Old 06-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #1  

Default meal plan or no meal plan?

HI.

The thing I have learned I do not like about OA is the many sub groups and conflicting philosophies. For example my sponsor is part of a group that does not follow any meal plan and everything is going to HP, like intuitive I guess.
It's what I have been doing for the most part, but now I have been hearing you should try and be abstinent with your food(figuring out binge/coe foods,ingredients and triggers) before even going through the steps!

I personally am thinking I need a more regimented meal plan(since I have been having binges lately) I never wanted to weigh or measure, but I'm starting to see the reasoning behind it, to tackle the volume issue that may lead to binges/overeating.
I don't know if I will ever weigh food, but I have been measuring things like grain & starch.

Do you guys follow strict meal plans or eat more intuitively?

Last edited by davina; 06-28-2014 at 07:16 PM.
davina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #2  
First Class Muncher

S/C/G: 240/204/140

Height: 5'7"

Got to do what works for you. If you don't have a meal plan, need to have good choices available.
NaughtyNibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I can't eat intuitively. I agree that you need to do what works for you. Everyone that I know works with a food plan basically. I have foods in 3 categories: red light (foods I can't manage and have to completely abstain from), yellow light (foods I can have but must weigh/measure/portion) and green light (foods I never have issues with: non-starchy veggies basically for me).

If you want, feel free to PM me. Wishing you well.

p.s. I should add that I eat 3 meals and one snack at 4pm which is always the same thing....I realized that having snacks just made me think too much about food.

Last edited by luckymommy; 07-03-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: p.s.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #4  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

I have committed myself to only eating foods that are loving and kind and healthful. I have two categories of foods.
Red-- must not, can not will not ever eat b/c they make me SICK and fat and binge-y
Then I have green.. healthy, loving pure and good for me.
I stopped all booze. I stopped all sugar.
I have a new life. A better, saner more human less manipulated by the media life.

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 07-04-2014 at 07:28 AM.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #5  

Thanks for the input.
^^ The thing I wondered about my bingeing is that I definitely have a preference for high calorie/fat/sodium foods.
But at the same time I can binge on things like cabbage soup, so from reading your points there I think it may be hunger or the habitual tendency that causes that.

I've been following food plan lately. realized that pizza, even 2 slices as a meal with salad gets me into trouble of craving more so I think I will have to abstain completely from certain things.
I am doing 3 meals a day and 1 snack in the evening if I am hungry or there is too much time before dinner and time I go to sleep.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 296

Height: 5'8"

I have a plan that allows for some flexibility in the face of my needs.

Some people love their strict plans. I don't find recovery in those.

Do you have any info on phone meetings or such from people who follow a more intuative plan. Everyone here in north/central Jersey is so strict diet driven. I'd love the company of others who find recovery in more step/HP orientated programing.
blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blog View Post

Do you have any info on phone meetings or such from people who follow a more intuative plan. Everyone here in north/central Jersey is so strict diet driven. I'd love the company of others who find recovery in more step/HP orientated programing.
Hi. My first sponsor was from Primary purpose group and they basically go to HP/intuition for what to eat. They don't use or sponsor with any meal plan at all, it's step/recovery oriented.
http://www.oapp.info/oaprimarypurposegroups --here are some meetings listed, aside from this one there is a Sunday phone meeting at 7:30 pm EST 559-546-1301 PIN 770762

Big book solution group is similar, i don't think they follow food plan just step work https://sites.google.com/site/oabigb...ution-meetings
Old 09-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I used to be part of an OA group and my only real shot at normalcy was when I stopped thinking so much about food and found my "sweet spot" with meals. I eat at specific times, specific quantities, and specific foods. I don't have to think much about what I'm going to eat or when because I keep the same schedule.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 296

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by davina View Post
Hi. My first sponsor was from Primary purpose group and they basically go to HP/intuition for what to eat. They don't use or sponsor with any meal plan at all, it's step/recovery oriented.
http://www.oapp.info/oaprimarypurposegroups --here are some meetings listed, aside from this one there is a Sunday phone meeting at 7:30 pm EST 559-546-1301 PIN 770762

Big book solution group is similar, i don't think they follow food plan just step work https://sites.google.com/site/oabigb...ution-meetings

Thanks!
blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/281.2/145

Height: 5'9/1.75m

The best thing that ever happened to me was my doctor referring me to a dietitian. She was able to help me make a reasonable food plan.
Adorkable Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #11  

Red face Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I can't eat intuitively. I agree that you need to do what works for you. Everyone that I know works with a food plan basically. I have foods in 3 categories: red light (foods I can't manage and have to completely abstain from), yellow light (foods I can have but must weigh/measure/portion) and green light (foods I never have issues with: non-starchy veggies basically for me).

If you want, feel free to PM me. Wishing you well.

p.s. I should add that I eat 3 meals and one snack at 4pm which is always the same thing....I realized that having snacks just made me think too much about food.
I like the idea of red, green, yellow light foods. Think I am gonna put mine down on paper. Thanks.
hopefloats14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #12  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I used to be part of an OA group and my only real shot at normalcy was when I stopped thinking so much about food and found my "sweet spot" with meals. I eat at specific times, specific quantities, and specific foods. I don't have to think much about what I'm going to eat or when because I keep the same schedule.

awwww, that kinda sounds like serenity
hopefloats14 is offline   Reply With Quote