Old 01-18-2004, 09:51 PM   #1  

Default LCFS week of Jan 18th

A new week, Hi everyone,
I've lost 5 lbs this past week. I'm really enjoying this more than ever before.
Today, I cleaned the house and took a break from exercise, I know, housecleaning is work, but not the same as exercising.
Our weather has now plunged below zero. Last night, all the doors froze shut on the car that DH took to work. He had to catch a ride home with a coworker. Is is still super cold where you are?

Lynn, I hope your trip goes well. At least you have lots of relative there, so that will make it better. Stay safe.

I better get ready for bed, take care, Nikki
Old 01-19-2004, 03:42 AM   #2  
For my HEALTH...

Angry Thanks to NiKKic & Anne D & Aleka

NiKKic & Anne D & Aleka: Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I am going to keep plugging away on my Gazelle and hopefully I will start to see results soon. Thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 AM   #3  

Angry

Good morning,
It looks like we're out of the deep freeze for a while at least. But, I think we're back into some colder temps tomorrow, but not as bad as last week.

Well, guys, I've made a decision. Tomorrow I'm joining WW again. I just can't stick to something on my own. I need the accountability of a weekly weigh in because I really want to get this weight off, if I don't do something I'm only going to gain even more weight. They have this new fast track program that you do for 2 weeks. I saw on WW website that you can do the program either high carb or low carb. So, thought I'd take a stab at the low carb way.

lynn, have a safe trip and a nice visit with your family. Good luck to your DH on his Dr. appt.

nikki, congratulations on your 5 lb. weight loss!! That is really impressive. The best part is that you liked the way you were eating.
I can relate to the below zero temps you're having. How long is it supposed to last? Have you ever made Suzanne's egg crepes? She was on HSN all last weekend Somersizing. Last night I fell asleep listening to her, and she said that you could fill her egg crepes with taco fixins and eat like a taco shell. On one hand it sounds ok, but on the other hand, I really wish her stuff wasn't so expensive. She was selling blueberry muffin mix. Compared to Atkins muffins, his works out soooo much cheaper. I was surprised at the blueberry muffins because I always thought you always had to eat fruit by itself.

ANNE, hope you had a nice relaxing weekend. Are you still in the deep freeze?

Pookie, your welcome. I know you're going to love the gazelle. I made the mistake of not flexing my feet and my toes got numb. When I wiggled them they were fine.

Later this afternoon we have to travel down to Massachusetts. DH's uncle (by marriage) passed away last week. We're going to just make an appearance at the wake then come home.

Have a great day.
Aleka
Old 01-19-2004, 07:13 AM   #4  

[B]Goodmorning Ladies: CONGTATS!!!!!!!!! Nikki. That is great. I don't know what I have lost. I have 3 pairs of jeans that are my guide. A pair size 12, size 14, Size 16. I diet when I get to the 16 and stop when I get to the size12. Nuts eh? It works for me espically when I hit the plateau's. Except when I got to the 12 this time I went nuts. I have been doing this for years the size 12 jeans are 14 years old! Hven't worn them in years but they are my guide. If I hang on to them they will be back in style soon. My daughter has a scale that does body fat etc. I will be battling with myself the whole time I will be there. When I get to the 12 I will weigh myself and find out my body fat. Well another blizzard like conditions out there today. Should be a fun trip down. must go the DH just got up, Will talk to you on Wednesday. Lynn
Old 01-19-2004, 08:38 AM   #5  

Goodmorning again: Just killing time for DH to shovel the driveway. Aleka I hope you are going to stay here on this site. I would miss our conversations. I forget to mention that I went to the chat room last night and there were 3 people. very very weird people. It appeared to be 2 ladies and a man. I followed , or tried to follow the conversation for about 30 seconds and got out of there. I guess you have to make arrangements to meet people there. Well nye again Lynn
Old 01-19-2004, 08:55 AM   #6  

Thumbs down

lynn, I'll still be around because I've made some wonderful friends on this thread and I would miss you all. I'll still be low carbing and counting my points. I basically just want someplace to weigh in every week to keep me on track. If I do it on my own and I want to cheat, I do. But, if I weigh in each week, I have second thoughts about cheating. I want my clothes to fit right again. How much snow did you get? We got a couple of inches and DH was out plowing and shoveling. Again, have a safe trip.

Aleka
Old 01-19-2004, 09:26 AM   #7  

Hi Aleka: Still here!! Dh still shoveling. We got about 5-6 inches, and another 6 to come. My son just emailed me and there is nothing down in Mississauga. What a differance an hour north makes. We are going to head out and if it's to bad we will turn around. You have a safe trip yourself and talk to you later or sooner as the case might be LOL Lynn
Old 01-19-2004, 10:03 AM   #8  

Good morning,
First, Pookie, your welcome and you can join our thread if you want to. We love people.
Lynn and Aleka, have a safe trip. Aleka, my sympathies to your family on the loss of your DH's relative.
Lynn we called our thread LCFS, which stands for Low Carb Free Style, because we do experiment with our woe on occasion. But, we still want a home base to come back to, so this is it. I think that having a support system is essential for weight loss, at least it is for me. Aleka, I think WW not only gives you a place to weigh in, but also, a place to be accountable and to get more support. I like ediets for that reason, the online meetings are great and there are several support groups, but I"m not thrilled with their Atkins plan, I'll tell you more about that later.
Lynn, I've never been in the chat room. There are unusual people all over the internet, arent' there? I live in a little town in Iowa, and even though I worked at a psych hospital for almost 20 years, I never realized how strange some people are, until I got on the internet.
Aleka, I still haven't made the egg crepes, I don't know why. When we have taco's, I just make myself a large taco salad with all the stuff I'd put inside on top. It actually works out to a lot more food, but less carbs.
I don't understand how Suzanne can sell blueberry muffins, it doesn't sound like somersizing to me.
On that note, some disturbing rumors on the other bb's about Atkins. They say they saw a news report that Atkins will come out with a new book that says to limit your fat intake and to control the portions of food you eat. I haven't heard this yet, but what I do know is, on the ediets site, this is how the plans are set up. I called to complain and told the customer service guy that I didn't think their dieticians had read the book. He said that their plans are made up by Atkins, following the most current ideas of theirs. He told me not to follow the book, as it is out dated, but to follow their plans. (Oh say it isn't so!) Anyway, their diets incorporate a lot of turkey bacon, turkey sausage, soy products, soy sausage and Atkins products. I'm wondering, if this is true, if Atkins is trying to become more mainstream or if possibly they are afraid of the FCC or some government agency, coming down on them, like they did with Body Flex? Whatever the reason, I know Dr. Atkins didn't believe in this. He specifically said in his book not to make this into a low fat diet or to limit your portions. The reason being, after awhile you get use to it and limit yourself naturally anyway.
Well, time will tell. I know the current way I'm eating, according to Atkins book that is currently available, is working very well and I haven't felt this good, with this much energy, for a long time.
Got to run, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 01-19-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:03 PM   #9  

Angry

nikki, thank you for your condolences. I would say stay with what is working for you. I sometimes wonder why they change things when something is working so well. It just hit me, I'm wondering if that could be because of South Beach Diet being so popular. I forgot to tell you. Last night while listening to HSN, someone called in to talk to SS. She said that she entered a chili contest and used Suzanne's jalapeno chili and won first prize! Isn't that a kick?

Gotta run and eat lunch, we'll be leaving in another hr. or so.
Talk to you later.

Aleka
Old 01-19-2004, 10:19 PM   #10  

Well, that story was a big fat lie. I went to the Atkins site and here is what they had to say about it

http://atkins.com/about/recentnews/A...otChanged.html

I think some people were taking what Dr. Atkins wrote out of context, then turning it around to fit their news story.
What a relief, I've been ticked off about that all day. Guess I shouldn't take things like this so personally, but when you want to believe in something, like a woe, you don't need for it to change all at once.
As far as the ediets plan goes, I've read lots of posts from other people that think it doesn't go with the book. They don't use butter or cream in any of the recipes I've seen. They use nuts the first week of induction too. Besides, it's just too hard to use, for me anyway.

Aleka, in which book is Suzannes Jalepeno chili?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:31 AM   #11  

Good Morning Everyone:
I had a restful weekend but now its back to reality These last
few days at work I don't even have a chance to eat my lunch Its my
own fault though, because I prefer to use my hour to walk around the
city and vent to my friend

Nikki, five pounds way to go!!! You are doing great!!

Aleka, when you count points with low carbing how much do you get to
eat {roughly) in a day? Example how many points is tuna or chicken?

Our weather is still freezing. You really feel it walking around the tall
downtown buildings.

Talk to you later.
Anne.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #12  

Thumbs down

Good morning,

I got back from my WW meeting a little while ago. It's amazing how the meetings motivate me and I'm raring to go.

nikki, glad that you got the true story about the Atkins Diet. I was watching GMA this morning, and evidently yesterday morning they reported that Atkins was starting to go low fat, portion control, etc. Well, someone from Atkins was supposed to be on this morning to straighten things out. I taped it, but haven't watched it. I'll watch it later and tell you what he said. You wonder why someone would start rumors like that. The Jalapeno Chili recipe is in Eat, Cheat, and Melt the Fat Away. I am definitely thinking about making it.

ANNE, it has gotten colder here too. I just wish the wind would stop or at least settle down a bit. The point value of chicken depends whether it's prepared with or without skin and bone. A 3 oz. chicken breast cooked (broiled or baked) without skin and bone is 3 points, cooked with skin and bone, 7 points. A 1/2 cup serving of canned tuna in oil, drained, is 5 points, a 1/2 cup serving of canned tuna in water, drained, is 3 points. You have a set point to reach each day, and that set point depends on how much you weigh. The higher your range of weight, the higher your set point. Once you reach a certain weight you have a lower set point. Mine is 22, and when I get below 150 lbs. it'll go down to 20, and they stress not to eat below 20 points. I can eat just about anything I want as long as I don't go above 22 points. Then on top of that we get 35 extra points to use or not to use. This is for little emergencies like when you go out to eat or whatever.

lynn, hope your DH made out ok with the Dr. and that you're having a good visit with your family.

Take care and have a wonderful day.
Aleka
Old 01-20-2004, 11:13 AM   #13  

Hi,
We're running up to the big city to get DH some walking shoes for the treadmill. He does 3 miles 2 times a day, so he needs good shoes. I plan on getting into GNC and looking at low carb food.

Anne, hope your day goes better. Glad you had a good weekend off.
Lynn, hope your trip is going well.
Aleka, those extra points would be especially handy for birthdays and holidays. I feel the same way about being motivated with my diet, because of ediets. It helped me to get commited again to my weight loss program.

I better run, Nikki
Old 01-21-2004, 05:46 AM   #14  

Angry

For some reason yesterday I could not get warm. I was wrapped in a blanket most of the day. DH was the same way. Our computer is downstairs and it was brutal down here so that you didn't want to stay very long. We couldn't understand it because we're not in the frigid temps like we were last week.

nikki, did your DH get his walking shoes? That's wonderful he's walking 6 miles a day. DH said he will do WW with me, but I'll have to count his points for him. It's bad enough I have to count my own! I watched the interveiw I taped on GMA yesterday afternoon, and he said basically the same thing you read in the Atkins site. Today they're going to see if the new low carb menu at the fast food restaurants is all its cracked up to be. That should be interesting to see.

ANNE, hope you had a good day at work on Monday and that the didn't bother you too much. Have you decided when or if you'll be having lunch with her?

Hi lynn, hope you had a safe trip home.

Have a good day everyone.
Aleka
Old 01-21-2004, 09:22 AM   #15  

Good morning everyone,
DH got some New Balance shoes, he's like a kid at Christmas time with them. He sat them on the coffee table last night to admire them. Now he's on the treadmill with them. He says they are the most comfortable shoes he's ever owned. I know they are the most expensive. He got a gift card from his son for Sears, so that is what he got with them.

Yesterday, I made the best turkey breast I've ever had. It's so quick and easy, it's hard to believe how good it was. DH and I ate the whole thing
This is how to do it-
After thawing the turkey breast, put it in a large bowl, cover with water and add 1 tbs salt. (Or less/none if your watching your salt intake). Let set in fridge over night. The next day, drain, and sprinkle on garlic powder and paprika. Put in the crockpot on high for 4-5 hours, til done.
The bones fall off, so you do have to watch out for them. I strained the juice (because of those little bones) and made a very wonderful gravy with it. If you do, don't add salt, it is a little on the salty side, or just right if you love salt.

Aleka, I know what you mean about the not getting warm thing. For some reason, when it seems like the temps outside are warmer, I feel even colder inside. I wonder in our case if it's because when its' colder outside, our furnace runs nonstop. Tonight, our wind chills will be below zero again. I hate when that happens.

Hi Anne and Lynn, talk to you all later, Nikki