Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #1  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Thumbs down What you should know about Body fat

I just got my Tanita scale that measures not only weight, but also body fat....(Love it....I just don't like what it tells me ) Tanita also suggests that we get a baseline for our weight/bodyfat. Basically weigh yourself daily for a week....and divide the answer by 7. There was also some useful info that I thought I would share with everyone, since scales and measuring has been a topic of discussion lately!!

A Special Message for Women:
Hydration Levels
Weight may fluctuate day to day, and so may body fat percentages-because weight is one of the fundamentals that determines body fat content. Much of this fluctuation depends on the body's state of hydration - or how much water it contains. Variations in hydration can be due to food, caffeine, or alcohol consumtion, medication, diuretics, streneuos exercise, stress or illness.
Menstruation
Women experience a much greater change in hydration levels throughout their menstral cycle. Therefore, female users of this scale should be aware of their monthly cycles when establishing a baseline for body fat and afterward during their regular monitoring program.
Menopause
Hormonal Chanes due to menopause also cause water retention and variations in measuring.
For Best Results for measuring Body Fat
To monitor progress, compare weight and body fat percentage measurements taken under the same conditions over a period of time.
* Be consistent-always measure at the same time of the day, preferably early evening.
* Always measure in bare feet
* Allow at leas three hours after rising, eating a big meal or excercise.
* Measure with out clothing
* measure after you have emptied your bladder.
Women have More Body Fat Than Men
By nature, a woman's body is developed to protector and a potential fetus. As a result, women have more enzymes for storing fat and fewer enzymes for burning fat.

It is much more than just weight

Woman A and B were the same height and weight, and had the same percentage of body fat when they started to diet. Each lost a total of 15 pounds over the same period of time. Although the results appear identical, Woman's A diet consisted simply of cutting calories. She lost weight, ut very little fat, so her body fat increased-she is actually fatter. Woman B's diet combined cutting calories with a program of excercise. In addition to the 15 pound weight loss, her body fat dropped to 16.6%

Just to give you a perspective, I weight 243 pounds and have a bocy fat of 51%.....eeeeeeeeekkkkkkks.

I hope you found this as thought provoking as I did. I learned a lot!!

Last edited by Monkeybabies; 01-22-2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:53 AM   #2  

Hmmm...why do you think they suggest weighing in the evening and at least 3 hours after you get up in the morning? I always weigh first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, but before I've had anything to eat or drink. I thought that it was most accurate then, but maybe not.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:59 AM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

That's when I weigh too. I wonder if I should be weighing when I get home from work instead, like at 4:45 - 5:00. Hmmm.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:19 PM   #4  
You can do it!!!!

I am not sure...but I think they were talking about when calculating your body fat. Body weight is different. I think when you calculate the body fat....you need to be well hydrated....and in the morning you are not. I believe that your "true" body weight is still in the morning after morning pee!!!!! Sorry if that was unclear...
Old 01-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I never found out what my body fat percentage was. I really don't need to hear that it was 90% at one point.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #6  

Default body fat

I hear ya pretty, going in on Sat to get mine tested, and not sure I want to know what it is! I am just hoping that the shock will be a strong motivator for me, because I know that it will be high. I am also going to get my blood levels checked so that I am starting this all right. I am nervous about getting all the information, but I really would like to know it so I know where to move from here. And for $20 I believe it will be money well spent!

Jodi
Old 01-22-2004, 03:16 PM   #7  
You can do it!!!!

Definitely worth the $$ Jodi!!!! I think doing the blood work is another great way to check our progress. Remember those NSV...can be just as important, if not more. Keep us posted....

BTW, I was floored to realize that 1/2 my body is FAT....ahhhhhhhh
Old 01-22-2004, 03:30 PM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Some inspiration for Miss Monkeybabies & others:

Someone posted this awhile back & I saved it. I think I need to print out 5 copies--one for my fridge, one for my desk, one for my car, etc.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #9  
You can do it!!!!

Thanks...I so...needed that reminder!!!!!!

EWWWWW...Let's get my body moving!!!! (TONIGHT)
Old 01-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #10  

i hear you gina. if that isn't motivation i don't know what is.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:31 PM   #11  
missaprylj

Yeah. I think i took mine in 8th grade, and I didn't follow all those wonderful restrictions, but mine was around 40% and i was so disgusted i almost fainted. (Target for women is 17-25, 30% being the "highest healthy")

Someday I'll do it again.

Old 01-23-2004, 03:43 AM   #12  
beautiful

i have a regular tanita scale and i love mine also. i was too scared to get the one that does body fat too. hehehehe

i dont remember ever having my body fat % done but i wouldn't be surprised if its up in the 80%'s. LOL

thank you for putting all that info in this thread. i'm going to wait to weigh until i after i fetch the child from school tomorrow.. er uh.... today. just to see if it will make any difference.
Closed Thread