Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #1  

Default Life After Phase 1 -- the second sequel

Quote:
It seems appropriate (while we still have veterans aboard) to start a thread that captures information re: the later phases, before everyone runs off to enjoy their new lives!

If you are currently in Phase 3 or 4, please share your knowledge and experiences in the transition phases; our needs and questions are very different now than they were during the weight loss period. If you are phasing out to take a break before completing your IP program in the future, stay tied to the community and let us know how that approach is working for you. If you are an alum just checking in after months of maintenance, please share your long term successes and caution us about things we may need to watch out for...

If you are nearing transition or simply want to plan ahead, maybe questions like these have come up:

• I’ve got Phases 1 and 2 worked out, but what happens when I get to Phase 3?

• What should my meal plan be during maintenance?

• The guidelines aren’t as specific as they were during the weight loss phases... do I continue to use IP products, or stop them entirely? What about the supplements?

• Will I gain back weight during transition? Should I build some margin into my goal ahead of time?

Here is the place to ask the people who are currently dealing with these issues. Please keep your posts on topic, and please, no “twitter-like” posting that creates clutter.
Novak, the originator of Life After Phase 1 - Original Recipe
Life After Phase 1 - Original Recipe

Life After Phase 1 - The Sequel

PDFs of phases (clicking will open download link):
Phase 2
Phase 3
Phase 4

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 02-27-2011 at 10:52 AM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

thank you for starting this!!!
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #3  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Thanks Svelting. Tho I don't post often, I am on my 2nd week of phase 3 and love this thread. I have read the original and the sequel from beginning to end. So much great info and insights in those two threads. I was disappointed to find the sequel closed this AM but knew you would come through. Thanks again.

Lynn
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Yes indeed, we (I...who am I kidding?) need this thread, so I'm grateful for the sequel!
Weight loss note**I've been maintaining since early Feb. Lost my last 5 lbs while phasing off. My body got to the point at the end of ph. 1 that it had had enough and needed to switch things up. My coach talked about "tricking the body" by changing phases. It worked. The change in phases is chemically correct and also throws the body a curve ball. I am amazed at how well this has worked for so many of us. Same wisdom and science applies to the cheat day on ph. 4, not to mention planning for pleasure!

Health note ** My gallbladder has been acting up big time since I phased off. Started on ph.3 I thought it was the dairy. Got off for almost 2 weeks with no change. I'm trying to figure out what is triggering me. I'm now keeping my dairy and animal fats way low. My coach informed me the gallbladder and pancreas share a wall lining and sets of nerves. Some connection here, but I've yet to figure out what's causing the almost constant low grade nausea and sometimes stomach pain even drinking water. I also noticed stomach pain after taking my vites along with the IP potassium (taken since past October) I've read that strong Potassium doses can cause stomach irritation after a time. I will stop taking it for a few days and see if that helps. I'm having enough food groups now that would make omitting that safe for me even if for a week or so.

As always, your thoughts and experiences and laymans opinions are always welcome. Thanks to all the veterans out there. I plan on staying in this community for a LONG time.
sunnymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #5  
CBG

S/C/G: 196/163/160

Height: 5'6"

Glad to see the sequel started. Great information and tips as we go through the phases. I am into week 2 of Phase IV and still struggling to figure out how to add more carbs for the evening meal without mixing them up with the fats! The first 3 phases were somehow a little easier - certainly the plan was more laid out. Funny to think that our kids were just going through a phase as they hit awkward moments in their growing up and here we are going through our own. I am thinking phase IV is like hitting adult status..all grown up and responsible for your own destiny.
Enjoy your weekend everyone!
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/188/160

Hi ! I am looking forward to the next phases i n the program. Am still on phase 1 but my weight loss is not as fast as it originally was. Just wondering if my body is telling me enough and maybe i should move to phase 2, even though I am about 13 lbs from my goal.
\my coach does not want to give me printed information on the next phases until I get there so I am wondering where can I access the other three phases is there a website or link you can give me. Any information would be great.

Last edited by Tweety bird; 02-26-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: add on
Tweety bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #7  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Tweety,

Go to the main Ideal Protein Forum page and then to the Ideal Protein Diet - Phases sticky. It's all there.

Lynn

Your stats are impressive by the way!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #8  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Yes indeed, we (I...who am I kidding?) need this thread, so I'm grateful for the sequel!
Weight loss note**I've been maintaining since early Feb. Lost my last 5 lbs while phasing off. My body got to the point at the end of ph. 1 that it had had enough and needed to switch things up. My coach talked about "tricking the body" by changing phases. It worked. The change in phases is chemically correct and also throws the body a curve ball. I am amazed at how well this has worked for so many of us. Same wisdom and science applies to the cheat day on ph. 4, not to mention planning for pleasure!

Health note ** My gallbladder has been acting up big time since I phased off. Started on ph.3 I thought it was the dairy. Got off for almost 2 weeks with no change. I'm trying to figure out what is triggering me. I'm now keeping my dairy and animal fats way low. My coach informed me the gallbladder and pancreas share a wall lining and sets of nerves. Some connection here, but I've yet to figure out what's causing the almost constant low grade nausea and sometimes stomach pain even drinking water. I also noticed stomach pain after taking my vites along with the IP potassium (taken since past October) I've read that strong Potassium doses can cause stomach irritation after a time. I will stop taking it for a few days and see if that helps. I'm having enough food groups now that would make omitting that safe for me even if for a week or so.

As always, your thoughts and experiences and laymans opinions are always welcome. Thanks to all the veterans out there. I plan on staying in this community for a LONG time.
I'd also like to add my thanks to Svelting! I appreciate all the veteran wisdom here and have taken the time to read all of the previous threads for phasing off. I am still losing lbs and inches while ending phase III and am looking forward to phase IV otherwise known as life in the real world!

Sunnymae, I'm sorry to hear about your pain! I wish I could give you some advice or help, but I cannot. I do think though that your thoughts about cutting back on the vitamins now would be safe to try because you should be getting a more balanced diet. By the way, do you take your vitamins with some food? That is always easier on the stomach too. I'm wishing you the best as you try to figure this out with your coach and perhaps a doctor too.

Good Luck everyone!
SallyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/188/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolberger View Post
Tweety,

Go to the main Ideal Protein Forum page and then to the Ideal Protein Diet - Phases sticky. It's all there.

Lynn

Your stats are impressive by the way!
Thanks woolberger that was very helpful
Tweety bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety bird View Post
Hi ! I am looking forward to the next phases i n the program. Am still on phase 1 but my weight loss is not as fast as it originally was. Just wondering if my body is telling me enough and maybe i should move to phase 2, even though I am about 13 lbs from my goal.
\my coach does not want to give me printed information on the next phases until I get there so I am wondering where can I access the other three phases is there a website or link you can give me. Any information would be great.
Tweety bird - welcome. Svelting also posted a link to phases 2, 3 & 4 at the top of this page. Thanks Svelting!!
cmsgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #11  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsgrrl View Post
Tweety bird - welcome. Svelting also posted a link to phases 2, 3 & 4 at the top of this page. Thanks Svelting!!
Oops. I guess I missed that. Thanks Svelting and Christine.

Lynn
Old 02-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #12  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

Phase 4 dinner suggestion: I posted this in the recipe thread. As far as I can tell, it is phase 4 friendly, since the PH 4 protocol sheet permits minimal oil (1 TBSP) and minimal meat (3-4 oz). I had this when I was on WW, and enjoyed it.

Stroganoff-topped potato

1 medium baking potato

1 teaspoon olive oil

4 oz beef flank steak, cut across grain into thin bite-sized pieces

1 cup fresh mushrooms

1 small onion, cut into thin wedges

½ tsp garlic powder

½ tsp pepper

1 can Progresso Light Savory Vegetable Barley Soup (18.5 oz)

¼ Cup fat free sour cream

2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1. Generously pierce potato with fork. Place on microwavable paper towel. Microwave on high 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Cover, let stand covered 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in 12 inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add beef, mushrooms and onion; sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, just until beef is browned and vegetables begin to soften.

3. Stir in soup. Heat to boiling. Cook uncovered over high heat 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.

4. To serve, place ½ potato on each serving plate. Top each with 1 ½ cups of beef mixture; spring each with 1 tbsp parsley.

Per serving: 330 Calories
9 g fat
44 carb
7 fiber
17 protein
1100 mg potassium
880 sodium

ps, thanks Svelting, for opening the thread. Don't know what we'd do without ya!

Last edited by JSP; 02-26-2011 at 06:35 PM.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 192.8/155.0/148

Default Wow!

Hey everyone! I officially hit phase IV in the middle of September, so haven't checked in much, but I do "lurk" from time to time. I was on IP for 3 months and lost 45 lbs. Woot, woot!! Since then I've gained back 10, but, it's not as tragic as it sounds. Here's the deal..

I allowed myself 5 expected pounds and was totally ok with that. I did gain an extra 5 pounds over the holidays but this didn't really bother me too much. I always intended to get back on IP to lose the last little bit (10-15), I just needed a break, my body had had enough after 3 months. And quite frankly, it still doesn't bother me. I'm making better food choices, I'm exercising more, and I feel much better than I did before I started my weight loss journey. I really needed to get to a point where my mind set was ready to IP again. If you've done IP, you know what I mean!

So, I've bought all my veggies. I've bought all my protein shakes. I have the correct mind set to give it another go and get to where I want to be. I have a family dinner out tomorrow night, then Monday morning I'm back to IP-land for one month. I can do this, I did it for 3x as long before and did just fine. I've decided that at the end of 1 month I will phase out again, regardless of the number on the scale (although, I reserve the right to modify this at a later date )

Wish me luck!!

Stacey
Stacey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #14  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
You should probably discuss this with your doctor. Having taken out my share of gall bladders in the last 3 years, the gall bladder & pancreas DO NOT share a wall lining (that is unless she is meaning that the characteristics of the two organs' wall lining is similar). Your gall bladder lives all snuggled up underneath your liver.
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #15  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Mrs. D. New avatar. Nice!

Lynn