Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Dr. Oz, the quack - US government takes notice

We've said it for a while, Dr. Oz peddles some new miracle product every week and has a large following. Apparently, he was called to a US Senate hearing to answer for the many dubious, unscientific claims he has made.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/17/health...-grills-dr-oz/

I wanted to add that I think there may be a few outcomes which could be positive all around.

1) He may be stripped of his medical license. I'm not sure how likely this would be.
2) More likely, we may see stronger warnings on tv programs and maybe? websites. I know his tv show puts in a tiny disclaimer that it isn't medical advice and is for entertainment purposes only but who follows that? There are websites out there like naturalnews.com and mercola.com that also dispense unscientific information as medical/health information. These tv shows, websites, etc, should come with strong/visible dislcaimers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #2  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I look forward to seeing how this turns out. I feel bad for him and understand the pressure of contracts, etc. His writers/network should bear some responsibility.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #3  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

I don't feel sorry for him at all! He has made millions at the expense of a naive, unsuspecting and gullible public that believes a pill will cure all their ills. Sad to say, he epitomizes what a lot of doctors have become: legal pill pushers too afraid to say "no" to patients demanding this or that pill because the equally-greedy pharmaceutical company says they "need" it. I think he's a quack and an embarrassment to his profession.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quackity quack quack. He's a nutty, I can't believe the influence he wields. Sad.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #5  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

I agree with the last two posters. Pushing pills and remedies which he knows do not work. He is also an odd fellow. I have seen a few clips of his shows and he seems obsessed with poop and bad smells. He actually stood outside a women's bathroom at a mall and asked the women if they pooped and what it looked like! I mean WOW!!! Even if it's for something medical, why in the heck would he do that???? Like who would engage in a conversation with a weirdo asking what shape is your poop?? He is married too??!!! Wow again!!!!!
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

I think he did wrong! He made millions of dollars on poor people who trusted him! He lied to them and should be punished;-)
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

I don't know, I think people that fell for it all need to take some responsibility for themselves. I never watched or read him but couldn't help but pick up some of his spiel (if it walks like a duck...). I don't understand how everyone just jumped on the bandwagon and the pills and patches and magic. If it seems too good to be true....
I just don't think he should bear the brunt alone. We all are guilty of wanting quick fixes but we all know there is no "magic pill". Although he is a doctor at a certain point you have to take a step back and say wait a sec, that doesn't make sense. I had a doctor tell me to starve if I wanted to lose weight and another doctor tell me to feel better to just stop taking all of my medicines one of which I depend on for my life another pill which others lives depend on (heaven help them if I go off my mood stabilizers, lol).
I guess everyone should eat a slice of the responsibility pie to me.
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #8  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I don't watch much tv so don't much about Dr. Oz. that said, the bunk that our governments, many scientists, mainstream nutritionists put out in food guides as though there were good science supporting the guidelines....it's a scandal of enormous proportion that's led us to an obesity epidemic in North America.

See the film Cereal Killers aBout Dr. Tim Noakes from South Africa, Dr. Briffa from England and an Australian cricket team.

CerealKillersMovie.com

Facebook.com/CerealKillersMovie

Last edited by Annik; 06-19-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If you guys think he is doing this for the money you need to do a little more research into Dr Oz. His wife, in particular, is bat sh#t crazy. Form your own opinion. Mine?

I think Dr Oz actually believes the crap he is peddling.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Mainstream 'nutritionists' didn't cause obesity in America. America has caused obesity in America.

As for Dr. Oz, the only reason I know of what he peddles is we get a question nearly every other day here about a product he has been peddling and the research never backs the products up. They range from mainly harmless (but useless) to potentially dangerous. Entire (scammy) companies have been erected to peddle whatever junk he is selling this week.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #11  
it's always something

A long, long time ago, Dr. Oz busted diet pill myths. Then he got his own show

He once featured a product on his site that had actually been shown to help weight loss in post-menopausal diabetic women, although the amount lost was minimal. However, he never once mentioned that it was only shown to work in post-menopausal diabetic women and no other group that was tested experienced weight loss. He promoted it as a weight loss miracle for everyone. Naturally, product sales soared and no one lost weight.

I'd like to say that's typical for his show, but in that instance there was a slight amount of potential for a specific group of people. Most of the products he features have never been proven to assist humans with weight loss.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
A long, long time ago, Dr. Oz busted diet pill myths. Then he got his own show

He once featured a product on his site that had actually been shown to help weight loss in post-menopausal diabetic women, although the amount lost was minimal. However, he never once mentioned that it was only shown to work in post-menopausal diabetic women and no other group that was tested experienced weight loss. He promoted it as a weight loss miracle for everyone. Naturally, product sales soared and no one lost weight.

I'd like to say that's typical for his show, but in that instance there was a slight amount of potential for a specific group of people. Most of the products he features have never been proven to assist humans with weight loss.
Yea i actually tried a couple of them. MEH
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #13  

Default Dr. Oz Worshippers - What you guys have to say now?

Dr. Oz worshippers - got anything to say about this??? Found an article on people.com Dr. Oz became the target of some harsh words from Sen. Claire McCaskill, chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, who accused the daytime host of giving viewers "false hope" in products. See what Dr. Oz says in the hearing...

I'm thinking, when you become very popular, first thing you would think of is money!!! You would be thinking on how to use the popularity to generate money...right? Would you care for other people suffering if you were showered with money? I'm speculating here!!!

Anyway, here's the link http://carrance.com/peopledotcom-dro...of-harsh-words
Hope the moderator won't mind I'm posting link here...
HoneyLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #14  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I've watched his show before, and even been mildly entertained. However, I never once took leave of reality and believed in the nonsense he peddles. So, while he bears SOME responsibility, probably most of it indeed, the people who bought into him have some culpability too.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
I've watched his show before, and even been mildly entertained. However, I never once took leave of reality and believed in the nonsense he peddles. So, while he bears SOME responsibility, probably most of it indeed, the people who bought into him have some culpability too.

Yes, everyone bears some responsibility for their own actions, regardless of whose suggestions they are following, but I don't believe that is the issue here at all.

I would argue that Dr. Oz bears 100% responsibility for what comes out of his own mouth.

If you follow Dr. Oz's advice without checking with you're own doctor, you bear a great deal of the responsibility for the consequences. However you're not responsible for the fact that Dr. Oz made irresponsible and unsubstantiated claims and endorsements.

Dr. Oz is a smart guy. Too smart not to realize that the poorest and least educated, most ignorant people are the most vulnerable to inflated and exagerated claims - and also the least able to afford the false hope.

I believe the hippocratic oath still includes the phrase to "first do no harm."

Obviously Dr. Oz believes that audience members are not his patients so the oath doesn't apply. Personally, I disagree.

Many people believe(d), respect(ed) and trust(ed) Dr. Oz, and those people bear some of the responsibility for doing so. However, that trust, respect, and belief really isn't the main issue here.

Whether or not ANYONE trusts, respects, or believes Dr. Oz, he should still be held accountable for what he is presenting as medical advise.

I'm actually surprised that his license to practice medicine hasn't been revoked. At the very least I'd expect him to be fined and reprimanded.

What good is it to license physicians if the license means nothing.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-23-2014 at 05:08 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote