Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 101/101/80

Height: 5'8

Post Advice Needed

I am a 31 year old guy and weigh somewhere around 225 pounds (checked last 5 months back). Will check the currect weight soon. In short, Obese...

I am on Antidepressants (150 mg VenlaFlaxine, 500 mg Depakote and 100 mg Quitepine SR) for since last 14 years and have been pretty stable over the last 8 years. I am been overweight since adolescent and recently decided to loose some weight.. So started walking and jogging a bit. Forgot to tell, I also have Hypothyroidism. I take 75 mg Eltroxin for it.

My question is will I be able to lose weight ? I am hoping I can. What do you guys think ?

Regards,
AG

Last edited by aninguh; 05-20-2014 at 11:34 AM.
aninguh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #2  

88 Views and no responses yet

Please respond guys..
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/146/140

Height: 5'2"

Of course you can lose weight! It IS possible even for folks with Hypothyroidism. Not only is it possible but it's a mathematical certainty even with the hypothyroidism.
Everyone needs calories. Perhaps you need less because of the hypothyroidism. And EVERYONE can create a deficit. Perhaps yours cannot be as drastic. It just means you need to be more patient than that other person. But you should definitely discuss it with your doctor.
At your current height and weight with the hypothyroidism, I would think it might be more beneficial to focus on resistance training with some cardio to burn calories in addition to a small-lish calorie deficit. But you'll have to be patient And you'll have to be consistent with it!
I think the major thing here is not to mentally defeat yourself before you even start.
Hypothyroidism doesn't define you nor does it define your ability to eat less. You just have to take a little extra care and perhaps not go into a large calorie deficit at first. And then... don't even think about it.
Once you get rolling, the hypothyroidism won't mean squat anymore. Just a thing that you take a pill for. So what!
Earthling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

You can lose weight, sure! Why would you think you can't? You just have to realize that you are in control of it, even when sometimes it seems that you aren't. It will be easier at some times than others, but if you keep going, and you keep yourself at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. If you didn't and could somehow generate energy out of nothing, we could use you to solve the energy crisis. It may be easier to lose weight without hypothyroidism, but you also have one thing going for you: you're a dude. Yay you! You automatically have the advantage. You just need some basic information and a plan. Do you know how much you need to eat to lose weight? To maintain? Have you ever delved into calorie counting or portion control? Do you understand which kinds of foods you feel hungry on? What fills you up? Do you know which kind of plan you want to use? Take a look around and you will see many approaches to the same problem. Not every plan works for everyone. But yes, you can lose weight! What makes me the authority? I have lost and regained the same 30 lbs a few times now. It can be done, but if you get the weight off, keep it off-don't go back. Getting it back off the second and every time after is just as hard if not harder. Don't forget the hard work you put in!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:48 AM   #5  

Thanks guys.. this means a lot to me... I have started wogging... (walking and jogging) around a week back and all I want to do is look forward doing it the next time.....I have started eating lesser (have to eat more often though) and feeling good about everything...Will check my weight soon....

Old 05-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninguh View Post
I am a 31 year old guy and weigh somewhere around 225 pounds (checked last 5 months back). Will check the currect weight soon. In short, Obese...

I am on Antidepressants (150 mg VenlaFlaxine, 500 mg Depakote and 100 mg Quitepine SR) for since last 14 years and have been pretty stable over the last 8 years. I am been overweight since adolescent and recently decided to loose some weight.. So started walking and jogging a bit. Forgot to tell, I also have Hypothyroidism. I take 75 mg Eltroxin for it.

My question is will I be able to lose weight ? I am hoping I can. What do you guys think ?

Regards,
AG
Hi, I take antidepressants (venlafaxine) and have hypothyroidism too. I don't know about the other meds you mentioned but ven won't affect your weight and if your hypo is stabilised, neither will that affect your weight loss attempts.

You should ask your doc about the other meds or look them up on wikipeida. I do know that some meds cause weight gain but i don't know about those two.

Ok so with regards to go about losing weight, the walking and jogging is good. A great start but try to remember that the general consensus is that weightloss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So while the exercise is good for your general fitness, and will help with weightloss on a couple of fronts, you can't rely on only that to do the work. Resistance exercise is a good idea because it builds muscle which speeds up your metabolism but this also means you will probably notice an increase in appetite as well. Don't worry.

With regard to your diet a few things that i live by are keeping a detailed food diary. Measuring everything with measuring cups spoons and scales so that you know exactly what you are eating and can adjust your intake accordingly. You will have to eat less as you lose weight.

Second, try to eat only at meal times. And in between just fruit or something healthy if you are genuinely hungry.
Try to resist eating from boredom.

If you eat for emotional reasons, you will need to try to make better choices or resist. And try to resolve your emotional problems sooner rather than later. I find that finding someone to talk to, preferably a counsellor, relieves my distress the quickest, if i am unable to work it out myself.

Try to improve the nutritional quality of the food you eat. If you are a junk food eater, try to change this and start cooking your own food. Include more fruit and vegetables. Learn how to cook better.

Salty foods makes you retain water and if you get yourself some scales, the readout will fluctuate significantly on a daily basis. Learn not to stake too much emotion on a daily readout.

Consider your food weaknesses, if you have any. I mean are you out of control with some foods? If so, try limiting them strictly to certain times and certain amounts. I've just about totally quit refined sugar foods because i can't control them.

Don't try to restrict your food too severely. Its better to lose slowly. You've more chance of keeping the weight off permanently.

Be a regular on these boards. you can learn a lot.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote