Old 05-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/ 163.9/ 130

Height: 5 ft

Question Weight Watchers vs. South Beach??

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying South Beach after being on WW for a while. To be honest, I don't feel that I really gave WW a fair shake at working. I was never fully committed and I ate whatever I wanted, how much I wanted and just didnt care. Well, I recently had bloodwork done and while I've ALWAYS had high cholesterol, my bloodwork is now out of control. My cholesterol is almost 300, my triglycerides are almost 500, and my blood sugar is now borderline high. I am also 60 lbs overweight at only 5 ft tall. I'm confused and unsure which plan is best for me. I thought South Beach because it was written by a cardiologist and seems to be made to address all the issues I suffer from, but after being on it for a month I feel like if I have to look at another egg, piece of cheese or chicken again I'm gonna wig out!! Also, I miss my potatoes!! Ugh!! While the inches seem to be starting to come off, it just doesn't feel like a diet I could live with for the rest of my life. I was just curious if anyone here has been through this issue and what their choice was...
Roldgold831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #2  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

I've done both, for me, personally, I prefer WW. I missed my potatoes, too! I like the flexibility. I calorie count now ( really, so is WW--just a different unit of measure).

Last edited by LRH; 05-25-2014 at 08:38 PM.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hmm, this is interesting...

I've tried both SB and WW. I liked the flexibility with WW and being able to have the food that I want, including starch. SB may be healthier in some regards though. I've actually been debating going back on one of these plans.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Why can't you go back to WW but eat better food all the time.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #5  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Why can't you go back to WW but eat better food all the time.
I try to adhere to some of the philosophy of SB, I stick to low glycemic carbs, no white carbs at all unless it is a very unique circumstance. I'm not into how SB combines food and I absolutely can't eat nuts, just a few leads to too many. But one can certainly try SB but track the points to keep accountable
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #6  
GmaTo8

Some people combine WW and SB. If you follow the rules/Healthy Guidelines, WW has a great balance of nutrients, but you can set a limit on your carbs while following WW, and have the best of both. More counting is involved, but worth it, if it works for you. Just a thought.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #7  
Less of a Better Me

I've followed SB while also following WW. It is totally possible.

Also the Simply Filling program on WW is quite similar to SB. There are some differences but you might look at that if you don't like counting.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 135/133/115

Height: 5'2"

I've done both and was just trying to decide today which to go back to. I always think South Beach is going to be a great idea until I am on it, and run into one of those days where I didn't prepare anything to bring to work, and find it harder to find options on South Beach, than on WW.

So I am back on WW and going to give the Simple Start a try. When I do any diet though, I usually try to eat less carbs as they take up so many of my points/calories. But I like that I can eat carbs still.
Aldergrove BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #9  

I have never done WW but have been on South Beach for years. I lost the weight quickly and have been maintaining since then. When it's a special occasion or vacation I do go off plan but get right back on immediately and my weight hasn't fluctuated more than a couple of pounds.

It's all a matter of what works for you. South Beach does require a lot of planning and cooking but to me it's definitely worth it. It's all about clean foods and a sustainable way of life. I couldn't picture myself counting points for the rest of my life.
lucy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Since you are having problems giving up things like potatoes, South Beach is probably not a good choice for you. Give WW another try, but be sure to stay within your points. Make sure you get in all your veggies to help fill you up, and when you do eat starch, like potatoes, watch your portions. Sometimes the first couple bites are all you need to satisfy you.

You can do it!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote