-25-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:20 AM   #15  

A quick good Monday Morning ladies:

Nikki, I bet you'll be more comfortable after your surgical procedure. I am
sure it will go great

We are in the middle of a winter storm. The good Lord only knows what the
commute home will be like tonight!!!

Lynn, we have frustrating little in the way of low carb stores here as you
know. I buy a few items at GNC. I like a maple flavored syrup that they
sell. I use it on my cream cheese pancakes

Aleka, are you getting this storm too? I am currently checking out the points.
All I can say is no wonder I am stalling

Talk to you all later....Think of me slip slidding along

Anne.