Old 06-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #1  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Default June WW Chat

Happy June! I hope everyone is well. The nice weather is helping to reach my weight loss goals, simply because I'm outside and being active. The scale is moving down each week, slow and steady.

How is everyone else doing?
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/174/147

Height: 5 ft 5 in

New to weight watchers switching from ideal protein. I know fruit is free but nothing is ever really free. Do you usually count your fruit as 1 point.
coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Hi all! I just started doing weight watchers about two weeks ago. I've done it before, but haven't really committed to it, but this time I really want to lose the weight I've gained in college. So far I've lost about 5 pounds, which is great for me in just a couple of weeks! I'm hoping to get to the point where I can actually SEE the difference soon.

coffeebean I don't count fruit as any points, but I try to limit my fruit intake to about 3 servings a day to make sure I'm not taking in a lot of excess calories there
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

I think I am going to show a gain when I weigh in Friday. I've had a good week in terms of how I'm eating and should theoretically lose about .6 of a pound. But, I was sick for a couple of weeks and didn't eat much and wasn't retaining many fluids so had a large weight loss last week that was really beyond what I actually lost. SO, this week I'm eating more normal so I've seen a pound gain even though I'm well within my points for the week. I expected this so I'm not too upset about it, but I would still prefer not to gain anything. As long as it isn't more than a pound I'm OK with it.

Last 4 weeks have been tough since due to a leg injury I have not been allowed to bear weight on my left leg. So I've been much more sedentary which I haven't liked. See the doctor tomorrow. Hope he says I can quit using walker.

Coffeebean - Fruit and veggies aren't "free". They are zero point foods. I don't count them in WW (I do count them when I count calories in MFP), but WW recommends 5 servings of fruits/veggies per day so I wouldn't ordinarily eat more than that.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #5  
Never Giving Up

to the WW thread CoffeeBean and GordonGirl16.

Today was an awesome day all around for me. First I had my WI and lost 2.5 lbs. Don't even know how that happened. lol. I think there might be something to rotating your points between high and low. but am not sure.

Later, I had a Dr. appointment for something that could have been very serious. Well, it wasn't serious at all, and I'm am good to go. So all that worrying for nothing. But, NSV I didn't use it as an excuse for stuffing myself with junk food.

Finally, tying this all in is the Beck Solution for the Day:

Wednesday Sabotage: Life is too short so I’m just going to eat this even though I know I shouldn’t.

Response: Actually, life is too short to be spent overweight, unhappy, and unhealthy. If I want to feel great and really live my life the way I want to, then I need to do what I can to maintain a healthy weight.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #6  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Does someone want to give me a good kick in the butt to drive me back to my WW meetings? Gah! I keep telling myself, "I'm going back next week, I'm going back next week", but you know how that is...."next week" never actually gets here. *L*

I mean, yes, I have the whole thing set up where I can count my points on MFP along with my calories, and I can always weigh myself each week. But it's the meetings and the camaraderie that I need, I think. Knowing that someone else is going to be seeing that number on the scale is extra motivation for me, you know?

And the calorie counting thing is just a dismal disaster for me. I mean, really. It just didn't work for me. Ugh. But hey, it's not for everyone, right?

I'm hoping June will be a good month for me.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 135/133/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
Does someone want to give me a good kick in the butt to drive me back to my WW meetings? Gah! I keep telling myself, "I'm going back next week, I'm going back next week", but you know how that is...."next week" never actually gets here. *L*

I mean, yes, I have the whole thing set up where I can count my points on MFP along with my calories, and I can always weigh myself each week. But it's the meetings and the camaraderie that I need, I think. Knowing that someone else is going to be seeing that number on the scale is extra motivation for me, you know?

And the calorie counting thing is just a dismal disaster for me. I mean, really. It just didn't work for me. Ugh. But hey, it's not for everyone, right?

I'm hoping June will be a good month for me.

I know that you mean! Once I can afford to I am going to go back to meetings, I think it's the extra motivation I need to stay on track. I am good at my diet for a few weeks, then I'll slip for a week, and it seems like those few pounds I lost over the few weeks, all come back in that one slip of a week. Ugh!
Aldergrove BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #8  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldergrove BC View Post
I am good at my diet for a few weeks, then I'll slip for a week, and it seems like those few pounds I lost over the few weeks, all come back in that one slip of a week. Ugh!
TELL ME ABOUT IT. The last time I went back, I lost something like six pounds over three weeks....then I had a bad week and gained back four of them. And then I was like, "Okay, well, the **** with this; I can *gain* weight on my own!"

Part of the reason that I find it hard to go back now is that, the first time around, I had this really AWESOME leader who was just so motivating. And then she quit due to health reasons, and the new leader....well, she's nice, but she's not as motivating as the old leader. She says the same thing over and over and over. And she's very long-winded, which would be fine if she was saying something to motivate us, but she's not. I mean, she repeatedly mentions her own weight loss (35 pounds, 25 years ago!) and her husband, and the actual amount of helpful information she gives us is negligible. So I have a very hard time going to her meetings (she runs the morning meeting.)

I used to go to the evening meeting (which is run by a different, more engaging leader) but the thing is, I started out going to evening meetings the first time around and I caught myself, after a while, doing ridiculous things to try and make sure that I weighed as light as possible because I knew I'd have extra weight on due to it being in the evenings. I know that sounds dumb, but it's true. I need to convince myself, though, that it doesn't *matter* if I weigh heavy in the evenings, as long as I choose to go to the evening meetings on a consistent basis. Does that make any sense? *L*
Old 06-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #9  
Less of a Better Me

Snoofie

Go back to the meetings. I say this as a regained lifetime member who didn't go back for years and ended up eventually at almost 40 pounds more than my original starting weight!

Go to the evening meeting. I got to lifetime way back when going to a meeting right after I got off work. Yes, I did do some stuff that some might thing was kind of ridiculous. I tried to wear clothes of similar weight each week. I also tried to eat mostly the same things each week. Same breakfast, same lunch. And, after lunch I didn't eat and I tried not to drink too many fluids (I would take a drink if thirsty but only enough to alleviate the thirst).

The thing is that the first weigh in at the evening time was a lot more than it would have been for a morning weigh in, but by doing the same things on that day each week I felt like the weight losses (or gains) each week were accurate.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #10  
Up and at 'em...again!

Thanks for the response, Koshka. I appreciate it.

Yep, next Wednesday I am going back to my evening meetings. No more excuses. I need the meetings, obviously; and the money? Well, frankly, I've spent more money on more useless things! *L*

I'm just so tired of trying to "guess" what to do, you know? I know calorie counting works for SO many people...but for me it just didn't. I'm tired of trying to guess what number of calories to eat. I read the post yesterday about the Chrome/Firefox add-on for counting WW points on MFP, and I got all excited about it..but then I realized, no, doing both at the same time is not for me. I need to focus on either one or the other, and why not concentrate solely on WW since I *know* that it's worked for me in the past?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
I used to go to the evening meeting (which is run by a different, more engaging leader) but the thing is, I started out going to evening meetings the first time around and I caught myself, after a while, doing ridiculous things to try and make sure that I weighed as light as possible because I knew I'd have extra weight on due to it being in the evenings. I know that sounds dumb, but it's true. I need to convince myself, though, that it doesn't *matter* if I weigh heavy in the evenings, as long as I choose to go to the evening meetings on a consistent basis. Does that make any sense? *L*
Makes total sense, I did the same thing. I went to a Wednesday 7 PM meeting, so I didn't want to eat dinner before I went, because then I'd weigh in heavier. So I'd wait till after, and be starving by the time I got home. (I get home from work at 4:30 and usually eat around 6:30)

When I mentioned that to the lady who was weighing me in, she wasn't very understanding about it, and said...

"it doesn't matter if you eat dinner or not before you come, if you weigh in at the same time every week, your weight loss will show up"

Which totally makes sense! But she said it all snarky and made me feel like a complete as*

I don't like the leader there either, so I think I am going to try a Saturday morning meeting, which is a little further to go, but I have Saturdays off, so why not
Old 06-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #12  
Never Giving Up

That WI lady is just plain wrong, the weight of your food before you digest it will affect your weight loss. How could it not? You don't want to get discouraged and give up when you follow the plan and then end up not losing it gets frustrating. Same goes for TOM or poo issues.

When I went for my Dr. appointment the nurse was almost concerned because I showed a ten pound weight loss since last month. I told her don't worry, I'm on a diet. Besides I didn't lose ten pounds. . .I recall that I needed to use the bathroom and I had heavy shoes on when they made me step on the scale the second I entered the exam room.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #13  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldergrove BC View Post
"it doesn't matter if you eat dinner or not before you come, if you weigh in at the same time every week, your weight loss will show up"
OH MY GOD NO.

That's.....not the case.

Or, I should say, it's not the case for me. If I eat before I weigh in, it's going to show on the scale. And I might be wrong (I'm not a doctor) but...to me, it makes sense that at least *some* of what you eat a certain time before your weigh-in is going to show up, unless you've had time to digest it completely. I think Snarky Weigh-In Woman was incorrect on that one.

When I used to go to Wednesday night meetings, I would arrange my meals so that I ate something approximately three hours before my weigh-in (so, around 3 PM.) My meeting was at 6:30 and ended at 7, so I still wasn't going an incredibly long time without eating. But sure as you're born, on the few occasions when I *did* eat closer to the time of my weigh-in, I would show a 2-3 pound gain that would "mysteriously" be gone the next morning....and then, the next week, I'd have, like, a five-pound loss (because the 2-3 pounds from what I'd eaten before my previous weigh-in wasn't actually a gain.)

It could be different for different people, though.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #14  

Yup, same for me. I'd be at least 2 lbs heavier after I eat a meal, which is gone the next morning. That's a good idea though, have a snack a few hours before, that way I am not starving, then have my dinner after, if I want to go to the evening meetings.

Since I don't really like the leader there tho, I am going to give the further away one a try, it's only 15 min drive. The one that's close if only a 2 min drive which is nice, but I'll see which group I like better then decide. Hopefully I can go back soon
Old 06-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #15  
Up and at 'em...again!

I envy people who have multiple WW meetings to choose from! *L* While the town I live in isn't tiny (13,000 people) there are only two meetings to choose from. But it's the same group, just that there's one meeting at 9:30 Wednesday morning and another at 6:30 Wednesday night. Not much of a choice there! *L*

I'm actually looking forward to going back to my meetings, even though I'm going to have to pay for the next little while (I have about 20 pounds to re-lose.) I miss the women in my group!