Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

Default better scale?

I have a digital and an analog scale. Each reads +/- 3 lbs depending on how I stand or even where it is on the floor.

I like the analog scale's immediate change so I can see how it changes depending on how I stand or where the scale is, so I can adjust to be more accurate. However whole number lbs is the best you can do

I like the digital reading to tenths of a pound but it does not update immedately, it starts at 0, then the numbers show a single weight after a few seconds that doesn't change, so you can't get a feel that you are standing on the scale right.

What I'd like is a digital scale, reads to tenths but immediately, instantaneously shows your weight like an analog scale. But I don't want to spend a fortune. Does such a thing even exist?
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't know. I have an old scale from Weight Watchers (I'm sorry, I don't remember where I got it) and it always gives me a consistent number (whether I like it or not!), regardless of how I stand on it. I suggest you try out scales at the store and try to stand with your weight focused on different angles (with your feet still in the correct position) and see if it's consistent. Beyond that, I'm not sure if what you're looking for exists. I hope you find it though because that can be frustrating and weight loss can be frustrating enough.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #3  

I just got back from the store. I did see the weight watchers scales there but did not buy one, I came home with a scale that does what I wanted but I regret the purchase, once it stabilizes on a number it is +/-5 lbs. even worse than the one I already have, it's going back tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #4  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I like my EatSmart scale
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/121/128

Height: 5'5"

I have a Salter 9028 scale, I also use a Salter scale to weigh my food portions. They've both proved to be incredibly accurate, I've actually tried the trick of moving it to get my weight to go down when I've had frustrating weeks, and it recorded the same weight regardless of where I put it. I assume it's also available in the U.S. I bought mine on Amazon, it might be worth a try.
DLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #6  

I bought another scale, it will give 10 consistent readings in a row, but I wonder, either I got a medical grade scale for 20 bucks or something is amiss.

It appears it has a "memory" that will repeat the last weight shown if its within a few pounds, I verified by picking up small items and reweighing until it changed, you had to pick up 2-3 lbs, then it would finally change. Then putting down items it read the same until I put down about 2-3 lbs.

If I have to fool the scale into not spitting out its "memory" then I think this one is going back too, maybe scale nirvana is an impossible goal unless I spend hundreds of dollars.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

How frustrating! I hope you find the right scale. Or, maybe you could just go with measurements and photos, which can be helpful as well and cost effective.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #8  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

It seems today that many digital scales have that built in memory. They are supposedly only accurate to within .2 to .5lb anyway, and then if you weigh 148 today, and tomorrow you weigh 147.8, you may well just get the 148 reading again. For those of us who don't lose in leaps, or rarely get whooshes, that is disheartening. Running a recal on the scale can help. I test mine regularly by holding 2 five pound hand weights when I step on, and then reweighing without them.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #9  

Maybe part of the problem is my obsession to see if the diet and exercise I am doing is actually working. I think maybe I need to take the scale back and just stop weighing myself daily. Maybe weekly, monthly, even, and use the reliable old analog scale I have. This scale does work, just won't show those small daily changes I wanted to see.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 AM   #10  

I started doing that trick holding the hand weights on the scale to force it to reweigh me, and downloaded the user manual to the scale I already have and learned how to recalibrate it. I am getting "pretty good" numbers now, with these tricks and a verification on the analog scale.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #11  
onedayatatimer

That's great!