View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #67

S/C/G: 260/155/155

Height: 5'6"

Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Exactly! And by denying that food addiction exists (which is exactly what YOU said), you not only diminish those who've experience it, you deny their very experience.

If you found the right method by denying YOUR addiction, then you were never an addict.

I also did not say that you did not face your own struggles, just that you cannot fully understand mine, nor can I fully understand yours. That's not diminishing either.

If you've never eaten food from the trash or gotten into a car accident because you were more interested in the donuts on your passenger seat than the road ahead, you cannot possibly understand the extreme power food can have over a person's life.

It's one thing to say "I am not a food addict, just because some people thought I was," and an entirely different (and deeply disrespectful and offensive) thing to say food addiction does not exist, especially directly to the people experiencing it.
I've stayed out of this (i think, LOL) but i agree. I believe that i am a food addict and HAVE to take measures in my life to manage it which is how i lost 100 lbs, facing that fact and realizing i have to put restrictions in place, much like how i had to quit smoking because at age 19, i was headed toward 3 packs a day addiction but with food obviously there cannot be abstinence. I don't think calling food an addiction takes away from the struggles others have with substance or alcohol or tobacco abuse or whatever else, how could it? Its MY personal experience, having an addictive personality. And I KNOW... food is an addiction of mine.
ReillyJ is offline   Reply With Quote