Old 06-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default ISO: Motivation and Consistency

I've been a WW member before and lost 25 lbs so I know it works. I went through a divorce and did the divorce diet, losing the last 50 lbs. 5 years later, I've gained most of it back. So when an At Work meeting started I jumped at it. The problem is, we're nearing the end of our 2nd session (17 weeks the first time, 12 the 2nd) and I've GAINED. I keep losing 1.8, then gaining 2.5. Then I lose .8, then gain 1. I've tried SS and tracking during this time. I do really well tracking for a week and then I fall off. I drink the Kool Aid - I do what our leader tells us: grocery shop, plan, get activity in but it still all only works for a few days. Then I end up with rotting fruits and veggies and abandon all plans.

I'm looking for some ways that you stay motivated on WW. How do you do it day by day, week by week?
kidlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #2  
Less of a Better Me

I have 2 responses. One more motivation related and the other more practical.

Motivation

I have been where you are in terms of being on program for awhile and then falling off. I'm a regained lifetime member and I've gone back countless times, done well and then fallen off.

I believe that this time I won't do that and will get back to my goal weight. I do sometimes wonder about why I think this time is different.

I remember 10 years or so ago, maybe 15, when I kept going back for a meeting or two then losing track and gaining what I had lost, then I would go back and do well for a week or 2 or 3 and then would regain. I did this a number of times.

I finally realized that while I did want to be thinner, losing weight was not the most important thing to me. I had lots of things that were more important to me. I was very busy and stressed at work. I had 3 kids at home. I enjoyed certain foods and really didn't want to limit them or give them up. If I went on a vacation going out to all the nice restaurants and eating what I wanted to was, in truth, more important to me in the moment than eating the way I needed to eat to lose weight.

At some point, I just acknowledged all that and admitted to myself that I wasn't really committed to doing what I needed to do to lose weight. Since I wasn't really committed to it -- although I did want to be thin -- I was spinning my wheels trying at that time.

So, I just quit trying then. What I should have done (didn't do though) was try to make a commitment to simply maintain my weight. That was something I might have had more success with at that point. (In reality I stuck my head in the sand and gained weight).

More practical

It is possible that you are more committed to doing what it takes than I was at that time. But, your strategies aren't working. I notice that you are 5'4" tall, as am I. If you started at 160 then you are 14 pounds away from the top of your goal range. As you get closer to the goal range it is harder to create the calorie deficit to lose weight. I've found that being active helps a lot. If you don't exercise (I don't know if you do or not) then adding in something to burn a few hundred more calories a day might help.

Last edited by Koshka; 06-21-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Wow. I never thought of it like that - either way Koshka. Thank you!
kidlets is offline   Reply With Quote