Old 05-12-2014, 01:57 AM   #1  
Go For Your Dreams!

S/C/G: HW340/340/160

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Weight Loss Success stories starting at 300+lbs? I need motivation!!

I am in my 20's, Female and 340 lbs.Even writing that makes me cringe.

I have gained and lost alot of weight since I was a teenage, however this is the highest I have ever been and I'm starting to lose hope.

A yr & a 1/2 ago I broke up w my ex who I was w for 5 yrs. Since moving back home, I have gained 80lbs, when I was already heavy to begin with (summer 2012 -265lbs) I saw pictures of me today out to dinner w the fam, and I almost started crying bc I look so incredibly large and unhealthy. My arm fat was peaking out from my sleeve and that has never looked like that before. Im embarrassed.

I started off strong in Feb, lost 14 lbs, worked out everyday, then fell off the wagon HARD.

I'm planing to start my "healthy lifestyle" tomorrow and vowed to get this weight gone once and for all, but I cant help but feel bad when I think about how heavy i let myself become. I am a very smart, talented and pretty girl and there are so many things that I want to do with my life that it terrify's me to think that I'm so handicapped in so many ways bc of my weight. It prevents me from living the life I want to live and I'm so tired of it!

The thing is i know how to eat properly and lose weight, I've lost/gained 100lbs before, but now Im so heavy I feel so awful and almost helpless.

Im starting college Sept 29th and I really do not want to be this big when I start. Im scared that if im still at this weight, I wont go to school bc if how big and insecure I am.

Please, I need all the support I can get. I would love to hear success stores, preferably from woman who started at 300+ and have successfully lost weight. I would love if you can mention the time you started and the length it took you to reach your goal(s) as well.

Thank you so much for reading

xoxo
CandyCoatedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #2  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

At my highest weight, I was near 200 pounds. So, while not exactly in your position, my feelings of helplessness and hopelessness were the same.
You have a lot going for you. You are young! You have so much ahead of you and this wonderful opportunity to further your education. Please don't ever even think that you would give it up because of insecurity. Don't let insecurity take over your life! I know, easier said than done sometime.
You said you know how to lose, so start today. You can do this. Aim for small goals and chip away at them. By the time school starts, you will have made good progress. That is a wonderful goal to work toward.
I wish you all the best and know that you can and will achieve your goals--if you truly want to. It's all up to you. You will find the support you need here along the way.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: 5'4

Heyy, I've never lost more than 5 pounds in my entire life so maybe i'm not one to talk but maybe you can start by making small changes? I don't know what your habits are but maybe you can give up soft drinks, chips? Some small vice at a time and don't beat yourself up if you slip, don't go at it as an extremist. No matter what you have to love yourself and live because you never know what tomorrow will bring. *hugss* =)
Alexox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #4  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Hello candy

I weighed 299 pounds (so close enough to 300). It's took me about 2 1/2 years to reach goal (135), although now I'm trying to get into the 120s.

I went through all of college OBESE, and for me it was not fun. I wasn't confident with how I looked and I really missed out on a lot. Good for you for committing to losing weight, but please try to live your life to the fullest and really experience the college life. Just because you're overweight doesn't mean you shouldn't have fun and and meet new people and enjoy life (and of course I say that in hindsight). Easier said than done, but please remember college can be a great experience no matter what weight you are.

if you click on my link goal, you'll see some before and after photos. good luck! you've lost weight before you can do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCoatedSymphony View Post
I am in my 20's, Female and 340 lbs.Even writing that makes me cringe.

I have gained and lost alot of weight since I was a teenage, however this is the highest I have ever been and I'm starting to lose hope.

A yr & a 1/2 ago I broke up w my ex who I was w for 5 yrs. Since moving back home, I have gained 80lbs, when I was already heavy to begin with (summer 2012 -265lbs) I saw pictures of me today out to dinner w the fam, and I almost started crying bc I look so incredibly large and unhealthy. My arm fat was peaking out from my sleeve and that has never looked like that before. Im embarrassed.

I started off strong in Feb, lost 14 lbs, worked out everyday, then fell off the wagon HARD.

I'm planing to start my "healthy lifestyle" tomorrow and vowed to get this weight gone once and for all, but I cant help but feel bad when I think about how heavy i let myself become. I am a very smart, talented and pretty girl and there are so many things that I want to do with my life that it terrify's me to think that I'm so handicapped in so many ways bc of my weight. It prevents me from living the life I want to live and I'm so tired of it!

The thing is i know how to eat properly and lose weight, I've lost/gained 100lbs before, but now Im so heavy I feel so awful and almost helpless.

Im starting college Sept 29th and I really do not want to be this big when I start. Im scared that if im still at this weight, I wont go to school bc if how big and insecure I am.

Please, I need all the support I can get. I would love to hear success stores, preferably from woman who started at 300+ and have successfully lost weight. I would love if you can mention the time you started and the length it took you to reach your goal(s) as well.

Thank you so much for reading

xoxo

Last edited by kisskiss; 05-14-2014 at 05:54 PM.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

i am older but i started this journey at just over 300 pounds in january of 2010, with an interim of babymaking in 2011. i've only lost 80-ish pounds so far, but i don't mind it being a slow adjustment. along the way i have learned how to care about myself and want what is best for me. i still struggle lots with food choices and hunger, but the changes i have made have been permanent and positive.

no more yo-yo diets. i will cut calories for a while and then take a break and learn to maintain. i have made exercise a part of my life. i no longer consume drinks with calories (except half n half in my coffee. don't mess with mah coffee!!).

i can get up walk around, run, climb, lift heavy things with relative ease, whereas before i was having trouble bending down to tie my shoes. i am able to keep up with my kids. these things are so small seeming, but such a huge change in how i live day to day that i am forever grateful.

i might not ever get down to a "healthy" weight, but i think that the weight i have already lost has been very positive.

advice?

make one small change. dont do it all at once. make one small change, like only drinking non caloric beverages and keep doing it until it becomes second nature. then make another small change. you want these changes to be permanent, so make sure they are changes you can live with.

don't give up. you *will* make mistakes. just count on it. it's ok to not be perfect. what isn't ok is giving up. you eat a big crazy meal? that's ok! just get *right* back on the wagon. don't use it as an excuse to eat badly for the rest of the week.

never beat yourself up. loving yourself should never have anything to do with how much you weigh. always be kind to yourself. i only got fatter by being mean to me.

find an exercise that you look forward to doing, and stick with it. i am very goal oriented and eventually found weightlifting. i *love* it with my whole heart. i hope i never stop.

in the words of samuel beckett, "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

i wish you much success and even more happiness.

Last edited by katerina11; 05-14-2014 at 06:33 PM.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #6  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCoatedSymphony View Post
I am a very smart, talented and pretty girl...
I just wanted to say that your attitude is FANTASTIC! That you can recognize - and give voice to - your worth is going to be incredibly beneficial to you on this journey. Just never lose sight of how awesome you are ON THE INSIDE and I truly believe you will succeed!
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #7  
1500 Max!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/119

Height: 5'6"

Hi there, my heaviest weight has been 190lbs and my lowest, 131lbs. It took me a year to lose 50 pounds and then I felt so good about losing that weight that it took me a year to lose the last ten. I know I am not the weight you requested but it may still give some idea of how long weight loss takes, it depends how much you want it.

It is quite possible to lose at least 50 pounds before September if you start out at 340 pounds as weight comes off quicker the heavier you are. If I may give some advice on how to do it; just one hour of exercise can burn 500 calories and if you combine that with eating 1500 calories a day then you will only be 'netting' 1000 calories! I usually find exercise very boring but 'Just Dance' for the Wii is SO much fun! And it will make you feel sexy and confident that you can dance and you can do it in the comfort of your living room so you don't have to feel self-conscious.

Last edited by LucyOlivia; 05-21-2014 at 06:56 AM.
LucyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

My highest weight was 333. I am not at goal yet but I am so much closer than I ever thought possible. I couldn't wait to be under 250 and under 200 was literally a dream. I thought if I could just fit into a 14 I would be the happiest ever. I am now a size 10/12 depending on the fit. For me, I started to go to Overeaters Anonymous and that has really made the difference. You can so do this!
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I started at 312 pounds (that from Dr. office scale) I think I was around 22 years old. The guy I was dating then was a little overweight and wanted to lose. His dad told him to stop drinking soda.
I drank soda ALL the time. ALOT of mountain dew but I also liked Dr. Pepper, sometimes coke. But I quit drinking it to support him because if we went out together I didn't want to drink it in front of him. He had a deal with his dad, don't drink it for a month to get maybe $50. Well I know he drank it...but I only drank water.
I hadn't weighed myself for a month but I could tell my clothes were very loose! I think I lost a size just by doing that.
Well boyfriend thought I should get the lapband and we ended up breaking up for a bunch of reasons. I joined Curves and started eating better. I counted calories, and I don't drink soda anymore but I don't deprive myself of anything either. If I want ice cream I have a little, just don't eat the whole box like I want to.
About age 25 I weighed 175 but now I am 28 and I weigh 191. So I gained a little...but I never really went "off the wagon". I still continue to exercise and watch what I eat.
I only did Curves for 1 year. I don't belong to a gym. I workout in my basement or if I want, I sometimes go outside to walk or ride my bike. I just find dvds at thrift shops or Walmart. I found a Treadmill at a yard sale, my stationary bike at a thrift shop, my outside bike I only paid $2 at a yard sale. I got a Total Gym at a yard sale for $50 though I had a new one that cost me $200 but I like setting them up side by side and making a circuit with them.
Food wise I tend to avoid processed food when I can. I try to eat lots of fruits, veggies and protein. In the beginning I said I could never do low carb and I don't, but I find myself eating less bread now than before. Every now and then I do like pizza, or a sandwich but its not an everyday thing. Like I remember having pizza every night for dinner, or most nights of the week. Poptarts for breakfast turned into me putting cinnamin into unflavored oatmeal and having a piece of fruit with it.
You can do it. Remember it just takes time and don't give up.
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #10  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Hi, I began at 295lbs which is not quite what you're asking about but I'll tell you when I saw how close I was to 300lbs I had a bit of a breakdown.

I cried and cried and did what some might call pray. I wrote. I read. I soul searched and I tried everything and all I can't say is that it's not any one thing that got me where I am but a collection of all the knowledge and skills I've gained while trying to lose weight.

Now, I've been overweight my whole life and have tried many things, healthy and unhealthy, so to be here where I am amazes even myself.

We are all 100% capable of making the changes we need, whether it's drugs, alcohol, gambling, eating, smoking, self hatred...we all go through things that take every last bit of strength and courage we have. I fully believe the difference between a successful person and someone who never gets it under control is persistence and willingness to love yourself and to try anything that's healthy and reasonable.

Oftentimes things we thought were stupid at first end up helping us out the most when we let it.

I'm not at my goal yet but I'm a few pounds away from being 80lbs down and I fully intend to get under 200lbs by August. My weight loss has been going steady for a little under a year now but it's been probably 5 years of actually trying, losing, failing, gaining, crying, starting over...it's for life. It sounds scary to hear it that way but if we didn't spend our lives overcoming obstacles, setting goals and changing things that aren't making us happy then what would we be living for? You can enjoy your life and love yourself and still be working on improvement.

Good luck and I hope anything I said helps!
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 347/208/180

Height: 5'3

Hi!

I started out at 347 lbs and I have worked my way down to 208 lbs over the years. I was on and off with weight loss for a while, I had great moments in time and then there were the days I just didn't think I could do it. My timeline of weight loss went something like this:

1st year: down about 30 lbs just by cutting back on pasta and other high carb foods I consumed. I also started college and walked a lot more on campus and took advantage of the healthier food options there.

2nd year: Started going to the gym on a regular basis and dropped another 30-40 lbs, was feeling great for a while, but somehow I fell off track and regained most of it

3rd year: started reading self help books and really came to understand that I had a food addiction and learned how to try to cope with it, weight loss was up and down while trying to figure out how to mange it

4th year: (Now) January 1st, I started a food journal, eating 1500 calories a day. I try to make to the gym 2-4 times a week. I have lost 50 lbs since January first alone.

After many trial and errors, I have found that most importantly, you have to want to lose the weight for yourself and no one else (which it sounds like you are already there ) What works best for me was adapting to a lifestyle change. This takes a lot of time and patience. I still have moments where I slip up, but that is just part of life. One book that really helped me was "The Thin Woman's Brain: Re-wiring the Brain for Permanent Weight Loss." It helps ease you into a healthier lifestyle and takes a much different approach to weight loss than most other books do.

In addition to that, I started using a Fitbit, which tracks my steps, floors climbed, miles walked, calories burned, etc. It has really opened my eyes to how much activity correlates to weight loss. Weeks where I am not as active, the scale shows!

Please feel free to message me if you would like to talk or need support!
anm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #12  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

Height: 5'5"

for as long as i could remember i've been a chunky girl. years of bad eating and lack of exercise finally caught up to me when i was 25. i weighed 350lbs and i was dying. i had high blood pressure, heart palpitations and swelling feet. i was pre-diabetic and had trips to the hospital cause i thought i was having heart attacks. i was almost dead. luckily, my family convinced me it was time to lose weight after years of neglecting my size and not trying to hurt my feelings. it was a painful truth i needed to face, but i did it. two years later, after low calorie and low carb options with a side of exercise i'm down 140lbs. i still got 50lbs i want to lose but i'll get there. i realize i will be battling everyday for the rest of my life. it isn't easily but you do it because you are stronger than you ever thought you were. you are stronger than you were yesterday, and stronger you'll be tomorrow. and happy, i am starting to feel happy.
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #13  
[url=http://www.TickerFac

S/C/G: 213/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Everyone here has such an inspiring story! You guys are awesome! I love this thread because even though I am not 300 lbs, I have the exact same feelings as you. I was 150 when I was dating my ex-boyfriend. When he broke up with me, I started to gain more and more weight. I realized that in the past year I have gained at least 25 pounds. I am dating somebody else now, but I am a lot larger than I was then. I recently went to a wedding and saw a picture of me posted on facebook and I wanted so badly to delete it because of how big I look. Then I was in the car the other day and I saw how large my arms are and I wanted to cry. My boyfriends friend mentioned to him that he had a friend over that night and told us "she's kind of big don't judge" well she was small. I wanted to cry because I was just wondering what he thinks of me. Now I need to eat better and exercise but it is so hard. So cheers to everyone on this thread because we are all in the same boat! Let's get goin!
LuLu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #14  

I've just started, but I'm at 285 lbs.

A couple years ago I went from 289 to 201, and then I gained it all back over the next few years.

I know what you mean though. I look at pictures and just want to cry. I literally disgust myself, and it's so sad.

But I WILL change myself. I want to be happy with myself, and to do that I need to be happy with how I look.

My therapist told me that I often don't do things to get healthy because I don't feel like I deserve it. She explained that it's hard to make myself do something for myself because I hate myself so much, and that losing weight is for me, which is why it's been so hard.

Best of luck. xoxo.
trichotillomanicat is offline   Reply With Quote