Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Granddaughter told me I was fat

My granddaughter is 4 and yesterday she said to me "your getting really fat. Right, nonnie?" I know she's just a kid and I laughed it off but I've been really upset about it and can't stop crying over it. As it is, I'm constantly beating myself up for gaining so much weight back. I feel like it's not worth it to try anymore. I know I'm fat but I guess it hurts to hear from an innocent child...she's only telling the truth and she never meant to hurt me. Wasn't sure how to handle it and I'm too ashamed to talk to my husband and daughter about it. I just feel so stupid for crying over something a child said. I'm severely depressed and have been for months, I guess this just topped the cake. I don't really have a question, just needed to vent about it to someone.
Anyone else have this happen?
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #2  
Drive away-not drive thru

S/C/G: 324/ticker/176

Height: 5'11

Out of the mouths of babes... I've had this happen to me before. It really does hurt, especially if you're feeling low to begin with.

Some unsolicited advice: Stop beating yourself up about the weight you've regained. I gained back 40lbs of my previous loss and it absolutely destroyed my confidence and self esteem. I wasn't able to get back on track until I accepted that I made some pretty big errors in priorities and ate myself back up to a weight that was embarrassing and depressing. As soon as I got over myself, I was able to focus and start losing again.

Sure, it sucks knowing I'm dieting to get back to where I was (which was not even my goal) and then knowing that I have more to lose on top of it... yeeeesh, it feels pretty endless at times.... but it's worth it. I'm worth it. You're worth it. Everyone on this board wants to get to a healthy/happy weight. We're all worth it! It's a journey, and there might be pit stops, side roads and flat tires along the way, but if you continue driving, you'll make it there.
(Unless your metaphorical car explodes. In that case, I recommend seeing a mechanic).

Chin up luv!
HealthyTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

Kids say what they see...and mostly it is true(( i have faced with their "cruel" wrods few times. Though those kids were not of my family still it was very sad to hear. I also was cryingI... Already few kids of my friends told me that i gained weight(( I used to be very skinny. Those kids remember me when i was skinny and see me now...when i am not skinny at all((( I also answered with smiles and laughter but inside i was crying...What can you do with it? Just take your weight under control! I know it's hard...but we need to start the fight with weight..
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 4'

Default Yes

I usually use it as a motivation maker- if your anything like me I like to just put it out of my mind and go about my life, but sometimes we need something to open our eyes. I just graduated from nursing school and the pictures at graduation were an eye-opener for me. I have decided it is time to focus on me and getting my life back. You can do it too!
jbf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone.I'm trying to get myself out of this cycle, but each time I gain back weight I have lost it just eats away at my self esteem. The problem is, a few years back when I was at 175, I remember thinking I was fat. I'm never skinny enough, it's never enough to make me happy. I've figured out that to be truly happy I have to love myself, but I don't even now how to begin to do that. It's gotten so bad that I will hardly leave the house for fear of seeing someone I kno because I know what they are thinking...she's gained all that weight back...again. they think it's simple, just stop eating. My mom, who has never been overweight, just tells me to stop eating so much. If it were only that simple.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 4'

I feel your pain. I always think if only... but we only have now. Time to start over
jbf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

First hugs.

Second (and i know this is easier said and done) try and uncouple your weight from how you feel about yourself. I've been nearly obese for a third of my life. And the things i'm proud of and the things i've failed at, none of them have had anything to do with my weight.

Take your grand daughter for instance and think about how much you love her and love spending time with her (I'm picturing my mom and my niece - they both adore each other). Your weight (other than a fact that she commented on) has absolutely no bearing on your love for each other.

Hope this reminds you how many other things there are define you and for you to celebrate that
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/165/140

Height: 5' 8"

I know it's discouraging, but try to wake up every morning feeling renewed. I starting my weight loss journey in January after a co-worker asked me if I was pregnant. I'm not. Granted, I was wearing an empire waist shirt and was very bloated. I couldn't be angry because she honestly looked excited for me lol! Anyway, I started out strong, lost interest, gained some back and am trying again. Everyday is a new opportunity, you decide what to do with it. Don't let your emotions dictate what you are going to do with your day, stick with your plan (you may need to put it on paper with some check boxes) (I'm a list person), be determined and optimistic!
FitFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

i think sometimes we are in denial about things, and when it is presented to us in a way that we can't look away from, it hurts. You are fat. It's a fact. Your granddaughter is 4, and she saw it and said it. Like she'd say "that bunny is brown. that school bus is yellow." we do that with kids "look at the truck honey, it's big and moving sand." But when they say something like "Auntie you have fat ankles" [yup, my niece said that and it is true] we think "Ack! Don't mention that! If you don't mention it I don't have to think about it!"

The thing is, my niece doesn't care that I have fat ankles. Like I didn't care that my nana had "ugly legs" which I told her when I was 4. (She did, they had veins that showed) but what I loved about her was a million other things about her. I was just pointing out a fact.

My feelings about my ankles aren't my nieces fault, and your feelings about your weight were there before your granddaughter said anything, she just shined a light on them.

Have you been to your doctor about your depression to talk about medical treatment for it?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 193/ticker/150

No advice... Just hugs. It will get better
summertime03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #11  
Less of a Better Me

Seagirl -- very good post
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone. Seagirl that's exactly true. I know I'm getting fat, but if I don't hear it out loud it's easier to deal with. No I haven't been to a doctor yet. Guess I was just hoping I could pull myself out of it but it's not working.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by startanew View Post
Thanks everyone. Seagirl that's exactly true. I know I'm getting fat, but if I don't hear it out loud it's easier to deal with. No I haven't been to a doctor yet. Guess I was just hoping I could pull myself out of it but it's not working.
I tried to pull myself out of it for years. The visit to my doctor was the best thing I ever did for myself, and the people who love me.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #14  

Well there is a difference between kids who call fat people names because they think it is funny and children who are innocently saying things and haven't learned the subtle art of filtering yet.

I do remember, though, being in the cafeteria waiting for my son to get out of class and listened to a group of girls ranging from 5 to 11 saying how they were getting fat and that their clothes made them look fat. Children learn at a very young age that fat is bad and makes you ugly. I never heard the girls say that being fat was unhealthy. Just ugly. Is it a wonder that as we grow older we develop poor eating habits, and then start dieting at a very young age? Then having body image issues that not only lead in to weight gain but eating disorders. One minute a child can make a statement of fact without understanding any ramifications. The next year they could be potentially falling into the same trap we have all been falling into.

I know this will probably be controversial but it also struck me that you laughed it off to a 4 year old. Your feelings were hurt and you stuffed them because you didn't want to "take it out on her for being truthful". Children need to know that you have feelings. They will learn from us how to stuff their feelings if we are always stuffing ours. You don't have to make her try to feel bad, but if you are hurt you can say "Grandma's weight is making her unhealthy and it's hard for her. But you lighten up my day! Let's go play ball, now, okay?" It addresses the issue factually but moves the conversation along with no guilt, dramatics, and hopefully no beating yourself up later.

I hope you feel better soon!
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Startanew, I'm sorry that your feelings got hurt. Like someone else said, she has not learned to choose her words carefully. I have a funny story that may make you chuckle. My friend had her young granddaughter at the mall and grandma had to visit the restroom. There was a line waiting, and grandma didn't want to leave the little girl standing by herself so she took her into the stall with her. When grandma pulled down her panties the granddaughter said "Boy Grandma, you have a big butt!" Everyone in the restroom heard her and started laughing....coming from a young child it WAS funny!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote