Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default A month with no kitchen

That's right! What do I do? Have a mini fridge but that will be for my two babies. Month in a hotel. No restaurants either, but takeout okay.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Canned fish. Salad. That's lunch and dinner done.

Breakfast. Buy an egg cooker.

No excuses.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
That's right! What do I do? Have a mini fridge but that will be for my two babies. Month in a hotel. No restaurants either, but takeout okay.
Ok first, WHY??? And two, you can probably ask for a second fridge?

What we did for 6 weeks when we were totally gutting our kitchen (new floors, rearranging water, gas lines, etc) is that we bought a larger mini fridge and a single induction burner cooktop (here)

That $300 spent saved us several hundred dollars and that was for feeding 3 adults (my MIL lives with us) a teen and a 5 year old. We never used a microwave either.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Most fresh fruits and veggies keep well at room temperature, though not as long as when refrigerated. You could use a rice cooker to steam veggies, or using a burner like bbb mentioned, make one pot meals (e.g. pasta with veggies cooked all in the same pot).

I assume a microwave in the room? Lots you can do with that. Scrambled eggs, poached eggs, steam veggies, cook rice...

I'm sure it sounds overwhelming right now but with some planning and time I think you can make it work!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Some hotels even have long stay rooms - or some hotels specialize in that. When we were moving to this area, my husband stayed in one for a month while I stayed back packing and waiting for the house we bought to be available. It wasn't too pricey and it had a table for eating and a small kitchenette.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Sounds brutal eh? Its part of a cross country relocation, our moving company will take 3 weeks. We've done it before but it was so easy before with just one babe. I'll have a mini fridge and microwave. Just looking for ideas to stay on plan. My kids are 1.5 and 4 (autistic, going out to eat won't happen) so I am racking my brain how to do this. a second fridge? Never thought of that, thanks. I get $100/day food allowance so not worried about costs, just practicality!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do you not have an option to get a hotel with a kitchenette? If you are getting $100/day on food allowance, do you have any places that have prepared foods you can pick up? In the US, there are tons of options including places like Whole Foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

UGH!! I was 2 months sans apartment due to a flood this past winter - luckily I was able to stay with friends but it wasn't easy being in their way and using their kitchen all the time. The money I saved on rent was used on pre-made healthy meals from salad bars - things like pre-cut vegetables and fruit were a life saver. It was a far more wasteful life (in terms of packaging & recycling) but you gotta do what you gotta do. I also just ate less because I wasn't able to cook the big meals like I was used to.
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #9  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

If you are able, I would suggest invest in a crockpot. You can make full meals in that thing. There are plenty of recipes available online.

I would also suggest buying canned tuna and salmon. If you're not opposed to carbs, I would suggest trying the new Marie Callender Easy Sides. They're packs of pasta that you just cut the top off of, add water into the bag and microwave. Surprisingly good.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote