Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

Default How did you gain it and how much?

How much weight did you gain from the beginning of your pregnancy to the end?

How did you gain it? How much first trimester, second, third?

What did you do for diet? Calories, carbs, brewer diet?

How often and what kind of exercise did you do?

I worked really hard the last couple of years and while I am very excited to be pregnant I am FREAKING out about weight gain and calories and exercise.

Thank you in advance.
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbysue715 View Post
I was about 160 lbs when I got pregnant with my first son, and about 240ish before delivery..I stopped weighing myself towards the end so I might have been more. I was back down to 160 lbs before getting pregnant with baby #2 and was about 220ish or so before delivery...I was down to 145 lbs before this pregnancy, BUT I had 2 miscarriages and gained after those, so I was technically about 190 lbs when I got pregnant with my recent baby and I was like 225 around delivery...the weighs in my siggy are approximates. There is so much water fluxuation right before and after, so its hard to get an exact weight until about 2-3 weeks after delivery...after all my post baby wooshes, I was 215 after my most recent baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbysue715
I lost weight with each baby during the first trimester. I am so sick that exercise is not an option, nor is eating...with my last baby I was down to about 175ish after my 1st trimester, so thats about a 15 lb weight loss. With each baby I gain slowly and as I;m supposed to during the 2nd trimester, and then extremely rapidly the last trimester.

Quote:
I am in survival mode the first trimester. I eat whatever wont come back up, mostly carbs or broth. It amazes me that some women can go through the first trimester and not be on death's door step...I'm just lucky I guess. The second trimester I tend to eat healthy but a lot...the third trimester I crave very high fat foods, a lot of meat like burgers. I can't eat as much because of heart burn but the foods I crave are less healthy. I gained the most my first pregnancy when I gave in to every craving...I tried to say no to some cravings with my other two and I gained a little less weight.

Quote:
With my first two I worked fulltime. I'm a nurse, so all day on my feet, walking, bending, moving, lifting patients...that was enough, I was exhausted. With my third I was home, I didnt exercise the 1st trimester...honestly I rarely left the couch...but I did go for walks during the last 2 trimesters.

Quote:
I worked really hard the last couple of years and while I am very excited to be pregnant I am FREAKING out about weight gain and calories and exercise.

Thank you in advance.
Good luck! If you are lucky enough not to be sick in the beginning start an exercise regiment. Also its harder to say no to craving when you are pregnant but it can be done
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

I was 155 lbs pre-pregnancy (October 2012) and 225 lbs when I delivered (August 2013), that would be a 70 lb gain.

I had no morning sickness the entire pregnancy but was ALWAYS hungry... I ate healthy and unhealthy foods, gaining probably 25 lbs the first two trimesters then the doctor gave me the talk about not gaining too much and I slowed down my gain the third trimester.

I did not diet at all, I ate according to my hunger and cravings. I wanted to enjoy my pregnancy because I have always been so focused on dieting that I decided to forget about it for a while.

I jogged into my second trimester then switched to walking. My goal was 10,000 steps a day which I met most days.

"I worked really hard the last couple of years and while I am very excited to be pregnant I am FREAKING out about weight gain and calories and exercise."

This was me! As I mentioned I did not want that stress and worry throughout my pregnancy so I stopped obsessing over it and tried to tune into my body's needs. I think it was really good for me because even now 4 months postpartum I have a much better relationship with food. I have steadily lost the weight and only have 15 more lbs to go till I'm back to 155. At times it is frustrating that some clothes still don't fit but I try to keep it in perspective and enjoy my little guy every second I can.

Congratulations to you by the way!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #4  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I can show you exactly how I've gained throughout my pregnancy with this chart:

The very beginning of the chart is March 5th, 2012, when I was at 267 pounds. You can see I had a full year of progress before I became pregnant at 215 pounds, which is the first orange dot. I continued to lose for another month or so until I realized I was pregnant and had to reluctantly increase my calories. Like you, I was nervous about gaining, so I decided to build upon the plan I was currently working by continuing to eat healthy but in larger amounts.

I haven't been absolutely perfect, occasionally indulging in cravings and what-not, but I track everything I eat in a hand-written food journal (as I had been doing during my weight loss) and continue to do my best to stay active. I like water fitness, walking, and some of the machines at the gym (which I got approval over with my doctor). I was advised to cut anything high-impact since I was considered high risk, so I also reluctantly gave up the C25K program I'd started in the previous months. The doctor told me I should gain up to 30 pounds but my personal goal was only 20. I'm currently at a 23.5 gain with only two weeks left to go so it seems I've reached a happy medium. I'm one of the leaders of a local weight loss group, and I continue to participate in the weekly meetings to keep my gaining in check and to ensure I get back on the weight loss wagon once it's time. My major goal is to be back into full weight loss mode by March 5th, 2014, which will give me some time to heal and ease back into things. I'd also like to restart C25K by then.

As for my current diet, I avoid most simple carbs (especially sugar) and loosely count calories. I make a lot of smoothies and salads in order to get my fruit and veggies in, I eat a lot of beans and chicken breast, and lately I've been indulging on hamburgers since I could use the extra calories and need the iron. I looked up how many calories I should have per day according to each trimester and try to stick with that. My gain has been healthy and relatively steady, as you can see.

As excited as I was to be pregnant and as much as I wanted it, the idea of gaining after working so hard to get down to my lowest weight ever was outright scary! I'd spent most of my adult life around 250 pounds and some of it at 360, never dropping anywhere under 220. When I finally did earlier this year, it was a huge, huge, deal. And when I went back up over 220 again, I was ready to cry! But I realize it's only temporary and that it's for a good cause. I can stay on track and get back to the loss again, and you can too!

Good luck!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225 / 177.2 / 140

Height: 5'4"

22 pounds. I was obese and was aiming for 11-20 pounds.

I think I gained about 5 in the first and the rest pretty evenly through the 2nd two trimesters. I was so stressed by the end of my pregnancy that I started to lose weight!

I didn't follow anything and I really wish I would have. My daughter was on the heavy side at 8 pounds, 12 ounces and they suspect I had undiagnosed GD. I will limit processed carbs in the future and continue to calorie count.

I had horrible fatigue and nausea in the first trimester so I didn't do much. I mostly walked, but I kept up with pilates, weight lifting, and biking a little bit too.

You didn't ask it, but I lost 20 pounds with my daughter's birth....and gained most of it back while bf'ing. I could not cut calories without a supply drop so I slowly put on weight and maintained at 205 for almost a year. I finally got back to my prepreg weight when she was 18 months old and I'm now 16 pounds lighter than where I started with my first.
gretel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #6  
Momof4

S/C/G: 317/*ticker*/198

Height: 5'6"

With my first I weight 200lbs gained a total of 70ish lbs. But I went nuts with "EAT ALL THE FOOD NOW" and blamed every candy bar on the baby. With my daughter, I weighed 270ish lbs when I got pregnant and I gained 20ish lbs.

with both previous pregnancies I gained the most in the 3rd tri and it was A LOT of water weight. I went from 274 going into delivery to 250 2 days later.
What did you do for diet? Calories, carbs, brewer diet? Nothing at all. This time I'm eating Paleo.

How often and what kind of exercise did you do? None. This time I'm walking on the treadmill/ outside when weather permits. When it's warm I'll swim.

Last edited by Nagazim; 12-14-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Nagazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/175.7/130

Height: 5'4"

2 lbs. I was 198 before pregnancy and 200 when I delivered.

From the growing baby/fluids in my belly. I only gained the last 4 weeks. I was in a pretty bad relationship that got a lot worse when I found out I was pregnant. He made me so stressed and hurt from what he was doing to me I literally stopped eating.

Well I was never much of an eater before an with all the stress I didn't really eat any more than I dd before. Some days I would only eat like 2 piece of whole wheat bread somedys I didn't eat at all. Stupid I know. But after I got out of the relationship I started eating more and more healthy and non healthy foods. I gained back all the weight I'd lost and the 2 extra pounds.

I walked at least 2 times a day.

*I'm not recommending my eating habits!! They were terrible for a growing baby/pregnancy! If I hadn't been in such a horrible relationship I'm sure I would have gained weight instead if losing it. The only things I ever craved or wanted all the time were blueberry muffins and mustard.
However, even with all the downfalls during my entire pregnancy, I was lucky enough to have a (nearly) perfect pregnancy,besides becoming slightly anemia the last trimester. I was even more blessed to give birth (all naturally and very suddenly at 39 weeks) to a perfectly healthy baby boy! He's two months old today and already discovering his hands and laughing at objects, movements, ad sounds! I myself am down to 178lbs now and couldn't be happier! I haven't been in the 170s since highschool! Heck, I can't ever remember being under 172!

Last edited by RedSavvy10; 12-15-2013 at 04:28 PM.
RedSavvy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

OMG! It's been forever since I've been pregnant!

Many moons ago, back in 1979, when I got knocked up, things were not like they are now.

I was around, 136, sicker than a dog, that tips over the trash can the first few months.

Once I got over that, it seemed like a free for all. Sometimes.

I ate HOT mexican food like it was my job, but Pizza Hut sauce made me hurl.

Tuna gave me heartburn to no end, but I also ate gallons of chile followed up with raspberry sherbert!

Given what my life was like at the time and we were more poor than church mice, I walked a lot. I had no choice, Dh had the only car and he drove it to work.

So, to the original ?

I was around 136. Nine months later, at 195, I delivered twin boys, that were a shade over 6 pounds EACH! Natural delivery!

In my opinion, the first time is a crap shoot, we don't know what we are doing! I didn't! I had no clue, I was gonna get big as a barn, and have twins, natural, gain a ton of weight and that the first would look like a cone head from Saturday Night Live, thanks to a lump on his head from the *salad spoons* and that his younger brother, who was hanging out cross ways, under my ribs, would need the CPR, beating on my chest to shake his lazy butt loose so he could be born.

Could I have done better, yes, I could have, but the first time is such an unknown.

Life, did not give me the opportunity do have anymore children. However, having lived through the first time, experience would have changed some things, and not changed others.

On the flip side. I have 4 awesome grandchildren! The most recent born Friday night! Enerson Paige!

I now have Devani, (a girl as in Coach Bob Devaney,Devaney stadium, yup Husker fans here), and her new sis, Emerson. And Allie Cadence, and Anderson Hayes, my other sons children.

The best advice I would give to a first time pregnancy, be patient, take a breath, and learn from it. While your OBGYN is a good source, the other women in your life, that have "been there done that" are also a great source of life experience!

The medical community and the advances in it, does give those who practice, tons of education, but, women have been doing this since time eternal, and there is wisdom, in those that have gone before us in this life experience!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #9  

I wad 220 at 4 months, by the time I delivered I was 270 ish. I gained about 5-7 pounds a month and I ate whatever I wanted. I worked in a bagel shop so ate alot of bagels and I would make myself pancakes like every other morning lol. Yeah I got pretty huge and 8 months later still havent lost much weight
AmyandLaynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 140/140/118

Height: 5'2

I didn't weigh myself but I was visibly slimmer the day I gave birth compared to the day I got pregnant. I started out at 147ish and although I weight closer to 154 I think it was water weight as my arms waist etc all looked smaller. I wasn't well at the start though and had to have an operation at 10 weeks, also my appetite was tiny, much smaller than usual.

Lost through first and half of second, stayed about the same,just got a little rounder in the facenear the end.

I ate lots of carbs, all I could face at first was pasta with tomato based sauces. Later I got a sweet tooth for chocolate, melon, etc.

I moved house and had a longer walk to work, I think that helped my body, even now after 9 months when I started to exercise properly again I feel fitter than before.

My problem was after the baby was born, I ended up 160 pounds which is my heaviest ever. I just wanetd to eat and eat. I'm breastfeeding and wanted sugar andcarbs constantly. It's only now at around 9 months that I feel able to diet but the weight is shiftingfairly slowly x
xblondie86x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #11  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

For me with my first pregnancy I was about 147 before pregnancy and put on about two stone and then after birth I was about 161 pounds.

This time around I am 20 weeks pregnant right now and so far I have lost 5 pounds while pregnant.

My last weigh in before pregnancy I was 12 stone 8 and I dropped down to 11 stone 13 and now I am at 12 stone 3. This is from a mixture of weight loss and morning sickness and by full term ideally I would not want to go above 13 stone.

But it also summer in Portugal and all the swimming we do can help with weight loss and general toning ready for birth.

My target weight is 9 stone 3 (I was 16 stone 5 until I started my weight loss regime) so its nice to say I am only three stone away!

Anyway hope it goes well for you.
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

I was around 180-190 with both kids, and delivered around 205, so I went home at 185- 190.

I don't put on tons of weight. My appetite isn't huge while pregnant. I chalk that up to already being overweight - the system knows I just don't need the sheer calorie volume.

This time (which is the last time) I am starting heavier - started at 204, lost 10lbs due to nausea in the first tri, and am trying to maintain with a carefully planned diet. If I deliver at 194ish, I'll go home at 180ish, which is mentally much better for me to start really working at than 200lbs.

Last edited by jeminijad; 07-17-2014 at 07:08 AM.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote