Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-12-2014, 05:29 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat May 12 - May 18

Sunday, Mother's Day, was sunny, warm, and delightful. We took a tour of some local gardens - the kind where the owner does all the work and knows every plant's history. Was a fun, fun, day. DS and his SO made dinner at his house eaten out on the lawn as dark fell. Doesn't get better.

I'm still coughing; this has to end some day. DW is getting more impatient for me to go the doctor. I'm not a fan of going to the doctor anyway, but going to say, "I have a cold" seems an open invitation to hear, "Why, yes, you do - buy Cold Remedies at the drug store and come back some day when you're ill." I'm annoyed with this, but I'm not all verklempt about it. I don't have my bustenhalter in a twist.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post

I'm still coughing; this has to end some day. DW is getting more impatient for me to go the doctor. I'm not a fan of going to the doctor anyway, but going to say, "I have a cold" seems an open invitation to hear, "Why, yes, you do - buy Cold Remedies at the drug store and come back some day when you're ill." I'm annoyed with this, but I'm not all verklempt about it. I don't have my bustenhalter in a twist.
Glad you had a really nice Mother's Day Bill. As for the cold I went to the doctor after having a cough for over a month and he gave me a prescription for a "puffer" (inhaler). The cough was gone after 3 days of using the inhaler. May have gone away by itself but I was tired of coughing and not sleeping.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning everyone! We had a better Mother's Day this year than last year considering last year my girls were in the hospital still. Hopefully next year will be even better -- A is cutting a tooth and was miserable all day and they skipped one of their naps. DH made me a cute card from him and the girls though! Also both girls have figured out how to wave and how to clap, and this morning I got A to wave bye bye to me when I left for work. Hopefully this tooth will be in soon so that poor DH doesn't have to deal with a grouchy baby all day today.

I need to come up with something good to do for DH for father's day since he does way more work taking care of them than I do. Time to start googling craft ideas!

Bill, I went to the doctor for a lingering cough after a cold once and that was when I learned I had allergies -- I was in college. Until I did that and got a nasal spray for my allergies, I honestly did not know that it was physically possible to breathe through my nose!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

We had a great weekend. Both kids were home. We golfed Saturday morning and it wasn't hot at all. We cancelled Sunday due to wind and blowing sand which makes for miserable golfing. We met our future SIL's father who is in town visiting his brother. We played games and MIL and DD and I went shopping to help DD find shoes for her wedding. Um, yeah, she bought cobalt blue shoes to wear with her white wedding dress. Interesting. We also found some nice earrings for her for the wedding.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Good morning!

We had a great weekend. Both kids were home. We golfed Saturday morning and it wasn't hot at all. We cancelled Sunday due to wind and blowing sand which makes for miserable golfing. We met our future SIL's father who is in town visiting his brother. We played games and MIL and DD and I went shopping to help DD find shoes for her wedding. Um, yeah, she bought cobalt blue shoes to wear with her white wedding dress. Interesting. We also found some nice earrings for her for the wedding.
Is DD a "Sex In The City" fan? Carrie wore a white suit with bright blue Manolo's when she married Big.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=manol...F%3B451%3B1225

Dagmar
Old 05-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Is DD a "Sex In The City" fan? Carrie wore a white suit with bright blue Manolo's when she married Big.

Dagmar
I don't think so, but that's funny. Same color shoe but we certainly didn't splurge for Manolos! I think we spent $59 for the shoes!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Will the shoes show from under the dress, Allison? Very cool!

I also didn't know you could breathe through your nose until chronic headaches eventually led me to uncover severe sinus issues/allergies/asthma... After sinus surgery, I can breathe through my nose but I have zero sense of smell, and still have some other issues.

I'm trying not to panic with all I have to do at work this week. I'm barely staying above a panic at the moment. Probably didn't help that dd called me last night in a full blown panic attack. I wish I could help her more but her panic attack gave me a massive headache, I slept poorly, and now I feel anxious. Oy vey.

Hope everyone had a nice Mom's Day. Mine was quiet with no one home....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Today is my 28th birthday. We're not doing anything special, though I am getting a nice icecream cake tonight after my piano lesson. It turns out the homeschooling water park day is also today, so I'm taking the kids over and meeting my husband there at 4:00, then he'll stay with them while I drive up the road to the aforementioned lesson at 6:30. Busy night, but it should be fun.

I'll be so glad to get back on track with food. I've been in a funk for a month but the travel last weekend and then our anniversary, Mother's Day, and my birthday the last few days have caused me to bounce up HUGELY on the scale. I've not been doing great since March but this is ridiculous. So I'm scratching all my carbohydrate itches and will be back on a more controlled plan tomorrow. Which is good, because the only way I stay healthy during and in between pregnancies is by not going nuts and gaining fifty pounds. But I absolutely will if I don't get back on track. So today I eat cake, and probably plenty of it. Tomorrow, back to food sanity
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone!

It's BEAUTIFUL here. I got my fishing license and pole/tackle over the weekend and am dying to leave the office and get out there. Had a lovely Mother's Day and found a lot of brazen fern fiddleheads in the woods - the general consensus seems to be that only ostrich fiddleheads are worth cooking and eating, but I might go collect some anyway and take my small stomach cancer/vitamin B deficiency risk.

Weight followed a normal pattern, spiked a little to reflect weekend eating more than usual, and is back down after a normal day + 7 mile run yesterday.

Happy birthday, Taryl!

Last edited by krampus; 05-12-2014 at 12:34 PM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #11  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

Things have calmed down for me, at least for a little while. This weekend was the first weekend in a long time I didn't have to work or study (well, at least for an immediate test). I actually got to relax, woke up early to walk the dog, practiced my guitar, which I haven't done in months, even streamed a JM workout and worked up a sweat. It was nice to breathe a little bit. I did crack open my GRE study guide and have a lot of refreshing to do. My brain isn't 20 anymore.

BF and I celebrated last week because we bought a lot! (Just a lot, no house, can't afford the house right now lol). We live in a pricy area, but with prices starting to rise again, we know we won't be able to afford it at all in a few years. We found a nice lot that was a great deal and snapped it up. We hope to build on it some day, but if something happens with my job and we need to sell, it's a great investment too. I feel so adult. Actually no. I feel like a kid disguised as an adult.

Krampus, do you have a lake or river that you fish in? Sounds fun! I am curious what fiddleheads taste like. Have you had them before? I've only heard about them on TV etc.

Arctic Mama, happy birthday!!! And congratulations! Enjoy your birthday cake.

Michele, I hope you get more sleep tonight and DD feels better too.

Alison, well, your DD is just expressing her personal style. I'm sure she'll look beautiful!

Happy belated Mother's Day to all the moms here.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

Bill, lol and don't get your lederhosen in a twist either!

Happy Birthday Taryl! Eat that cake today,and then be done with it. Ice cream cake is my favorite.

Megan, congrats on a break and on land! I don't know if anyone ever feels their age or like an adult!

Michele, nothing more stressful than a call like that from DD or DS. It is so common these days. Even HS kids are experiencing panic/anxiety attacks, too much pressure in this world. Hope you get some sleep tonight! I had a stressful night last week DD related and I work up at 2 and couldn't fall back asleep. I debated about laying in bed till 5:30, but just decided to get up at my normal 4:30 to exercise and felt so much better. But that night...went to bed really early!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #13  

DH's BIL (the one that's dying of brain cancer) just spent a week in the hospital. Doctors did a biopsy of his lung (cancer there too) and collapsed it in the process.A nurse identified the problem right away but they didn't believe her because, well she's a nurse and they are doctors. After 3 days of not being able to breathe at all they finally identified the collapsed lung and reinflated it.

I used to have a lot of faith in our health care system. Now that I'm getting to the point where I'll probably need more care due to age I'm getting pretty scared. I can't afford to pay for elaborate health care. I guess I'll try to stay healthy.

Dagmar
Old 05-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #14  

I'm never doing back-to-back dogsits again. I haven only done one yoga session in the last two weeks and man I'm stiff and sore without my almost daily yoga! I will appreciate it even more when I get to do a session every two days.

May 25 - going HOME day!

Dagmar
Old 05-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #15  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, I'm with you. It makes far more sense to get educated about what it takes to stay healthy, and to exercise the discipline to do it. Sadly, getting educated requires a whole lot of effort and seems more and more to require going outside the mainstream sources. And discipline ... oh boy, there's a lifetime project!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote