Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

Default Hummus?

Since I work weird hours, I need simple foods I can take to work with me so I've turned to fruit and veggies. The thing is, I've become addicted to hummus. What I'm wondering is, if I'm not eating too many calories, should this be okay until I get off my hummus kick? Or is there a downside to eating primarily hummus like an addict?

I'm sure I'll get sick of it soon...
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I don't see why it could be an issue. If you're eating fruit, veggies, and hummus, you're getting tons of nutrients from your fruit and veggies, plus protein and healthy fats from hummus (especially if you make it yourself). Sounds well-rounded to me. I mean, ideally, having more variety in your diet is best, but people have survived on much worse

There are a few voluntary recalls out on hummus for possible listeria if you get store-bought hummus, might want to look up the details. I heard about it on the news yesterday.

Last edited by nonameslob; 05-23-2014 at 11:57 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #3  

Thanks nonameslob, I figured it was healthy but my weight has refused to change for days so I started to wonder if I wasn't taking something into account. Could be stress related, I gained 10 pounds from stress eating alone. =/
Old 05-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I used to eat a tub of hummus a day as part of my weightloss diet. It was OK for a while but eventually stalled me out. When I gave up hummus I started losing again.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217.5/211/154.5

Height: 5'4"

I believe large quantities of hummus are healthiest for you if you eat it with vegetables (rather than pita chips, or crackers). One of my favorite ways to eat hummus is as a sandwich spread with roasted vegetables or grilled chicken. Filling and yummy!
its2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:33 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Hummus is traditionally eaten with bread, not crackers.

Do you make it yourself? If not you probably don't know what's in it.

It should contain chickpeas, tahini, salt, garlic and lemon juice.

There is a lot of fat in tahini. And there's quite a bit of tahini in hummus but i'm eating 1/2 cup of hummus in my serves when i eat it. I'm not really losing weight right now but i wouldn't' blame the hummus. I'm just eating a bit too much. But i'm not putting on any weight either.

Actually i should cut out my daily wine if anything but i had a break and now want it.

I eat my hummus with either a half or a whole pitta bread and salad and some yoghurt.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #7  
maintaining since 9/2013

Trader Joe's has a hummus made from eggplant. It's very low calorie yet really tasty.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I used to eat a tub of hummus a day as part of my weightloss diet. It was OK for a while but eventually stalled me out. When I gave up hummus I started losing again.
Oh that is interesting, I'll just try counting out how much I'm eating and see what happens.

I eat my hummus with carrots, I cut out crackers once I saw the calorie count! I'll try looking up how to make your own hummus, maybe I can do that today.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #9  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

One of my staples when I am eating well is hummus with broccoli and pepper slices (usually orange or red). I have also been known to include tiny tomatoes, snap peas, cauliflower, carrots and/or celery.

It is an easy way for me to eat large quantities of vegetables. It is especially great when traveling - I pack up a small container and all my veggies in bags with a small ice pack. It is such a treat!

I never really eat it with bread - occasionally as a spread in a whole wheat pita sandwich.

I go back and forth between measuring it and not. I think I usually have at least 2 servings at a time (one of the brands I buy has the serving size at 2 Tablespoons... what? NOT ENOUGH ). When I don't measure, I figure I am doing far less damage with hummus and veggies than I would do otherwise.

It's true if you make it yourself you could control what goes in. Cooks Illustrated has a recipe for Light Hummus (less tahini and olive oil) - in this post near the bottom. Also if you add roasted red peppers for example that would cut the per-serving calories. Have fun experimenting!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #10  
banned

Mars that's not hummus, that's babaganoush! Its turkish. Its made with almost raw eggplant, tahini, lemon juice and garlic, and salt. Also very delicious yes. You just put the eggplants in the oven or griller and heat till the skin blisters so you can peel it off. Then you put them and the tahini and lemon juice etc in the blender/food processor. Voila another fantastic dip.

I wouldn't make it light. It wouldn't be so nice. and i don't put olive oil in mine. I just put it on top. To make the texture the right consistency after the tahini, you add the liquid from the chickpeas. I mean if you think about it, a half cup of hummus made with the recipe i gave you, isn't a lot of tahini. Maybe one or two tsp.

You have to soak the chickpeas over night and then cook them the next day till soft before adding everything else.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #11  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Mars that's not hummus, that's babaganoush! Its turkish. Its made with almost raw eggplant, tahini, lemon juice and garlic, and salt.

You have to soak the chickpeas over night and then cook them the next day till soft before adding everything else.
Uh-oh ,looks like Trader Joe's is in trouble with the culinary police

EGGPLANT HUMMUS, labeled and stocked as such at TJ's:

1 container is 1 cup 280 cal 16 g fat 32g total carb -16g fiber = 16g net carbs 8 g protein
ingredients: Chickpeas, eggplant, sesame tahini, lemon juice, garlic water, sea salt, pomegranate juice

1 Cup is pretty filling, esp. with veggies

Last edited by mars735; 05-24-2014 at 06:34 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #12  
banned

ah ok. Sorry.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
That is pretty impressive. I eat hummus every day but not a tub.

And speaking of baba gannouj, another favorite thing of mine. I went to Wegman's the other day and theirs has milk in it which made me sad but there is a brand around here called Asmar's which has really good hummus and baba gannouj.

And my favorite things to eat with hummus are strips of red bell peppers, carrots and celery. I sometimes have hummus on top of bread with slices of tomatoes, that is quite divine
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I never heard of eating hummus with bread. When I first had it, it was served with crackers or tortilla chips. Since I eat low carb, I eat it with celery or pepper strips.

The healthiest part of hummus is the fiber in the chick peas. I make my own, and it's really easy. I drain the chick peas (I use canned) reserving the liquid, and rinse in a colandar, pulling off all the skins. I pulse them in the food processor until fine then transfer to a bowl. I combine the lemon juice and tahini in the food processor along with some olive oil and pulse. I usually add some roasted red pepper (from a jar) or some garlic. Then I gradually add the chick peas back in. If it's too thick I add some of the reserved liquid from the chick peas. You can add whatever you want to it. Sometimes I add a dash of dry chipolte pepper when I want a little heat.

Someone gave me this recipe for Peanut Butter Hummus. It can be eaten with apple slices or banana...just about any way you use peanut butter.

http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.co...-weekly-recap/
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Thank you for mentioning the Eggplant Hummus. I googled and found a whole list of recipes and especially liked this one because it also includes cannollini beans, and therefore has additional fiber. I will probably try it today. It just might be my new hummus recipe.

White Bean and Roasted Eggplant Hummus

Total Time:
33 min
Prep:
8 min
Cook:
25 min

Yield:
6 servings

Level:
Easy

CATEGORIES

Beans And Legumes
Appetizer
Hummus

Ingredients

1 (1 1/2-pound) eggplant or 3 Japanese eggplants, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
Olive oil, for drizzling, plus 1/3 cup
Kosher salt, for seasoning, plus 1/2 teaspoon
Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning, plus 1/4 teaspoon
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
1 clove garlic
1 hothouse cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and place an oven rack in the middle.

Place the eggplant on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cooled eggplant, beans, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add 1/3 cup of olive oil until the mixture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Place the hummus in a dipping bowl and serve with the cucumber slices. Alternatively, spoon the hummus over the cucumber slices and arrange on a serving platter.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-25-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote