Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/239/165

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Default Frustrated!

My name is Jaza and I'm 16 about to be 17 in 9 days, I've been struggling with my weight since the 6th grade. I had got really depressed after my mom had remarried and I turned to food as my comfort. I am a athlete and I honestly think if I wasn't I would be double the size. It's so hard going to high school heavy but I always put up a fake smile and act like it doesn't bother me. At times it can get so depressing and discouraging and for a long time I thought it was fate that I was suppose to be fat and why bother trying when I'm only gonna set myself for failure. I've never been on this site before and hoping I can do this with love support well yea lol. This is do or die for me. Below is something I wrote this morning.

I woke up today with one thought in my mind. How did I ever allow myself to get this big. I'm an athlete, and I'm only 17. I currently weigh a whopping 245 pounds and I have had enough. I've had enough of always behind my team mates or the last one to finish. I'e had enough of constantly struggling to breathe as I walk up my school steep steps. I told myself, this is it. I will never weigh another pound over 245 pounds. It only takes 21 days to break a habit and start a new one. For those 21 days I will NOT consume anything but water and tea. For those 21 I will develop healthy eating habits. For those 21 day I WILL not NOT back down and I WILL push my self harder than I have ever did in my life. I plan to surround my self in a good environment that will allow my self to succeed and write in a forum to give me the strength when I just want to quit.
just88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #2  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

First hun I think you should talk to your parents or a school counselor. They will be able to get you the help you need to make sure you do this healthy & succeed. Your parents can take you to the doctor who can advise you as well.

I would like to tell you that rome was not built in a day. Losing weight takes time and effort. All that weight will not just go poof, nor will you lose as fast as you want to. But you can do it!

The 21 day habit thing is a myth. It is not true. How long it takes to break a habit just really depends on the habit and the person. But setting a monthly goal is a good start to keep yourself focused.

I am hoping that by not consume anything but water and tea you meant drink wise and not that you would not be eating right? Giving up sugary sodas and juices is a great start. But eating is important. Focus on small steps like adding in lots of veggies and fruits. Switching to whole wheat. The important thing is to just stick with it, everyday. If you mess up just learn from it and do better tomorrow.

You can do it!
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonkissed View Post
I am hoping that by not consume anything but water and tea you meant drink wise and not that you would not be eating right? Giving up sugary sodas and juices is a great start. But eating is important. Focus on small steps like adding in lots of veggies and fruits. Switching to whole wheat. The important thing is to just stick with it, everyday. If you mess up just learn from it and do better tomorrow.

You can do it!
Yes to all of this.

You don't need to starve and punish yourself to reach your goals, but you may benefit from making a realistic plan and sticking to it. Focus on getting enough fruits and vegetables into your meals.

My nutritionist used to say 1/2 of your plate should consist of non-starchy vegetables. An egg omelette with plenty of veggies is a great breakfast. A salad, soup, or wrap with a bunch of veggies in it for lunch. Snacks of veggies with dip or fruits. At dinner make sure that when you plate your food, 1/2 of it is veggies, and your protein and starch count for the other 1/4 and 1/4 respectively.

I would also talk to your parents regarding your decision. They may be able to help by providing healthier meals and you can even find recipes that look good that you can cook with them.

Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #4  
Optifaster

S/C/G: 355/*Pokes tracker*/185

Height: 5'1

*HUGS*

I've been there, and in some ways I still am LOL. This site is a great help, and I for one am proud of you for finding it and coming here. It takes strength to make that first step

I agree with everything that the people above have already said, and I'd like to add.. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Making changes takes time, perseverance and strength. Think of it like learning whatever sport you play.. you weren't an expert over night, it takes practice and hard work.. same thing applies to weight loss. The food you put into your body is the fuel that runs it... also the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn a day so that's also a fun thing to consider

It's a rough road, but you'll get there I believe in you!
Fawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

Hi, starving yourself is not the answer because water and tea is starvation.

You need to see a doctor that can help you achieve your goal in a healthy way. You are quite young and I will say at an age where eating disorder develop. Dont do that to yourself. Just dont start this pattern.

You can reduce your portion a little a few spoon less, you can cut on soft drink and replace by water but dont cut food, make little changes that you can do for the rest of your life.

wishing you open up to your parents and tell them what you just wrote.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #6  

there was a lot of confusion in my post.. I didn't meant the only thing I'm going to drink is water or tea. Like I'm giving up sodas.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #7  

I did not say I was going to starve myself (I'm not stupid)... -__- I said I was going to start developing healthier eating habits...which means I'm going to be eating. I have went to the nutrient doctor person..I have spoken to my parents...I know to eat fruit and veggies...The whole 21 days thing is just a start for me...I'm a very visual person and if I see progress then I get more motivated. So thanks for the support I guess.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Hey and welcome! Not to sound like an old fart, but a lot of us here have been through it all - we've been around the block a few times gaining, losing, regaining, losing, maintaining, etc. There is a lot of valuable information in these boards.

What I'm getting at is, don't be too quick to dismiss the advice to eat more veggies and fruits, etc - we may all "know" that this is what we should do but it's not the only way to do it.

A lot of us have done the 3 week kickstart and have been either successful or unsuccessful with it and a lot of us haven't gone that route at all. There is A LOT to learn about this whole weight loss thing and there are so many theories and methods that it can take a while to find what is right for you. We are all constantly learning as we go and I know it can be difficult when we are young to understand that although we feel we know so much now, there is yet still so much to learn - hence why these boards are so helpful because you get to hear from so many others' experiences.

For example, A lot of people here have had success with low carb diets. Others are calorie counters. More still might prefer simple portion control. I've just heard of a new one myself - intermittent fasting - I still don't quite understand what it is but it just goes to show you that there are many "right" ways to go about losing weight.

We are here to help you and offer advice that has been coloured from our own experiences and it is up to you to take from that what you will. It just seemed to me that your last post was a little defensive and that might be because you are just starting out and are frustrated with everything but i wish you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss us - I don't think anyone was trying to hint at you being stupid but you did say that you would "not consume anything but water and tea" and as crazy as it sounds there have been people who have come on these boards saying just that and were actually being literal which can be very alarming.

So i wish you all the strength to carry on with your commitment to getting healthy, ask all the questions and don't worry if you get overwhelmed. Weight loss is a long term project, not a race to the finish line.

Goodluck!

btw, you're already on the right track - it takes a lot of courage just to even start all of this and so far you've taken good steps to set yourself up for success. That in itself is something to be proud of!

Last edited by kaybee1; 06-06-2014 at 10:22 PM.
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #9  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by just88keys View Post
I did not say I was going to starve myself (I'm not stupid)... -__- I said I was going to start developing healthier eating habits...which means I'm going to be eating. I have went to the nutrient doctor person..I have spoken to my parents...I know to eat fruit and veggies...The whole 21 days thing is just a start for me...I'm a very visual person and if I see progress then I get more motivated. So thanks for the support I guess.
It is so difficult to always get the whole picture from a single post. We were just attempting to be helpful but cautious This is really a great forum with alot of very helpful & supportive people.

I am very visual too. I blog & love to write and make charts & goal boards and such lol. Instagram & pinterest can be every so helpful. I am a pinterest addict and you can make like a fitness quote board for motivation, one for all the clothing you will want to wear, one for recipes you wanna try. It is such huge inspiration to me!
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote