Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default General, Meal Replacement Thread (Any plan, even of your own invention)

I'm following "The Simple Diet" and our thread is small and sometimes slow moving. I though I'd start a Generic (Everyone's welcome) meal replacement thread" for anyone using or interested in meal replacements.

I think our similarities are more important than our differences and I hope we can become a large and active community on 3FC in our own right.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #2  

Hello,

This is a great idea. I try to incorporate at least two meal replacements a day but sometime I fall short.

It would be good to share our experiences with different shakes,bars,etc.

Personally I lie Designer Whey brand for regular use.
My all time favorite is HMR but it s $$$. Somehow I always find my way back to it because I like the taste.

I am not fond of Atkins shakes but they will do in a pinch.

I ahve not tried the new slimfast low carb . I would like it if it were made in a berry flavor.

I usually don't eat the bars.

I look forward to hearing other peoples experiences.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #3  

If you like HMR, you may love "The Simple Diet" it's a DIY grocery store plan CLOSELY modeled after HMR (which the author mentions in the Acknowledgement section in the book)

The book gives guidelines for selecting your shakes, soups, bars, and entrees. They're also given in the "Dr Anderson's simple diet" thread here on 3FC.

I've been posting on the Simple Diet thread mentioned above and the hmr thread. I also joined The Sinple Diet and HMR teams on the sparkpeople website.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #4  

HMR is my favorite. I did try some medifast and I did not like them. When I was maintaining before and not using HMR I would use:

- zone bars to replace the HMR bars. They are more calories but I would cut them down about 1/4 and take with me.

- Progresso lite soups.

- Lean Cusine, only entrees that were under 300 cals.

- Wws smart one breakfasts. I would sometimes take out like the canadian bacon that I didn't need to make less calories.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/130/105

Height: 4ft. 7in.

I follow the ITG Diet Plan online and am loving it. I'm back on the diet after losing 70 lbs..now I am after that last 30 lbs. It is for sure harder the second time around! But thank goodness the ITG food and my coach is there for me..I don't like to have to worry about what to eat. The premise is the same as many diet plans..so I agree lets come together and succeed in getting healthy! Best of luck to all.
nray111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #6  

I'm starting the simple diet and my wife thinks its a crash diet and wants me to do ww with her but after reading the simple diet book I really want to do it. I figure if my downfall is always portion control then maybe portion decisions should be made for me.
skeebomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeebomax View Post
I'm starting the simple diet and my wife thinks its a crash diet and wants me to do ww with her but after reading the simple diet book I really want to do it. I figure if my downfall is always portion control then maybe portion decisions should be made for me.
Personally, I find the meal replacement way to be more healthy. In any diet where I have to pick and choose there is always the possibility of error. Not only too many calories but too few nutrients.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeebomax View Post
Unlike a crash diet (or vlcd diet, one under 1000 calories) there are no hard limits, even on the shakes and entrees. The 3 shakes, 2 entrees and 5 freggie servings are minimum guidelines, not maximum. The diet can be a crash diet if you choose the lowest calorie and minimal options for shakes, entrees and freggies (only totaling about 600- 700 calories).

Eating when you're hungry is stressed, even if that means extra shakes and entrees (but freggies are top priority). Even so, potatoes, beans and even avocado count as veggies (as long as they're prepared without added fat and as long as your weight loss isn't suffering for it.).

Last edited by kaplods; 10-20-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #9  

Great point. I failed to tell her that those were minimums and not hard line maximum. Thanks for the reminder since a tall big guy like me will surly need more than the min to start. Thanks for helping me get her on board.
skeebomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #10  

So I decided to quit HMR. The acute cause - the government shut down. I was not thrilled with their reaction when I only wanted two weeks off due to lack of income. But, I was already feeling this was not going to work for me for losing the last 20 lbs.

Overall I kind of realized I am just sick to death of the food. I know HMR takes great pains to make sure you do the different recipes and stuff but over all.. the food is still the food. And since I had been on it for about 2 years... I was just sick to death of it. I felt it was actually setting off binges because I just so wanted to have a different taste and the food was not cutting it... even if I did different recipes.

So I took a week off (and probably paid for that) and now I have decided to use sort of the Simple Diet to maintain and explore more "meal replacements" and see what I can mix it up with.

So far I am eating the weight watchers "smart ones" for breakfast. It just totally hits the spot for me and is 200 cals. For dinner most nights I am having lien cuisines. Their chicken parm actually tastes like chicken parm.. though it is 100 calories more.

For the "benefit bars" I am having the zone bars. Since they are 210 cals, I have been basically not having the last bite to cut down the cals.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #11  
living in the moment

S/C/G: 100kg/81.2kg/58kg

Height: 158cm

Default meal replacement

hi everyone,
i was just reading your posts and i thought you might be interested to know someone who is using optifast - me!

so, i've lost some weight, about 14.6 kilo's actually. ⅓ of the way to my goal. i weigh in again tuesday. if i haven't lost (i've been on 4 plateaus already) i don't know what i'll do.

i MUST step up the exercise to SOME from NONE. that's first.

then , well i must follow 100%. i do mostly. i am committed , dedicated, this is my last go.

i'm in ketosis but i skipped breakfast because saturday night i had a 20 gram-ish piece of nougat, and i am obsessing about it. so i'm now worried about not eating enough, and putting my body into a starvation mode which i don't want. grrr

anyway, tomorrow morning - maybe even tonight - i will start again with my exercise. yich, i hate exercise.

but i love my dreadmill for some reason. it's perfect. it sits in our comfortable spare room, under a fan, and i can hear music, telly, anything i want in there. it's close to my DH and pups too.

so, no excuses.

then i have strength-building stuff. dumbells and a stretch band. i keep them by the couch and do them in front of the tv, 3x a week, very comfortable-like. i'm so spoilt.

anyway the point of this post is to tell you i'm on optifast and losing. it seems to work when nothing else ever did. i'm 55 so i have been around, and tried EVERYTHING since i was about 15.

love and kisses to you all, i would enjoy a response and i will answer any questions. cheers, saraphin xxx
saraphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

I recently read about "I Love This Diet" on another thread, and I have started doing something similar for the past three days. I make my breakfast, then eat a SmartOnes, Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice with added vegetables for lunch and dinner. I have fruit and cottage cheese or yogurt for snack. I plan to do this for seven days, then weigh myself.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/154

Height: 5'7"

I've found a couple of protein bars (after trying a lot of different ones) to have on hand as a quick snack or a meal replacement if I'm running late or something comes up that keeps me from making a proper meal.

I like Oh Yeah! good grab bars (180/190 cal, 14/15g protein depending on flavor) and PowerCrunch wafer/creme bars (200 cal, 13g protein).

The Powercrunch Peanut Butter Chocolate remind me of Little Debbie's Nutty Bars...not quite as sweet, but a damn decent replacement if a sweet tooth creeps up. The chocolate mint is also very pleasant as a treat. Most of the Oh Yeah! flavors are good and these are more like a candybar texture with the chewier center with a chocolate or peanut butter shell (sort of like a Baby Ruth).

Max of one a day since I like to limit the amount of processed foods I eat, but sometimes its nice to have something that feels like an indulgence even when its not. The protein and carb grams are pretty balanced with both bars. They do contain sugar, but the sugar grams are fairly low.
LesMillsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #14  

Hello all,
I just started The Simple Diet yesterday! I have a lot to lose. I've been on the HMR program before, more than once, and was successful - but there always came a point where I was out of money and just couldn't pay that extra monthly bill (I wasn't insured). I am using Spiru-tein whey shakes (bought on Amazon), and so far they really good, as good as HMR, and they shake up nice and thick. I'd love to chat with others doing The Simple Diet. Just joined this forum. Hope to find like-minded souls!
Au_Contraire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #15  

Hi,
I am starting the Simple Diet tomorrow. I will be using Ideal Shape Shakes. I have played around with the diet but will begin tomorrow again. I have about 100 lbs. to lose.
CajunAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote