Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-26-2014, 05:06 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat May 26 - June 1

I tip my hat to all the spelling guru's doing maintenance - there's a lot of you geniuses. Despite knowing the mantra, Correlation does not imply Causation, I gotta wonder if the Spelling Diet might make us all rich. Dr. Oz could declare that learning to spell makes the pounds fall off - without exercise. We'll make our money by publishing lists of the words with their ounces lost value. We'll use scientific reasoning to determine the list.

My challenge is to stop chomping the cough drops. They're becoming addictive as sugar bursts even when I don't need them for the cough. This brain will grab anything with fat-sugar-salt and try to justify more-more-more.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Re the "Spelling Diet" but why not? Dr. Oz seems to be endorsing a lot of things that are "less than mainstream" these days.

And re the cough drops I had that problem too. I tried sugarless ones but they produced stomach upset and I found I craved them too after awhile. It's hard to rewire a brain that responds favourably to anything sweet/salt/fat etc. My brain just doesn't get excited by the taste of broccoli, kale, etc.

I am glad to be home and am off to stretch - behind schedule due to an unexpected ebay password reset.

Good day all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Happy Monday all!
Planning on enjoying my day off while thinking of the veterans who have protected our freedoms and given their lives.

Planning on morning yoga and a family cookout later...

What do you all have planned?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We're about to head out for burgers for lunch. I though DS was going back to school in the early afternoon to try and get home at a decent hour, but his friend's Mom has a special dinner planned and DS has to take his friend back to UCLA so DS will be lucky to get home before midnight. Thankfully it's not finals week yet.

It's been a great, relaxing (but hot) weekend. We went to see X-Men (kitchen scene is hilarious) and Chef--very entertaining movie. In my spare time I prepared a jar of beet kvass and a crock full of jalapeņos en escabeche. They have to sit on the counter a couple of days to ferment and then the sampling begins.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I have the day off but did my BBQing etc over the last two days. I've been getting up early each day rather than sleeping in to walk the dog in the cooler part of the day I love it. Why is it so hard to get up early on the weekends in the winter? Probably the darkness. I've worked out each day, too and am enjoying the movement and sunlight. I've also caught up on house chores and made a batch of watermelon rind pickles. BF has a sunset cruise tonight and it will be an early bedtime for me. I'll be outside all day, most days this week.

Allison, what is beet kvass?

Bill, it seems anything that involves eating less rich food and moving one's body more will help take off the pounds, at least in almost any case. It's amazing, isn't it? Dr. Oz could endorse anything and I think it would succeed, lol. It's the Dr. Oz/Oprah effect.

Thinking of our veterans today.

Last edited by Megan1982; 05-26-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Megan~Becky told me about beet kvass. It's a drink derived from beets, whey water and salt and fermented so it has probiotics and help digestion. I bought a bottle of kombucha to see if I liked it (I do!) so I may make that next. I have yet to taste the beet kvass...

I feel so sorry for DS. He didn't get the early start he wanted. Left at 6 PM to take his friend back to LA before going south to Irvine. I doubt he'll be home before midnight due to the horrible traffic.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

So it seems I can't quite catch up in one day everything I've had to let slide for a month. Had a bit of a melt down yesterday late afternoon - literally and figuratively. Temps hit 29C up at my house. A/C wouldn't work. I had been up since about 2 a.m.

DH did figure it out but it took him a couple of hours. I was most apologetic later and I think he understood. Megan I now totally "get" what you were talking about last week re your being "hangry". I think in my case it was more "tigry" .

I've been quite overwhelmed since Sept. 2012. I need to take some sort of break from all the "house madness" but the hits just keep on coming. I'm finding I'm not rolling with the punches much at all any more.

It'd be nice to have a couple of clones of myself to divvy up all the work, errands, worrying, etc. etc.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Dagmar's next career should be robotics design.

I've seen many suggestions for robots to do errands, but her's is the first to suggest a robot to do worrying. Errands don't consume my life, but worrying does.

Hope you quickly patent your idea.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

I'll take one of Dagmar's worrying robots! I am pretty good about realizing when things are out of my control to just let it go, but sometimes, especially if it involves my children, I just can't let it go!

Had a relaxing weekend. This is the last week of school!!! I am working next week to do some extra projects but they pay me extra for that, so it is nice and no lesson plans/classes, makes it an easier week!

After that my traveling starts!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning all! We had a pretty good weekend. C took her first steps! It was bittersweet. I have been looking forward to them walking for so long but now that I saw her take three little steps I am sad that my baby girl is growing up. Pretty soon they won't be "babies" at all. Now I am sad that I'm at work because I miss them!

On the other hand they've also started fighting over their toys. It's pretty ridiculous. If one of them sees the other playing and comes over to play with the toy too, the first one will start shrieking and slapping at her sister's hands and face, then the second one starts shrieking and slapping too and it's a disaster. It's kind of funny because the shrieking reminds me of apes in nature documentaries fighting over food. Sadly it will be quite a while before they learn to share. For the moment we just separate them so they don't injure each other.

Dagmar, glad your DH was able to fix the AC. We had our AC serviced last week and the guy said that it was end of life and could fail any day. Sigh. Someone is coming to give us a quote on a new AC and potentially a new furnace this week. DH is grouchy about this, but we do have plenty saved up for precisely this kind of problem.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #11  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Hooray for short work weeks. :P I needed to get back to work to recover from my weekend. We had something like 50 guests for the BBQ - it's a lot of hassle and a lot of fun. Too much fun! I have some, okay, quite a lot of apologies to make to my liver.

Jessica, aw!!! I'm laughing about the slapfest, though.

Allison, thumbs up on the fermenting! Your innards will be so happy!

dagmar, I'm at my absolute worst with the combo of hot and tired. I hope you get some well-deserved rest soon and get the AC thing taken care of.

Bill, hide the cough drops.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Thinking back on my weekend, I just feel better about my life overall. I ran in a race, I loafed over the newspaper, I read Donna Tartt's first novel, I cooked just a little, I saw two documentaries, and unfortunately also had to get some work done.

The only thing I found that I don't like is that my peaceful shaded patio with its deep cushioned wicker chair is no longer a place of respite. The apartment directly across from me got bought out by the Co-op management and given to the new live-in superintendent, who's got three kids. And so now those three kids are out on the grounds yelling a lot. I'm not used to that, since despite having about 200 apartments between the three buildings, this place is nearly child-free. It's mostly an older crowd who sold their big houses in the area, moved here to get rid of maintenance duties & now like gardening and reading and often live in second or third homes for part of the year. The apartments aren't big. If kids live here, they get the former maid's bedrooms. Also we have all kinds of ordinances against leaving bikes lying outside, let alone toys or any such thing. No dogs allowed, of course, not even visiting. When a child comes, it's generally leashed like a dog. And they aren't very loud. So I think I'm gonna go fish out my noise-canceling headphones for when I sit out on the patio reading in the summer.

Last edited by saef; 05-27-2014 at 09:51 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Saef-- that does sound pretty terrific minus the children!

CalCounter-- a little jealous of you-- I have three more weeks. They're good and bad. I'm done seeing classes but my monumental task of inventory for over 36,000 books begins. Couple that with teachers/parents/students arguing/disagreeing over missing/lost books non stop. Plus approx 6,000 books are still checked out and need to be wrangled back.

I'm debating taking off next Monday though. I get two days off per year and I've only taken one. You take it or lose it. I'm going to the Lionel Richie/ Cee Lo Greene concert next Sunday night and it'd be nice not to have to work the next day. I bought the tix for dd and dh to go with me but he is leaving for China today so I asked my new friend and she said she could go. I think it will be a blast!

Jessica-- sorry for also laughing at the slapfest. Your method of separating them sounds the wisest. Yes, they grow up amazingly fast.

Off to inventory.... hope I survive....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #14  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Oooph Saef, I have to say those apartments sound like my version of ****. But I can think of few things better than laughing children, open spaces, no neighbors, and no covenants Ditch the dogs and bring on the kids, if you ask me

On the subject of noise canceling headphones, those are good for all sorts of things. It's one of those purchases you never regret, especially if you work in a busy or loud space.

As for us, we had an orthodontics check for my oldest. Her palate expander gets to stay in place for another three months and then we're onto the next phase of opening her mouth. It's amazing how much it has changed the structure of her upper jaw, and for the better. She had a pretty bad crossbite and it was one of those things that if not fixed fairly quickly was going to lead to permanent facial issues. Her teeth are still a bit crooked and she'll need braces when she is older, but her bite is more aligned and her teeth are straightening a bit on their own.

Afterward I generally treat the four kids to frozen yogurt next door to the orthodontics place. My oldest got full and tossed half of hers, which still amazes me. I never remember not finishing something delicious, even if I was stuffed to the brim. But she is naturally very lean and doesn't enjoy eating nearly as much as I did as a kid. My others are also fairly intuitive eaters, though they're stronger in build and bigger in appetite that the oldest.

I've felt pretty good the part few days. Exhausted, but only lightly nauseous. The biggest downside right now is that I am having a food aversion to the seafood I usually eat every day for lunch. I tried half a can of oysters today and it was a chore to get them down. That's unfortunate, as I love them and they're so nutritious.

I really need to get my butt off the couch, do dishes, and get in my piano practice before my lesson tonight. Off to do the next few things.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #15  

Saef, sounds awesome except the noise. Ahhh a weekend alone sounds great!

Michele, it's great we get out early but we have to be back on Aug 4th! It just feels so early! Take the day off! I get two days off also. I always use those two and then sometimes a couple without pay.

During the summer, which isn't quite here for me, but almost, I read like a maniac because I have no time during the school year. I wish I could say I read intellectual books, nope! I get on kicks like dog books (I know they are so sappy) but I love reading them! So this weekend I read Dean Koontz's book about his golden retriever Trixie. It was not the best dog book I've read but I still cried at the end. It was too long, a few too many details that didn't matter to the story. I've never read any of his best sellers because I'm too scared to read thrillers. Ridiculous, I know! But we each have out hangups. Started when I was in high school back in 1977. I remember because I was a junior and I lost so much sleep and couldn't do things because a book scared me so badly! It was Amityville Horror. Oh my gosh, I was afraid to be home alone, to babysit, even to walk down the hall alone, it was ridiculous. Looking back on it, if it was today I'd have been sent to a counselor and been given prescription drugs! But I made it through on my own and the only scarring I have is that I have never read anything very scary and barely watched anything scary. Sometimes we will rent a DVD and I just have to leave the room if it is too scary. I hate it, but I just can't do it. So maybe I still need the counselor!

Last summer I was into these silly, mindless, chick lit books, all taking place in London because my DD was there for the summer and I was just in the mood. Love the British humor!

I don't know what mindless thing I will be reading this summer, but I think I've read most of the dog books. Oh I also just read You Got me at Woof. So funny.

Bill is right! A spelling bee diet would sell millions if Dr Oz would endorse. Actually any diet book would and that guy appears to endorse everything. I don't watch tv but my MIL always tells me what Oz recommends. I just smile and nod.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote