View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #62
maintaining since 9/2013

Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I want to thank you as well for sharing this. It seems it speaks to many of us and I know for me, there were parts that were exactly what I have felt and been through over the years.

I haven't read this whole thread, so I might be asking something you already answered, but how have you been managing this food addiction? Are you abstaining from sugar and/or carbs? I have found this to be the most effective way to manage this addiction for me, but at the same time I have difficultly with feeling restricted, as that leads to a binge as well.

You are so right to refer to it as a monster. It absolutely is a monster. It seems to be the last addiction that does not receive support or validation from society. I see so many programs for drug addicts, alcoholics, or even gamblers. Tell someone that drugs addicts are lazy and should stop through will power, and you would get a ration of sh!t, but its perfectly acceptable to say that about "fat" people. Its perfectly acceptable to say we are lazy and weak...I feel that food addiction is really shamed in the public eye and in my opinion, that makes it harder for many people to seek help. We feel that unless we are 80 lbs and obviously anorexic, that we do not have an eating disorder, we just need to try harder and put down the fork... and so we continue to deal with shame and guilt and feeling like failures....which only drives us towards our drug of choice. Its a very sad and lonely cycle.
I agree wholeheartedly.

I haven't solved my issue but recognizing it as an addiction has helped me a lot. FWIW, here is what I am finding helpful lately:
1) restricting sugar/refined carbs to social occasions, ie weddings, graduations, parties, get-togethers. My social life makes these no more than once/week usually. It might not work if you have more frequent events
This keeps me from feeling deprived and also takes away the stress of white-knuckling while others around me indulge. The rest of the time I avoid those things. Sometimes I slip, but generally not.

2) Three books have been especially helpful The End of Overeating by David Kessler; Addiction & Grace by Gerald May (there are references to religion in this one that don't fit me at all but I find the book overall very helpful). Brain over Binge by Kathryn Hansen.

3) acceptance that I will have to work at it every day--it's hard work. I still relapse into thinking I deserve or can get away with or "need" my fix. That's hard-wired into my brain. I'm working on strngthening the other part of brain that goes for delayed gratification.

Btw, many alcohol rehab professionals view alcohol addiction as fundamentally an addiction to sugar.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote