Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 04:41 PM   #1  

Question Low carb Tortillas

I know this has probably been asked about a million times. I was wondering if anyone eats low carb tortillas on a regular basis and if so what kind is the best? I just think they would be great to have on hand if I didn't have anything to cook. Thanks in advance.
Ginger
Old 01-23-2004, 04:45 PM   #2  

i don't eat low carb totilla, but i do eat more corn tortillas than flour. my husband is hispanic and tortillas are a staple in our house. corn tortillas are only 1 serving of carb. for anyone who doesn't know 15 gr. of carbs is one serving.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:47 PM   #3  

Can you just buy those at the regular grocery store like Walmart? Thanks for your quick response.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

I like the La Tortilla. You can buy them here in the NW at Albertsons. I bought some garlic and herb ones today, thought they would be good for tuna sandwiches, havent tried them yet but will let you know.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:25 AM   #5  
on my way down again

Hi. I eat La Tortilla low carb taco shells almost everyday. We have 2 natural food stores around us, and they're the only ones who carry them so far. They are 3g effective carbs each (11gTotal Carb-8grams Dietary Fiber=3.)

Not only do they make great tacos, they make the best pizza wraps as well. I'm going to try and think of a whip cream dessert too-maybe with Davinci syrup.
Oh, I should add that one store keeps them on a little shelf unrefrigerated on the bread isle, and one store keeps them all frozen.

Last edited by Barbie101; 01-24-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #6  

Great! You are giving me some great ideas. I would probably eat them just about everyday. I will have to try a natural foods store and see. I have been to Walmart and they seem to be getting more low carb foods, but I haven't seen any tortillas. Thank you for your response it was very helpful.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:51 PM   #7  
Baby Steps

Are the shells freezable? I bought some but I'm not sure I want to eat them right now. So was thinking of freezing them. Or don't they freeze well??
Old 01-27-2004, 07:59 PM   #8  
Head Princess

I know that the tortillas are freezable and I'm told that they freeze rather well. I had a hard time with texture but have found that they're good for little chicken ceaser wraps or for enchiladas. Especially enchiladas because I think they have a texture similar to corn tortillas.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/201/175

Height: 5'3"

Thumbs down

Yes they are freezable, I have 3 packages in my freezer right now. A friend at work buys them by the case. Where I live the only place to get them is on the internet. My local health food store is only into weeds and pills !!!!!
They make great ham and cheese roll ups and I even make "Mexican" Grilled Cheese sandwiches out of them (there's a name for them but I can't pronounce it right let alone spell it )
Have a great day .....
Old 01-28-2004, 09:43 AM   #10  
Baby Steps

I'd really like to try and make them into a small pizza for myself. Or maybe have a couple of them in tacos.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:39 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I make them on my george forman grill, quesadilla's (sp?).

I eat at least 2 a day, I like the original flavor and the green onion. Ohh the brand is La Tortilla, I buy them on the internet b/c I save more than $1 a package then buying them in a LC store.

I posted the letter I got from their rep on another thread.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:57 AM   #12  

leens what is the website where you buy them????
Old 01-28-2004, 11:02 AM   #13  

Hummm ....haven't tried them on the good ole George Forman. It's a thought ...and I can't spell the Q word either
I get most of my "groceries" from The Better Health Food Store on the internet. They have a great variety of Atkins food ...and their muffin mixes are about 4.50 (not sure) and in my local stores they are 6.99 I like the Cranberry Orange and for 2 carbs what the heck splurge.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:46 PM   #14  

Try www.betterhealthfoodstore.com and La Tortilla (just type it in the search engine and you should get their home page) . I'm not sure but the Low Carb Connoisseur might have them. There are also several low carb food stores on the internet my list is at work (I'm snowed in ...not really but my train was canceled so I thought it was a good day to take off).
Happy Hunting
Old 01-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #15  

You guys are awesome! I knew I came to the right place for help. I have gotten so many ideas about how to eat them. I actually purchased the corn tortillas. The ones I bought have 9 net carbs. My health food store didn't sell them either. Also the corn tortillas have no fat!!! I couldn't believe it. Making a rollup sounds good. I made chicken fajitas with them the other night. Even hubby liked these better than the flour ones! Thanks
Closed Thread