Old 05-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/132/120

Height: 5'9

Default No-cook make-your-own breakfast cereal?

I'm trying to replace my beloved cheerios since they are a highly processed food. And I don't want to spend a ton of money on some fancy organic cereal.
I'm a fast food child so I've learned a lot since I became vegan, but still have a lot I don't know. For example, the long list of grains I've never tasted, tried, nor cooked with.
I dislike oatmeal because it has the consistency of snot, but I know I like oats flavor because I used to eat Quaker oatmeal squares cereal.
Can I just buy some kind of oats from a bulk bin, throw them into a cereal bowl with other grains, and add soy milk?
I don't like to cook, so I need simple solutions. Which grains/seeds can be purchased and thrown immediately into a cereal bowel without any kind of preparation? What grains/seeds usually taste good together? recipes?
I'm finding all kinds of internet recipes for cooking your own breakfast cereal in the freaken oven, but I don't want to cook. I want to pour it into a bowl like I do my cheerios.
Please help!!

I already use milled flaxseed on my cheerios so I know those guys taste ok.
Arwen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Maybe you should google muesli recipes?

For oats, you can soak them for a few minutes before eating them. My husband eats oats and soaks them overnight in the fridge and eats them cold.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Maybe you should google muesli recipes?

For oats, you can soak them for a few minutes before eating them. My husband eats oats and soaks them overnight in the fridge and eats them cold.
All the muesli recipes are the stuff I was reading about that you have to stick in the oven and cook. It doesn't sound like you can just eat that stuff raw.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

It's not a heck of a lot cheaper to make your own that buy in bulk. I agree, maybe google muesli recipes though. HOWEVER, I would just skip cereal all together. Eat a handful of nuts or an apple with peanut butter instead.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #5  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I'm not a Vegetarian but, if you are looking for a quick and healthy breakfast cereal, you should check out holy crap.

You can totally make it yourself too. I add mine to yogurt!

No cooking required! It's basically equal parts hemp hearts, chia seeds, buckwheat and dried cranberries.

Last edited by Silverfire; 05-27-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Muesli is eaten either hot or cold. You just have to soak before eating. Some people soak for 10 minutes, an hour or like my husband, overnight. If it is using flaked or rolled grains, you can eat without cooking. If it uses the whole grain or steel cut grain, then you need to cook it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #7  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen17 View Post
Can I just buy some kind of oats from a bulk bin, throw them into a cereal bowl with other grains, and add soy milk?
Yes, you can (sorta). It's called Overnight Oatmeal, like this recipe or this one. Make sure you buy old-fashioned oats, not quick oats. I suspect the "glue texture" you describe hating is the result of either (1) overcooked quick oats and/or (2) those horrid little packets of instant oatmeal. Oatmeal should not feel like that.

Another option is a super simple granola like this recipe. Basically you mixed together some grains and seeds, than melt some agave/honey/etc. with some nutbutter, and dump it over the grains & seeds. It's not instant cereal, but pretty darn close.

You could also try some puff cereal, like these from Arrowhead mills. No weird unpronounceable ingredients. Just cooked grains. And Arrowhead is solid company - organic, non-GMO, locally sourced, etc. The puff cereals are usually really cheap, also.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #8  

Novus, just wanted to stop by and say thanks for linking to our granola recipe! I doubt I would have found out about this wonderful forum if not for the link!
For those of you who decide to try the recipe out, you will LOVE it!!

JoAn

- Simple Green Moms
simplegreenmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #9  
maintaining since 9/2013

Yes, thank-you Novus! I'm going to try the cold overnight oatmeal. Usually quinoa is my breakfast go-to, with misc. veggies.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #10  

Lots of good ideas, thank you guys!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #11  

So I've found I like uncooked rolled oats with soy milk. Very, very simple. Sometimes I'll add cinnamon or fruit, but at least I've found something to imitate cereal. I don't like mushy oatmeal, I like crunchy like cereal.

This website did a great job of breaking down the stages of oats so you can decide what level of processed oats you want to eat:
http://nouveauraw.com/special-raw-in...standard-oats/

I might try steelcut oats in the future or adding other grains/seeds to my "cereal" of raw rolled oats.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #12  

I know you said you don't want to cook but this is something pretty quick and tastes like corn flakes.

Spread coconut chips on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven until golden brown. Only takes about 10 minutes at 350F so keep your eye on it. Cool, then put into zip lock bag. Use like corn flakes cereal, I pour on some almond milk and sliced bananas.
bluejeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #13  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

A nine year vegan here, so I will throw in my 2 cents...
Breakfast cereals made of grains , even whole grains..turn into sugar by the third chew. I got fat because my body craves sugar and my body would over-ride my thought process and would convince me that I should eat an entire box of shredded wheat with a handful of raisins. Or I would eat massive servings of oatmeal with curry and kale thrown in until my stomach hurt. Then by noon I would be ravenous again.
For me, weight control did not occur until I rid my life of starches, grains too and wheat based carbs....

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 07-17-2014 at 04:08 PM.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote