Old 06-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 245.6/CW 203/GW 170

Default Frustrated...

This will be my 8th month on IP, and I have lost 49 pounds so far; the most I've ever lost on any diet plan. However, my weight loss has slowed down this past month, and I can't figure out why. I've already hit a plateau earlier this year, and I feel like I've hit another one, but I'm not sure if that's possible. My total weight loss in May was 1.5; it went up and down constantly, and I feel it's continuing into this month. My goal was to be at 160 (or stopped at 170 if I felt comfortable with it) by the first day of summer, which is next Saturday. But by the way I'm going, that goal may not be reached for a long time. My TOM started to regulate when I started this diet back in October. However, it normally comes on the 6th or 8th every month. Well, here it is, the 15th, and even tho I feel it's any day now, I still haven't gotten it. Blah.

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I'm at a stand still...
scottysgirl7682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/ticker

Height: 5'7"

I'm sure somebody with more experience and wisdom will reply, I haven't been on IP that long, but I just thought I'd ask if you've had your thyroid levels checked? The thyroid can cause weight loss issues.
sweetharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #3  

I had a blood test done a couple months ago for my physical, but my doctor never said anything about my thyroid. I don't think I've ever had a problem with that. I just started a new job last month, and won't be receiving health insurance until the end of the month. If by then I'm still experiencing this issue, I'll ask my doctor about it. Thanx, I never thought of that...
Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #4  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure if pregnancy is a possibility for you, but this diet DOES get affect fertility -- is that at all something to look into?

Anyone on this long term will tell you there are lots of times that feel like a "stall" but it has to be several weeks with no change. Are you noticing changes elsewhere (fat loss?, inches?) I feel your frustration-- I feel that way when I have a bad WEEK let alone a bad month
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #5  

I had the same problem and have struggled ever since to get to goal, although I've kept my weight off

I HIGHLY suggest you get a thyroid panel done (not just TSH, as many docs test) and have it reviewed by someone who really understands thyroid (again, not all docs do - although they won't admit it).

IP and other PSMF diets can be very hard on thyroid (we hear things like starvation-mode and metabolism slowing as we lose weight...this is all really thyroid-related). Most people get on the maintenance plan and their thyroid bounces right back. Others (like me) not so much. I'm still struggling to get to goal and to regain optimal thyroid function.

A note on thyroid testing & interpretation by many doctors: there is a difference between being in the "average" range and having optimal functioning. Averages include all the people with thyroid problems. I want to be optimal!

I had actually had a complete eval shortly before I started IP & my TSH was "within range" at that time. Five months in, my TSH skyrocketed (high TSH = low thyroid function). At that point, I cut soy protein and gluten, knowing those can also be hard on thyroid. Doing so caused me to switch many of my products to alternatives (such as Quest bars, Simply chips, and other restricteds with no soy protein or gluten).By 10 month-in, I had stalled, like you, just fluctuating the same 1 or 2 lbs.

After doing a lot of reading, I tried to do a carb cycling approach. That got off about 5 more lbs but still never got me to normal BMI. How I did that: cycled through the phases. two weeks P2, two weeks p3, two weeks p4 then back on P1.

I've been focusing on maintenance for about the past year to heal my thyroid but by the end of summer, I'm probably to try P1 again, with more close medical supervision at a different clinic.

This is incredibly frustrating and I hope it is not what is happening to you but I sure hope you get it checked out, even if a thyroid test is paid for out-of-pocket. Much of my work on restoring my health has not been covered by insurance. They'll cover pills to mask the symptoms but not a true treatment to reverse the problem.

Last edited by lisa32989; 06-15-2014 at 10:17 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #6  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

You might also want to have your cortisol level checked. It probably isn't that, but you certainly want to rule it out. Elevated cortisol will absolutely STOP weight loss and nothing will be effective until you resolve that . . . so it is something to make sure of.

Hang in there. Hopefully, you will power through this and repaid with a "whoosh" very soon.
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #7  

Thyroid issues and adrenal issues go hand-in-hand. Cortisol issues are one indicator of adrenal issues. The problem for me has been finding someone skilled in management and restoration of proper functioning, rather than someone who will just prescribe a pill to fix the symptoms.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I'm not sure if pregnancy is a possibility for you, but this diet DOES get affect fertility -- is that at all something to look into?

Anyone on this long term will tell you there are lots of times that feel like a "stall" but it has to be several weeks with no change. Are you noticing changes elsewhere (fat loss?, inches?) I feel your frustration-- I feel that way when I have a bad WEEK let alone a bad month
No, pregnancy is not a possibility (my boyfriend and I are waiting until we're married). It could be thay the stress in this new job gets to me sometimes, but im not taking it out on food. Maybe upping my water will work? I dont know. Im not much for hitting the gym, and i got back to working out last month, so it could be that too...
Old 06-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #9  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I would also get your blood work checked when your insurance kicks in.
I remember my last months of losing being very slow. Hang in there. I see you have started working out again. That could cause a temporary gain due to muscle increase, but ultimately will cause a higher metabolism and higher carb burn. Could you experiment with increasing your work out?

I know how frustrating it is to stay on track and not have the scale move! You have done so well losing 49 pounds!

Last edited by Maile; 06-15-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #10  
Reboot: 11/28/16

S/C/G: 275/190/257.7

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottysgirl7682 View Post
I dont know. Im not much for hitting the gym, and i got back to working out last month, so it could be that too...
Working out could definitely have an effect. The timing of restarting your workout coincides with your slowdown. I've been told that you may want to eat an extra pack on days you workout. Good Luck!
Rayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260

Height: 5'4

I find not eating after 6 o clock and having my restricted before lunch helps. Also drinking gallons of water and going number 2 a lot.
RenK is offline   Reply With Quote