PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default So many supplements, so little.....understanding!

Hi all. I am not new to the whole PCOS/IR thing, but it's been a lesser issue in my life over the past couple of years....and now I fear it's rearing its ugly head again.

In 2011, I decided that I'd had enough and I wanted to lose weight (after finding out that I was teetering on the edge of Type II diabetes.) My doctor prescribed Metformin for me in January (1/2 tablet twice a day.) I also joined Weight Watchers. Over the following 16 months, I lost 65 pounds and as a result, was taken off of the Metformin in May of 2012.

Over the past year, I have regained 20 of the 65 pounds that I lost, and am having a devil of a time getting it off again. I'm finding that my cravings are back with a vengeance, and it seems that some of my PCOS symptoms are returning as well. And I guess my inability to re-lose the weight is a symptom as well.

The thing is? I don't want to go back on Metformin. I mean, yes, it helped the insulin resistance, and yes, I have no doubt it helped the weight loss...because hey, half the time I was too nauseated to eat. I just want to at least try and do something halfway natural, you know?

I read the sticky about supplements that are useful in controlling IR, but there's just so *many*. And I do take a couple of supplements daily already to help with other things, so I'd rather not have to be swilling down pills all day long. *L* I take a B-complex vitamin, 2000 mcg of biotin, 1,000 mcg of B12 daily (my iron is sort of low), and 400 mg of 5-HTP daily.

And so I ask: is there any one thing that you've tried that has worked, that you swear by? I've heard lots about cinnamon, but have never tried it myself. I live in a small town and there are no health food stores, but I am going to visit my best friend in a week -- she lives in a much larger city and I will most likely be able to hit up a health food store (or at the very least, a GNC.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #2  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I can't offer any thoughts for what supplements might be helpful, but I'd suggest that whatever you decide to try, ordering it online instead of waiting to go to a GNC will be much cheaper!
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Chelated chromium. In a minimum of 800 mg doses. That's what I used when my doctor wanted me on Metformin and I decided not to go on it.

This FAQ on supplements is actually really great to look at ways to manage your PCOS. Take a look! http://pcosfaq.com/

You will have to change your diet, as that's one of the first ways of managing PCOS/IR.

Good luck!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #4  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Chelated chromium. In a minimum of 800 mg doses.
800 mg? Hm. I'm going to have to do some more searching, then. All the ones I'm finding online are in doses of mcg, not mg.

ETA: Are you *sure* you don't mean 800 mcg? I can't find *any* formulation of chromium that's even dosed in mg.

Last edited by Snoofie; 05-18-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Yes, it's probably mcg. Mary's PCOS faq has the studies with the doses that proved effective.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote