General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/216/166

Height: 5'9

Default Has your Dr. said anything about your weight loss?

Ok so I am going to the Doctor soon and I was wondering if Doctors take note of weight loss? In your experience did your Dr. say something when you lost weight? I have lost 35 pounds and i am hoping she will notice, because I could really use the encouragement of my Dr. noticing it.
FruitLoverForLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLoverForLyfe View Post
Ok so I am going to the Doctor soon and I was wondering if Doctors take note of weight loss? In your experience did your Dr. say something when you lost weight? I have lost 35 pounds and i am hoping she will notice, because I could really use the encouragement of my Dr. noticing it.
i don't see how she couldn't because you usually get weighed first
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillyJ View Post
i don't see how she couldn't because you usually get weighed first
Ok good did you go to the Dr. after weight loss? You've lost a lot of weight! Weigh to go! haha see what I did there?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #4  

Yes i did, in fact i did it all w/o a scale so i had to call the office to find out my highest weight, LOL. Doc just asked me how i was doing it and said i looked great.

Even if your doc says nothing, it doesn't matter, you have lost and that's a victory!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #5  

Wow! Kudos to you for doing all that without a scale! That would drive me bonkers! Thank you for your encouragement
Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

They will probably notice and take note... They will also notice and take note if you gain too. I went with two years of doctor's praises followed by this spring's sincere concern and worry.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #7  

If your doctor is decent he/she will. I saw my doctor (who I'm about to fire) for the first time in January of this year. She noted my weight and told me that I should consider a 1200 calorie per diem diet and/or weight loss surgery. I told her that I had lost quite a bit of weight from my highest weight and I was loosing slowly but comfortably. She didn't think this was correct. I saw her again a few weeks ago for a sore throat. I had lost another 20+ pounds since I saw her. She mentioned nothing about my weight- no congratulations, no nothing.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If your doctor is decent he/she will. I saw my doctor (who I'm about to fire) for the first time in January of this year. She noted my weight and told me that I should consider a 1200 calorie per diem diet and/or weight loss surgery. I told her that I had lost quite a bit of weight from my highest weight and I was loosing slowly but comfortably. She didn't think this was correct. I saw her again a few weeks ago for a sore throat. I had lost another 20+ pounds since I saw her. She mentioned nothing about my weight- no congratulations, no nothing.
Yuck, Locke! totally time to fire that Dr!
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

Dr noticed. First question was if I did it on purpose. Because there are conditions that can cause weightloss. After telling her I did, she congratulated me and encouraged me.
hiddenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Or even if the doctor doesn't, I bet the nurse that weighs you will. That happened to me when I was MUCH younger and I had only lost 20 pounds which made me the skinniest I ever was. And at that time, even though I wasn't low carbing, it was SO easy because I was also doing aerobics. I think I was about 24 at the time. But anyway, I still remember the nurse remarking on it as I think that was the first time I realized how much I had lost.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Mine does, but he's got a demanding personality, so he could not help adding: "Keep up the good work. You could really stand to lose 15-20 more," which immediately shot down all the good feelings that had started welling up in me.

Later, I realized that it reminded me of bringing home a report card way back in grade school. In a subject with which I'd struggled, math, I'd raised my grade from a C to a B, but my father told me: "That's good, but it ought to be an A, like your grade in English, history and art."

That left me with the feeling that even when I was trying my utmost, it wasn't quite good enough, because I was substandard material, and I'd always have to work harder than everyone else just to be normal.

Yeah, that's what a male authority figure like my doctor will bring out in me.

So be aware of your own reaction to these situations, and understand that while encouragement will help you, if you don't get the validation that you want from this appointment, don't let it slow you down or hurt your belief in yourself. It will not diminish the progress you've made. Most doctors don't know us all that well and some can be remarkably obtuse in their interpersonal relationships. (Some, not all -- those who aren't, we should all treasure and recommend everywhere.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #12  
Less of a Better Me

AS mentioned a doctor should always ask about significant weight loss as it can be indicative of a serious health issue. For example, my father was diagnosed with lung cancer after the doctor noticed he had lost over 20 pounds and asked if it was intentional (my dad was thin).

So they should always ask. My doctor did ask and I told him it was intentional and he was very complimentary and he asked what I was doing to lose it (Weight Watchers) and he said it was a good program.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #13  

Thank you all for your responses You all are so good at encouraging me and reminding me of what is really important. I am very sorry to hear about some of your terrible Doctor experiences I am going to the Dr. July 15 and I will probably change Doctors if she doesn't ask me. However, she has been a good doctor, and when I think about it, I believe she will take note of it
Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #14  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I had only lost 11 lbs the first time I went after starting and my dr noticed!
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #15  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yes, "stop". I told her I had another 10 to go.

Last edited by IanG; 07-01-2014 at 09:14 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote