Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Default Rude Comments from Strangers - Vent

So a most annoying thing happened today. Sorry, but I had to vent about it.

I started work around 3 weeks ago, and everyday I've seen the security guard in my office building. He's generally a nice old guy, and while I've never had any extended conversations with him, we've always greeted each other in the morning and exchanged general pleasantries if we met through the day. Because he sits in the lobby all day, he sees me when I go for a walk, to pick up lunch, etc. I don't normally have breakfast. Every now and then, I pick up lunch for both me and my coworker when she's too busy to leave her desk, and when he sees me carrying food for two, he passes random comments like, "Oh, big lunch", which I generally ignore. Today, though, he really pissed me off.

I stepped outside after reaching work at 8:30 am to get breakfast, and he just mentioned, "Oh, you're having breakfast today?" which was fine since he noticed it was out of the ordinary. A few hours later at about 1 pm, I went out for lunch. When he saw me going, he pulled this exaggerated face and said, "You're having LUNCH now? YOU shouldn't be eating that much!" He actually emphasized on the 'YOU'.

Don't get me wrong, I know I'm big and I haven't put in half as much effort as I should to lose weight, but what the ****? I wasn't hurt or anything as much as I felt pissed off. Who is he, as almost a complete stranger (he doesn't even know my name) to make that kind of comment? It's not like I had breakfast, then brunch an hour later and a big lunch right after that, I just had both breakfast and lunch for once. Even if I did decide to stuff my face every 15 minutes, it is none of his damn business. What was worse is that he said it loudly when several people were hanging around, and they turned to look. It was so embarrassing! I just turned to him and said "I don't believe my eating habits are any of your business". I smiled and said it politely, although in retrospect I wish I had been more rude, because he just laughed and went back to his desk.

Why do people do that? What makes some people think that they have the right to make these statements without even knowing a person?
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Ha, he sounds like my dad! I'm sorry that happened, plain and simple, he's a buttinsky jerkface. If he mentions anything else ask him if his job description includes policing peoples food choices or if he includes the douchbaggery free of charge.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #3  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

awwww it's almost like you don't know the world is full of a$$holes LOL

My old neighbour saw a McDonald's bag in my hand and said "you're too fat, you should stop eating that" He wasn't wrong LOL just obnoxious

But then I remembered my dear old dad telling me the world is full of a$$hats and it didn't bother me again
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #4  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

I am so sorry what a complete jerk. I do not understand people like that.

And duh most normal people eat breakfast & lunch and omg dinner too! Shocking lol
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #5  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

Ignore him from now on and eventually, his comments will go away. All that will be left is a feeling of disdain (by both of you).

I have experienced situations like this--you speak pleasantly to a stranger for a few weeks and then they feel obliged to take all kinds of liberties.

Yes, the world is made up of all kinds. A good chunk is comprised of people that have no filter, manners or sense.

Forget it. Not worth your time.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

So rude. He doesn't know you, doesn't know your story, and he doesn't have any business commenting on your food intake. Ugh, people like that drive me crazy. Like, do you stick your nose in his business? No. Keep up your hard work.
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Actually I think you responded very appropriately, if he has half a clue he should get the message.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #8  
Started 4th of July

S/C/G: 180/168/140

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I got family for those comments! I don't need strangers!
FinallyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am sorry that happened to you! I think that your comment was appropriate and a good way to deal with it. Now I think that you should ignore him. He is not worth your attention and any more interaction may encourage him.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

I will never get how people think it is ok to make comments like that. It would never occur to me to say anything like that. Even if I thought it was true, that's something that needs to stay inside your head!!!

I think you handled it well. If he says something like that again, then you have every right to be rude!!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #11  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Imagine when you lose your weight, when you hit goal, and he gets to realize it. Or he will never notice. Either way, screw him. Use the negative as motivation to get to the size you want.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #12  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

What a jerk, but you know what, you responded SO gracefully! You should be proud of yourself.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #13  
Started 4th of July

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
What a jerk, but you know what, you responded SO gracefully! You should be proud of yourself.
I agree!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #14  
Started 4th of July

Think on the really positive side. You not married to him!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

He's rude because he's ignorant and doesn't know better. Just feel sorry for him. And, I bet that several others that heard him were also thinking that he's rude. Just remember this...In your life, he simply just does not matter. Don't waste another thought on him.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote